CS 69s are better for that. Promise you.

Own a set in my strat and am in love with my tone. The 54s are too thin for Mayer.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
If you're looking for Mayer tones, don't you want the Fender Big Dipper p'ups? I dunno if they sell them individually, but that's what comes on the John Mayer Strat.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I'd honestly skip the Fender CS pickups. They're not all that.

Look boutique. I'm a HUGE fan of the Rock Monkey Guitar pickups I got - A custom wound set from rockmonkeyguitars.com. PM CorduroyEW here on UG, tell him what you're looking for, and he'll tell you want he can do. His ear for tone is amazing. Also, there's a 10% discount for UGers.
Quote by BD 425
If you're looking for Mayer tones, don't you want the Fender Big Dipper p'ups? I dunno if they sell them individually, but that's what comes on the John Mayer Strat.

The strat he uses for basically everything doesn't have his Big Dippers in it, no one really knows whats in there.
So I'm going for next best thing.
JM's neck and middle pickups are modeled after vintage 62 pickups. The neck is pretty box standard 62 while the middle is a bit hotter than a "normal" 62. The JM bridge pickup is a whole different ball of wax but he almost never uses it anyway.

The key to JM tone is formvar wire and alnico 5 magnets. I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm pretty sure the CS 54's use alnico 3 which isnt going to sound right. The CS 69 uses smaller diameter magnets and PE wire which sound compleatly wrong.

If it has to be down to a CS 54 or a CS 69 go with the 54. I know that fender has another custom shop set that is better suited for JM tone but can't be bothered to look that up either, however, somebody else might.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
JM's neck and middle pickups are modeled after vintage 62 pickups. The neck is pretty box standard 62 while the middle is a bit hotter than a "normal" 62. The JM bridge pickup is a whole different ball of wax but he almost never uses it anyway.

The key to JM tone is formvar wire and alnico 5 magnets. I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm pretty sure the CS 54's use alnico 3 which isnt going to sound right. The CS 69 uses smaller diameter magnets and PE wire which sound compleatly wrong.

If it has to be down to a CS 54 or a CS 69 go with the 54. I know that fender has another custom shop set that is better suited for JM tone but can't be bothered to look that up either, however, somebody else might.

Fat 50's? or Texas Specials?
Both have Alnico 5s.
^ I think the Texas specials are too hot for JM tones, but I could be wrong, I've only played em like twice i think.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by cratskomodo
Fat 50's? or Texas Specials?
Both have Alnico 5s.

Fat 50's

But I could still make something better

Quote by forsaknazrael
Why don't you wait until you get the HRD, so that way you can decide how your tone needs to be tweaked to get it closer to Mayer?

I would have to agree with that. It's much easier to customize pickups to work with an amp than it is to customize an amp to work with pickups. If you are planning to upgraid your amp soon then get the amp before you upgraid pickups. Who knows, you may even be happy with your tone and not need pickups at all.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by CorduroyEW
Fat 50's

But I could still make something better

I would man, but there's no way for me to purchase something online.

...the Fender Original 57/62's also have Alnico 5's and formvar wire, so which one is better for the John Mayer bluesy tone?

Quote by CorduroyEW

I would have to agree with that. It's much easier to customize pickups to work with an amp than it is to customize an amp to work with pickups. If you are planning to upgraid your amp soon then get the amp before you upgraid pickups. Who knows, you may even be happy with your tone and not need pickups at all.

Well I'd like to know my options ahead of time, just in case
Put a Lollar Blonde in the neck and a Lollar Blackface in the mid and bridge. Johns PU's are
5.7, 6.3, 6.9...thats 1.2 ohms between neck and bridge! Plus the Blonde is AlnicoII and the Backfaces are Alnico V. The blone is a mid scooped PU, like johns, and he plays moslty in positions 5 and 4 (neck, neck-middle), so you get the right alnico sound, with the mid scoop, with the right ohms I have a JM strat, and I put this set in HWY1's for customers all the time that want John's tone for $1000 less, and everyone is very happy...