Okay, today I bought a pack of 11-54 beefy slinkies so I can setup/downtune my guitar and learn some Machine Head/experiment with the tuning. I was aiming to get 12-56's, but my guitar store didn't have any (Fail much?).

I know there shouldn't really be much of a problem, but just wondering how the string tension would be.

I'm not interested in hearing all this bollocks about how stupid/illogical it is to downtune so low.

Alsoooo, would it be best to take all my strings off at once when I put these new ones on (I have a floyd, so alot of adjustment will be needed)

Any help appriciated.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I'd do one at a time, most floyds if you take all the strings off means you have to wedge something under the cavity to get to the saddle bolts. Unless you have a weird liscenced floyd like mine, where the bolts are on top
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by Robbbbb
I'd do one at a time, most floyds if you take all the strings off means you have to wedge something under the cavity to get to the saddle bolts. Unless you have a weird liscenced floyd like mine, where the bolts are on top

I have to lift it up anyway if I have one of the lower strings off anyway, because the bridge relys on the strings so much.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
well if you could take them all off, give's you an opportunity to clean your axe
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
Quote by Robbbbb
well if you could take them all off, give's you an opportunity to clean your axe

Yeah, but there isn't really much point, it just gets covered in dust in no time.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Machine Head use Drop B/C#
(C# F# B E G# C# & B F# B E G# C#)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Drop C# shouldn't be a problem, but I think you'll need a set of 12's for drop B.
------------------
Seeing as they're exactly the same up until the lowest string, the 54 should be just thick enough shouldn't it?
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Basically, my strings are thicker than Phil Demmels main gauge, until the 5th/6th string, the 5th being the exact same, and the 6th is 4 gauges lighter, this shouldn't be that much of a difference in tension, seeing as I think Demmels strings are tight anyway... Always looks that way in vids atleast.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo