As we're all well aware of, the illegal downloading of music has really shaken up the music industry as we know it. It's evolution, of course, and that's fine and dandy, but in retrospect, are things really better this way? Or does it make things harder?

Some examples of what I'm really asking:

Obviously, sites like myspace and youtube have made a phenomenal difference on not only how we access music, but how a band promotes themselves. It's both cheap and easy, and can get a bands music to places that were practically impossible to reach before (like other countries).

But at the same time, doesn't it make it that much harder to make it? With so many other artists using the same resources, aren't your chances even slimmer?

And on that same note, don't programs that correct your pitch, and help you create songs without the slightest knowledge of music at all make it harder for, I guess, for lack of a better term, real musicians that slave over music theory to create that perfect sound? (And by sound I mean style)

Is technology hurting us as much as it's helping us?

And which side outweighs the other?
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
I like it. I think it helps. There's also alot more competition these days, one could argue that would help musicians want to and try to make thier music of the best quality. The bad thing is the money that bands lose from illegal downloading.
I think it also helps at homogenizing the sound of any given area.
Quote by kezzaguy
I like it. I think it helps. There's also alot more competition these days, one could argue that would help musicians want to and try to make thier music of the best quality. The bad thing is the money that bands lose from illegal downloading.

I'd agree if not for the fact that the bands who do make the best quality music that they can won't get signed because it won't appeal to the age brackets that don't download music.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
nah, all wrong
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Theres no f*cking good 80's shred metal at my local Cd store because the "rock" section is clogged full of alternative "rock" **** like Nirvana, Coldplay and Oasis. I can only get good music off the internet
I swear you just got my music apocalypse thread and worded it in your eloquent-ness

I think the fact that nowadays the average person (me, you) can readily make music makes music less of a thing for "professionals".
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by x_thurston_x
\
And on that same note, don't programs that correct your pitch, and help you create songs without the slightest knowledge of music at all make it harder for, I guess, for lack of a better term, real musicians that slave over music theory to create that perfect sound?\

yeah, but just because a dude that doesnt know **** about music can still make something as interesting as a dude that spends years learning theory, etc.

usually because people that worry about theory too much are perfectionists, and perfectionists are never satisfied.

and in a marketing context. the majority of people prefer simplistic, radio-friendly music. thats why the freaking Jonas brothers are so popular. even though their not as musically talented as the guy that can play a billion notes per second.. people will still buy their records.

and the dudes that spend so much time learning theory, etc. if they really did care so much about selling records, then they ought to know that the music industry is nothing but a popularity contest.
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Dec 24, 2008,
music is for everyone. technology is good. people who rip off their favourite bands are bad. good music reaches us, even if its the crap bands that get rich.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
I swear you just got my music apocalypse thread and worded it in your eloquent-ness

I think the fact that nowadays the average person (me, you) can readily make music makes music less of a thing for "professionals".

I don't think that is necessarily very important, really. A lot of the music I like was never done by professionals.. I think part of the problem with technology is that it becomes easier, anyone can walk into a store and buy the same equipment and they're likely to get a similar sound for a much cheaper price than it used to be. The radio uses set lists, and these are used all over the place. And on top of that, it's much easier to get music, so everyone has the same access to the same music. Without the internet, people would have to look much harder for music, and they wouldn't all come up with the same thing, which means there will be cultural difference. Like the difference between the late 80s Sunset Blvd scene and the scene in Seattle.

The fact that people have an easier time figuring out what pedals and amps their heroes use, means they will have an easier time doing something tha was already done.
Quote by Machine Gun Cat
Theres no f*cking good 80's shred metal at my local Cd store because the "rock" section is clogged full of alternative "rock" **** like Nirvana, Coldplay and Oasis. I can only get good music off the internet

There's no good 80s shred metal anyway, so you might as well go looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Quote by pepsi1187
yeah, but just because a dude that doesnt know **** about music can still make something as interesting as a dude that spends years learning theory, etc.

usually because people that worry about theory too much are perfectionists, and perfectionists are never satisfied.

and in a marketing context. the majority of people prefer simplistic, radio-friendly music. thats why the freaking Jonas brothers are so popular. even though their not as musically talented as the guy that can play a billion notes per second.. people will still buy their records.

