What are my best options, in terms of stings, for getting a darker sound?

I currently use #9 D'Addario's on an Ibanez RG1570 through a Bugera 333XL playing E Standard. However, they're far too bright and twangy for the music I play. I've got some #10's on a Drop D Squier that's been modified with the original pickups from my Ibanez and that does sound much darker.

Now, are there any other brands that'll let me get a nice dark sound whilst still staying at #9 guage, or will I need to go up to #10's to get a darker sound? I'd ideally like to keep the guage as it means not having to re-adjust the setup of the guitar, and also I prefer playing on 9's.

Ta.
Try a set of D'Addario Chromes. They are smooth, which cuts down on string noise but also means you can't do any pick scrapes. If you want to hear how they sound, then check out the song on my profile called "Say It". I used Chromes on a 7 string Ibanez with a Blaze pickup in the bridge.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
You can also try a set of pure nickel strings as they are warmer and less bright sounding.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Also going up a guage or even two will give you bigger warmer tone. So what if you'll have to re-setup your guitar, it'll be worth it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Going from nickel plated to pure nickel will add warmth. Chromes and such can be really hard to find in .09s.
since im here, im gonna toss my question out there
i play metal and neo-classical and im using DR EXTRA 10s,i doin the the right thing? I wanna try the pure Nickel or Titanium strings yes or no?
Most brands have a line of pure nickel strings. Might have to order em off the net most places have a pretty limited selection of strings. When a store carries fender brand they will usually have the nickel style as they were used alot on vintage stuff.
dunno about dark, but rotosounds (the nickel plated ones) are nice and warm. the pure nickel ones are probably even warmer but i haven't tried them yet. i thought d'addarios were way too bright and twangy too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by hxckma
since im here, im gonna toss my question out there
i play metal and neo-classical and im using DR EXTRA 10s,i doin the the right thing? I wanna try the pure Nickel or Titanium strings yes or no?

Don't Thread Steal.

And as far as strings go, you should learn how to do the less involved stuff of a setup yourself, they're not that hard, i could teach my 5 year old to do it.
After learning that, you should be changing your strings fairly often anyways, so instead of just changing the strings, change string sizes and types so you know about the differences in strings first hand.