Hello there!

On my Ibanez, besides Tone and Volume knob, there is this little "stick" u can adjust, and from what i've read it changes something with the pickups.

HOW is this handy? i can hear the sound changes, but how is this useful? currently its placed directly center, should it be placed different? all these questions!
Hehe, that's called pickup selector. It changes which pickup your using as you might have noticed and this is handy because pickups sound different in different positions.

You sometimes might want to use the neck pickup for some cleans and then switch to the bridge pickup with some overdrive to solo or anything you find them handy for. Yep, indeed is an usufull tool.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Sounds like you're talking about a pickup selector. It's a switch that determines which pickup you're using to get your guitar tone. How many pickups do you have? How many "notches" are there when you flip the switch? Flipping it towards the butt of the guitar is for the bridge pickup, and towards the head of the guitar is for the neck pickup. anything in the middle is a blend unless you have a middle pickup, too.
Quote by Deciphor

i can hear the sound changes, but how is this useful?

You sir, have answered your own question
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux
You sir, have answered your own question

This. You don't have to follow general guidelines, but almost everyone uses the bridge for higher gain rhythm while the neck is set up for lower gain stuff (and in some cases, high gain leads).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hey. My guitar has these 6 wire-like thingies. I notice when I pull on one and release it, it makes a noise. If I turn one of the knobs on this box thingie that sits on the floor, it makes more noise (it's plugged into a weird thing on the wall) - almost like it's angry. How are these things useful and why would I want to do this? Oh, also, if I do this in front of a crowd of people, they clap and cheer. Should I be worried that they want to hurt me? HELP!!!
Thanks, and NO i wasn't joking It's my first guitar, i've only had it for a while.

There are 2 pickups, the pickup selector is like: 2 1 0 1 2 where 0 is middle.

Soo left (closest to neck) is better suited for cleans (low gain) and the righty is more "dirty" if i can put it that way.

And lmao @ Stevens post xD... it occurs to me that my question was a wee bit silly

And YES IM A NEWBIE
Quote by Deciphor
Thanks, and NO i wasn't joking It's my first guitar, i've only had it for a while.

There are 2 pickups, the pickup selector is like: 2 1 0 1 2 where 0 is middle.

Soo left (closest to neck) is better suited for cleans (low gain) and the righty is more "dirty" if i can put it that way.

And lmao @ Stevens post xD

And YES IM A NEWBIE

We noticed. But everyone has to start somewhere. I used to think a whammy bar worked by pulling it towards the floor and not away form the guitar
alright, i lol'd. now you learned something, try my hobby. its spelled R-E-A-D-I-N-G.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by domino_92
We noticed. But everyone has to start somewhere. I used to think a whammy bar worked by pulling it towards the floor and not away form the guitar

To be fair, it works both ways, depending on how it/your guitar are set up...

Also, I'm going to refer to it as a "pick-up changing stick" now, TS. Thanks for a good laugh
Quote by HorizonShadow
Just eat the headstock.

That'll make you look mad.
Ahh, it's good to be an elitist.

STOP BEING SO HORRIBLE, PEOPLE. Guy's gotta start somewhere.

I came to this thread hoping for some magic stick that would make pickup changes less of a pain in the ass... damn I was disappointed