It's because the music appeals to people who don't download. Young kids, and adults that will buy it for them.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by Machine Gun Cat

Machine Gun Cat is adorable.
Don't know if this is relative or not but a lot of bands endorse illegal downloading as it means their music reaches more people AND gets more people to their concerts

So it pleases the people who do it for music and the people who do it for money
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
Don't know if this is relative or not but a lot of bands endorse illegal downloading as it means their music reaches more people AND gets more people to their concerts

So it pleases the people who do it for music and the people who do it for money

Until their tours have to be canceled because they can't afford to tour. This mainly applies to independent bands when gas prices were at four bucks, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

is music about satisfying oneself n creating something u can be proud of, or making money and getting famous?

that is the question
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Until their tours have to be canceled because they can't afford to tour. This mainly applies to independent bands when gas prices were at four bucks, though.

Are there any examples on this? I wanna read up on it
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
Quote by alwaysmetal
is music about satisfying oneself n creating something u can be proud of, or making money and getting famous?

that is the question

That's a silly question. Even if it is fun and can be creative, it is still a job. Before anything else, it is entertainment. If you can't afford to do your job, that becomes a problem.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-gasrock22-2008jul22,0,870556.story
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529775/20060428/ditty_bops.jhtml?headlines=true
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
That's a silly question. Even if it is fun and can be creative, it is still a job. Before anything else, it is entertainment. If you can't afford to do your job, that becomes a problem.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-gasrock22-2008jul22,0,870556.story
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529775/20060428/ditty_bops.jhtml?headlines=true

ah tell that to all those bedroom players who write songs to cope with say the breakup of there parents or what not

i understand that snot the question TS asked tho
Quote by darkstar2466
Leniency? In the metal forum? This is unheard of. People get massacred here for just walking by.
Quote by alwaysmetal
ah tell that to all those bedroom players who write songs to cope with say the breakup of there parents or what not

i understand that snot the question TS asked tho

There's a difference between a bedroom player and a performer. If you're getting on a stage, you're there to perform. That makes it a job, even if it is just a side job you take up for a hobby. I never said that performers don't use creativity, too.. but it is still a job. I'm cool with people downloading, I'm just saying that if someone is going to reduce funds by allowing download, then they're limiting funds to tour to a place where some kids might want to see the band.

Besides, a bedroom player is STILL entertaining himself.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
There's a difference between a bedroom player and a performer. If you're getting on a stage, you're there to perform. That makes it a job, even if it is just a side job you take up for a hobby. I never said that performers don't use creativity, too.. but it is still a job. I'm cool with people downloading, I'm just saying that if someone is going to reduce funds by allowing download, then they're limiting funds to tour to a place where some kids might want to see the band.

Besides, a bedroom player is STILL entertaining himself.

agreed

personally i only Download a few song off an album and next time when im in the Cd store if i want more ill buy the album

in that way downloading is helping the music industry

many of my favorite bands i would never have bought a single CD if i hadn't downloaded them first
Quote by darkstar2466
Whilst downloading music is effecting the sales badly it does at the time same time help bands get recognition and get word spread out about them when they're starting out. I like to buy my CD's though, so it's all good for me.
Quote by alwaysmetal
agreed

personally i only Download a few song off an album and next time when im in the Cd store if i want more ill buy the album

in that way downloading is helping the music industry

many of my favorite bands i would never have bought a single CD if i hadn't downloaded them first

Hehe, I go to record stores and grab things at random. I have no problem with technology, I just wish people would use it better. And I do still think it makes everybody sound similar instead of having the regional differences that used to be around.
Quote by vintage x metal