So here's my situation. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. I love it and have invested a lot of time and money into it. I've been playing Rock Band since it came out and singing was always my favorite even tho I can only pass like 2 songs on expert. I took these lack of skills to karaoke on thursday. I'm pretty sure my vocal skills were bad but I got the whole once-sitting bar to stand up and sing along and dance. It was a pretty awesome feeling. I sang Skid Row's Youth Gone Wild.

Tonight, I went to a bar with Rock Band. I sucked at singing as usual but I definitely looked the best up there. I always got the crowd involved and sang my ass off. When I played guitar up there, it was a lot more boring compared to singing.

I've always thought I would be a guitarist, but I feel like I have a singer's personality. Plus, my guitar skills aren't amazing. Should I hone my singing ability and put the guitar in the back seat? I love guitar and all, it just seems boring to stand on stage and actually have to hit all the notes to have a good performance. And I like to be the center of attention.

Should I pursue singing? And is "J0nnY NyN3" a good stage name? I've been going by that for the past week.
Quote by JELIFISH19
So here's my situation. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. I love it and have invested a lot of time and money into it. I've been playing Rock Band since it came out and singing was always my favorite even tho I can only pass like 2 songs on expert. I took these lack of skills to karaoke on thursday. I'm pretty sure my vocal skills were bad but I got the whole once-sitting bar to stand up and sing along and dance. It was a pretty awesome feeling. I sang Skid Row's Youth Gone Wild.

Tonight, I went to a bar with Rock Band. I sucked at singing as usual but I definitely looked the best up there. I always got the crowd involved and sang my ass off. When I played guitar up there, it was a lot more boring compared to singing.

I've always thought I would be a guitarist, but I feel like I have a singer's personality. Plus, my guitar skills aren't amazing. Should I hone my singing ability and put the guitar in the back seat? I love guitar and all, it just seems boring to stand on stage and actually have to hit all the notes to have a good performance. And I like to be the center of attention.

Should I pursue singing? And is "J0nnY NyN3" a good stage name? I've been going by that for the past week.

Why do you think that's even remotely relevant?

Look, either you can sing or you can't.

And your stage name is retarded.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
do both.
Hello my name is Tom

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul custom Zakk Wylde Camo
Squier strat with a stacked humbucker
Fender Jagstang sonic blue
BOSS DS-1
Crybaby classic
Quote by steven seagull
Why do you think that's even remotely relevant?

Look, either you can sing or you can't.

Uhh, it shows that I'm not a good singer and that I would have to spend a lot of time working on my voice. I know my voice probably won't sound amazing even if I get good at singing in tune, but did that stop the Vince Neils and Axl Roses? I wold love to do both but I would hate to be restricted to just standing in front of a mic stand. Honestly, I'm more interested in the entertaining aspect than the music aspect. I would rather be noticed for my stage presence and personality than my skills.
That's just it, it doesn't show anything other than the fact that you're quite good at Rock Band....it's got no relation to how well you can sing. All Rock Band is looking for is the correct note and timing, not the quality, power or character of your voice....you can get perfect scores simply by humming as long as you get the pitch and timing right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Axl Rose has a good voice lol, why can't you play guitar and sing at the same time?
and I agree, your stage name is retarded.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
hey dude
erm this might not help u but, i used to be in a band where we did stuff like underoath..bit screamy n singing you know...?
i have been playing guitar for about 7 years now..and its still my number one, sure i love singing/screaming, its all good fun!!
i used to front the band..just singing...and it took half the fun away when i didnt have my guitar...so i say try both!!

where as now if you look at alexisonfire's dallas...he sings amazingly AND does wicked guitar lines...you dont have to just stand infront of a mic..

this is where im at now ^^^^^ i do backup/clean vocals..while our singer goes nuts
it works wonders mate..hope this does help in some way!!
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Dallas Green is an excellent singer. One of the best I have heard in recent years.

@TS - No matter how bad (or good) your voice is now, I am proof that *anyone* can learn to sing. It just takes time and a commitment to learn proper technique. Getting lessons, though, is pretty much a must. Good technique leads to good singing.

I used to be *unbelievably* bad.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ I would endorse that post. I can't sing though.

More to the point, saying you can sing because of Rock Band is like saying you can drum or play guitar because you can nail stuff in Rock Band. Just , really.

And that stage name is incredibly lame. "Johnny Nine" perhaps? Even bands for whom mispelling is cool do it better, take a look at Re-animation by Linkin Park or koRn. They aren't quite as ambitious with fitting so much nonsense into a perfectly ordinary pair of words.
Wtf, Is this real or have i smoked too much again? :|
Quote by XGhacker
1) OMG THE LEAD SINGER OF IRON MAIDEN RAPES HIS SON!!!
Bruce Dick-in-son