With any luck I will be in the market for my first acoustic guitar soon...don't need any built-in pickups or anything like that, as I am nowhere near good enough for people to WANT to listen to me...

Anyway, I have done some research online, and Seagull and Alvarez are top contenders, Larrivee is also on the radar.

More or less I am looking for the best value I can get for my money, I don't care about owning any one brand over another....I am looking for something with a good build quality that sounds pretty...;-) Any thoughts on these companies? Any others I should be looking at?

Thanks.
$800 to $1200 is a lot for an acoustic which isn't meant to be top quality. Of course, you can find some Taylors and stuff well over $2000, but anything in your price range coming from a half-decent brand will be good enough for what you're looking for, I guess. I don't have any particular brand in mind, though. I've heard Seagull is okay.
Quote by mephiston5
... for my first acoustic guitar...
... $800 to $1200 ..

WOW ... why not get a cheaper one (200-500) and as you find out what you like and need from the instrument and as your skills improve, you sell it and get exactly what suits your needs
(Unless money isn't an issue at all or sth ...)
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
Quote by smaniato
WOW ... why not get a cheaper one (200-500) and as you find out what you like and need from the instrument and as your skills improve, you sell it and get exactly what suits your needs
(Unless money isn't an issue at all or sth ...)

exactly what he said...
incubus rocks my world
I bought an Alvarez acoustic cutaway four years ago for around 675 and its a great guitar. has wonderful tone and clarity with fairly easy playability.
Have you ever checked out Ovation guitars? They do some cool things with composite backs and sides.
biggest thing is just to go to a guitar store and play a bunch of different kinds and decide based on what sounds best to you.
yea i would suggest looking at the 300$ thread. then goto a guitar store and try them out. 300 is a good range to get your first guitar. it sounds good enough so that you wont be discouraged from playing and even after upgrading, it will still be a decent backup.

some names to look for in the cheap but good price range would be takamine and seagull although is by no means limited to those.
Thanks for the tips. I actually have played an electric guitar for a few years by now, can do most easy songs, though nothing fancy. This will be my first acoustic though. I will most likely stick to my 800-1200 price range, since I can already play to some extent, I want to get something that I won't will feel need to upgrade in a few years.
Check out the new line of Breedlove's. The Atlas Stage series is right in your price range.
If you know that you want to play acoustic for a long time to come then buying a nice guitar right off the bat isn't a bad idea. Although, you'll probably treat it a bit rough. Everyone treats their first guitar more abusively. A guitar in the $800-$1200 range will be good enough to last you a lifetime.

Martin 15 and 16 series, Larrivee 03 series, Alvarez, Seagull Performer and Artist series, Breedlove Atlas Series, and the Guild GAD series are all within your price range.

Taylors are good guitars, but not unless you can find a 300 series. The ones below this are overpriced.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
^ Captivate's suggestions are great, as usual.

Also, I've had a Larrivee OM-03 for almost a year, and I love it even more every day. I got mine for exactly 800, but I think they've raised prices a bit since then.
It's Only Rock and Roll, But I like It
I would highly recommend a Blueridge BR-180A or 160A. They are both solid wood and made like pre-war Martins, the holy grail of guitars. The A means they have the adirondack spruce top. you can compare with Martins at maurysmusic.com.

I have a blueridge BR-240 which is an upper end copy of a D-18. Top notch guitar. High quality and won't break the bank.
Honestly I don't think you need a lot of money to get a good quality acoustic. The first acoustic I purchased was a Yamaha for about 300 bucks. I still have it and it plays beautifully and is in great condition. If you are looking to spend in that price range, I would go for a Martin.
If you're planning on having this guitar for a lifetime and you're willing to add another $200...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rainsong-AWS1000-Advance-Series-Graphite-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=519961&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26045126

Made of carbon fiber, never warps, is resistant to environmental factors such as humidity, and stays in tune well because of that environmental resistance. Bright, vibrant, "piano-like" tone.

You should probably get a lower-end guitar, though.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say a Sigma might be a good choice. I'm using one of their discontinued 12 string models (with only 6 strings on it), and it is excellent. Sigmas are great for the price. And from my understanding, Sigma is sort of like the "Epiphone" of Martin. In other words, lower prices, slightly lower quality control, play about the same (maybe a little worse), and all manufactured by the "better" company (in this case, Martin).
Last edited by i_don't_know at Dec 24, 2008,
Rainsongs have a very bell-like tone. Quite a unique sound.

Here's an example. Not the best quality, but you can hear the distinct quality of the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXBZHehxAs&feature=channel_page
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
Rainsongs have a very bell-like tone. Quite a unique sound.

Here's an example. Not the best quality, but you can hear the distinct quality of the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXBZHehxAs&feature=channel_page

Rainsongs are awesome. I have always wondered what a duo would sound like with the lead player using a Rainsong and the rhythm player using a Martin. I'm sure they would compliment each other very well.
Anyway here's a suggestion that's kind of far out (literally) but if you're willing to wait for the shipping it will be well worth your while.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Clark-FL1AC-Custom-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-Case_W0QQitemZ160305504750QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Musical_Instruments_Instruments?hash=item160305504750&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Last edited by soul_power at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Guitar Hack
I have a blueridge BR-240 which is an upper end copy of a D-18. Top notch guitar. High quality and won't break the bank.

I agree with this recommendation. It's a great instrument.

Also, don't listen to those who are discouraging you from spending within your price range. If you're ready to stick to it, it is ABSOLUTELY worth every dime. With good planning, you'll be able to get a guitar for $900 that is worlds better than a $500 one.
Thanks a lot, you have given me a lot to think about and my great options to consider. Merry Christmas.
In that price range look at Cole Clark and Maton perhaps aswell, I personally prefer Matons over Martins

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel