I'm about to switch to active pickups. I'm looking to fatten and beef up my sound mostly. I play mostly metal like anything from Killswitch Engage to Black Label Society. What would you all recommend for the bridge position? I'll be installing it in a Jackson, btw. Also, I'm playing through a Marshall JCM 800 2210, but I'll probably be getting a Peavey XXX soon.
Last edited by renegade731 at Dec 24, 2008,
seymour duncan blackouts
or
EMG 81/85 W/ 18 volt mod
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I was kind of leaning toward the EMG's mainly because I'm not as familiar with the Blackouts. As for the EMG's, which would be better the 81 or 85. Was the 85 meant to be used in the neck position? The reason I ask is because I heard Adam Dutkiewicz of Killswitch Engage uses the EMG 85 in the bridge position. I'm just really behind in my knowledge of pickups... lol. Also, forgot to mention that the pickup I'm replacing is a SD JB.
emg 81/85 or 81/60 combination

pretty much the standard for what you're looking for
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by fwibble
emg 81/85 or 81/60 combination

pretty much the standard for what you're looking for

What's the difference and which one would I put in the bridge?
Just so you know, you can't have one active and one passive in a guitar unless you wire them on seperate circuits.

The only way I'd recommend EMGs to anyone is if they do the 18v mod.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Just so you know, you can't have one active and one passive in a guitar unless you wire them on seperate circuits.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize you couldn't do that. I never use my other 2 pickups though. So, would it just be possible to disconnect the other 2? I know some of these maybe dumb questions, but like I said I'm way behind on my knowledge of pickups.
One more thing, do you guys think the active pickups would be the way to go over passive pickups to beefen and thicken up my tone?
Quote by Raijouta

Don't make fun of my 9v EMG's Raji!

Check out Blackouts, Livewires, and EMG 81/60. I really like the sound of the livewires, not many people seem to know about them, but they really have a nice tone. Like a beefed up JB/Jazz combo.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
i have a EMG 81 setup in my squire strat, and its a hug improvement, the only problem is they come with a damn battire, so if you get active pickups, get a hole routered out in the back so you can replace the thing, unless you just like dissabling the thing. and never leave the guitar plugged in when you aint playing it. cause it will die. but they are very hot pickups. takes some getting use to.