ok i have been playing for about 8 months now, only seriously for 4 months..
i have a AE500 yamaha with a very bluesy tone, therein lies the problem because im a metal head, and no matter how hard i try i cant get the sound i want, ok so im going to sell it to a friend of mine.

last month i had seen a Ibanez going for 130 O.R which is about 280 dollars im pretty sure it has emgs on it, one of the guitarists i know says its most likely fake..

i also have a friend who got a ESP as a starter guitar, im not sure which model but i know it cost around 330-350, its in almost perfect condition and he has agreed to sell it to me for the same price of the ibanez.

the ESP is kinda gothy with "spikes"
and the ibanez is black with cream outlining and a backwards headstock

which has a better tone for metal? i know the more expensive ESP would probably but id prefer if someone could clear it up for me.

thanks Ug
Quote by GNRjungle87
What amp do you have?

^ important
and what kind of metal do you want to play? Super hardcore death metal or the more melodic metal?
Quote by VanDutchie
melodic metal
iron maiden, metallica. etc

my amp is ****ing terrible itsa GA-10 from yamaha

i also know which esp it is now.
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_f.html
f-100FM

but i can get a better amp quite easily i think, ive got a friend with a spare marshall

Well it depends on what Marshall your friend has. If it's anything from the MG series, you probably will not get the metal tone that you are looking for.
Quote by VanDutchie
wait nix the fm 100 its the fm 50

Well all the LTD models are pretty much the same (and good for metal) so just pick a design you like.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
living in a 3rd world country i have been searching for a nice guitar

i dont have much choice beyond these two guitars
Quote by GNRjungle87
Well it depends on what Marshall your friend has. If it's anything from the MG series, you probably will not get the metal tone that you are looking for.

i know its probably not the exact tone, but im not looking for THE tone im looking for a tone that my amp and guitar cant get me, and i know a new guitar can
thats what i thought at first, but then my guitar teacher told me i would play so much better with a different kinda of guitar.
you won't play better, a new guitar will feel nicer encouraging you to practice, thus making you a better guitarist. But if you already have the determination to keep practicing, a new amp would be a much, much more worthwhile purchase.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
^ Agreed.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
the new guitar isnt going to give you any type of heavy metal tone out of that amp.

And about the marshall MG series, I played an HDFX in my band for over 2 years, and we play hardcore/metalcore. If you overdrive it enough, it actually has a very heavy sound, but it'll only take you so far.

Buy a small line6 amp or something, it will be ten times over a better investment than a new guitar.

Btw, we're assuming both the ESP and Ibanez are double coil right? If not just rule the single out automatically.
Quote by aradroxar
you need a new amp your current guitar will do you fine

Agreed, A new amp will get you closer to the tone you want than a new guitar. A new guitar will sound about the same in the amp you have.
thank you for accepting our advice

threads like this pop up once a week and 99.99 percent of the time, people are stubborn about taking advice

so

SUBSCRIBE!

Gibson SG faded, black hardware/ EMG81-89
peavey 6505+
GMajor Effects Processor
BBE 362 sonic maximizer
THD Hotplate
Avatar 2x12 w/ Hellatone 60/ K100
Behringer FB1010
Quote by VanDutchie
well given the experience difference id go with your advice :P

kudos to you my friend

now, what is your budget and what kinda music do you play?

for now i'm gonna assume you have about $300 and play metallica-like music; if so, then you're looking at something like THIS or THIS.

The Palomino is miles better than the Vypyr but you'll struggle to find a good metal tone without a good pedal. But the Vypyr comes with a load of effects and amp models that are more suitable for metal, but hey, your call.

Alternatively, and if you don't mind some blemishes, take a look at THIS, it's like the Palomino but does metal a bit better and leaves some cash over for some kick-ass effect pedals.

Yet another, and probably the best, alternative is to save up a little bit more and get THIS. This, dear sir, will make you sound like a metal GOD.

Have fun deciding
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Last edited by aradroxar at Dec 24, 2008,
to the dude above.
im not quite looking for an online buy although i wouldnt deny a good deal.
the two guitars + some amp i can find over here is what ive been contemplating
Quote by VanDutchie

the two guitars + some amp i can find over here is what ive been contemplating

rephrase, does not compute
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
i see, where are you at?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
in the middle east.. right next to saudi arabia, oman...
my parents are also slightly adverse to online shopping..
i see, hmm well then you're better off looking at peavey vypyrs as i'm gonna assume that tube amps are pretty expensive over there (i'm not sure).
But just go around different shops and try out anything within your price range but always remember tube/valve>solid state.

Could you enlighten us by giving rough estimates of amp prices?
i got the esp and a new amp (older fender frontman 30w)
for 220$
and i have the tone i want now yay!
I would say get a better amp and hang on to your guitar a while. Try plugging a wal-mart guitar into a nice amp and see how that sounds? Not bad! Then take a nice guitar and plug into a wal-mart amp? HORRIBLE!!! Get a new amp! I would say a 15 watt PEAVEY VYPYR would be a good choice for you.