Page 1 of 2
Finished pictures on page 3!

Video on page 4

So as a part of my GCSE product design i decided on building a guitar and boy didnt i know what i let myself in for, its been a lot of tough agnozing work trying to figure everything out(this is my first time so be nice to me ), im about halfway through the build.

The body is made out of solid wenge, cost be about £25 from craft supplies. Its bloody hard stuff to cut and if you get it in your eyes or skin it hurts! Smell like chocolate .

The neck is plain maple, so is the fretboard.

The pickups that im putting are Irongear rolling mills(great pickups for the price in the uk)

Body with neck just push fitted.

Front of the guitar, just with the pots in and knobs, nothing else, pikcup cavities still need to be routed.

Side of the guitar, can see some sap wood from the wenge, about 40mm thick the body, still needs to sanded down with a high grit.

Back ferrules holes drilled in and main part of the cavity for controls is done, the whole cavity needs to be routed completely first.

Back of headstock, TC (referring to telecaster) and 93(my birthday)

Neck pocket routed out and drilled.

Neck of the guitar, with vinyl with my intials.
Last edited by TheBeatles64 at Feb 15, 2009,
looks good!

smells like chocolate? the walnut im using for a jem build smells like a fresh baked cake when i power sand it or cut it. mmmmm...
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Lol, ive been adding pictures with the edit tool, i submitted the post before i did anything..
Anyone know how i should finish this guitar? Tung oil? I bascially want a clear finish but glossy, any suggestions would be really helpful!
Quote by TheBeatles64
Anyone know how i should finish this guitar? Tung oil? I bascially want a clear finish but glossy, any suggestions would be really helpful!

Just get some clear gloss lacquer then!
Lookin good though, neat routing!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Are the knobs going to be orange and the switch white when it's finished?? That doesn't work for me.

Other than that it's looking good.
Actually no, there just some random knobs, the knobs are going to be chrome. Most fo the hardware, pickup surround chrome, bridge chrome, ect..
You bugger! We have to build the neck for our projects

Doesn't really matter though, its actually really fun, worried about fretting is all Looking really good though, looking forward to seeing what this gets, all wenge looks tasty!
Haa yea, i was going to build the neck, i had all the parts, but seeing the time frame, compeltion in feburary i thought it might be a bit tight, so i opted to buy one . P.s. the wenge is very tasty but soo heavy!
I wouldn't mind a real heavy guitar if it was tasty!

How heavey is it, more than an LP?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
I wouldn't mind a real heavy guitar if it was tasty!

How heavey is it, more than an LP?

The body weighs alone 9.5 lbs so yea its quite heavy.
I was thinking of maybe doing a chrome type finish of the guitar seeing as all my hardware is chrome based. Ive researched alot into it, chrome paint (ones from halfords and places) are generally useless, i have found out about a material called mylar sheet , which is 95% refelecting and looks extremely similar to chrome. And then put that with some adhesive and then put some clear laquer on it.

What you guys think? it might be interesting a chrome tele
No way man, just finish it natural!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
That wood is sexy. Seriously, leave it natural. I would be tempted to leave as is or just a bit of oil...
Tung oil maybe? Or just slap it with some poly..or if you have patience do it up with nitro.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
that wood makes me feel all tingly inside.....
no serioously dude, nice wood.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Danish oil and finishing wax. Really you dont even need to put anything on it at all, wenge is so hard and will buff to a nice finish just by sanding through the grits to 1200. Micro mesh even further if you wanna get it even shinier.

Visually from a distance Wenge's not a bad substitute for Rosewood either. Think Rosewood would be lighter though lol
Last edited by jscustomguitars at Dec 26, 2008,
Quote by jscustomguitars
Danish oil and finishing wax. Really you dont even need to put anything on it at all, wenge is so hard and will buff to a nice finish just by sanding through the grits to 1200. Micro mesh even further if you wanna get it even shinier.

Visually from a distance Wenge's not a bad substitute for Rosewood either. Think Rosewood would be lighter though lol

Thanks alot Js i appreciate it, i was just thinking maybe some sanding sealer and the wax. Is danish oil a better route, i guess with putting that no laquer is needed right?

Also: Js or anyone else, what are the best place to get finishing supplies in the Uk? it always seems were short of everything
Last edited by TheBeatles64 at Dec 26, 2008,
Got back from a hard days work at workshop and got quite alot done.

Back of the guitar now has a stainless steel control cavity plate, that i had to make because my caivty is bigger than standard sizes.

All chrome hardware on.

Neck bolted to the body now

A little photoshopping of the guitar.

At a view with all pockets routed

Holding it up

Last edited by TheBeatles64 at Jan 3, 2009,
Theres all the weeks progresion pictures.

Comments are much appreciated.
Last edited by TheBeatles64 at Jan 3, 2009,
looks space age ified with all the chrome stuff :P
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Looks good. I really like that Wenge, looks really nice. But I wouldnt want a guitar that weighed over 10 pounds or more with a neck on it. I would Danish Oil it to leave it natural, it looks somewhat like the old Rosewood Teles in color.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Jan 10, 2009,
Don't bump this thread unless your the TS!

i got excited. :P
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by vinc3nt
that wood makes me feel all tingly inside.....
no serioously dude, nice wood.

lmao, can I sig this?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
A ha a few more updates the guitar is practicaly finished now just got to put a finish on it, its probably going to be a red trasnparent finish or clear coated laquer finish. Heres some photos you can enjoy, LOTS OF PHOTOS.

A little concept logo tell me what you think.

Camera acting weird in this one.

A very nice pic.

Headstock with strings not cut

Iron gear (uk) rolling mill pickups.

That is just sweet as hell dude. You should be very, very proud of that!

Although if it were mine I would have identical pups, rather than one covered and one not. But, whatever, your axe, man. It's sweet
I'm very picky with this kind of thing, but you have a really beautiful looking guitar there. Reminds me of blackmachines - unusual wood and simplicity.

Personally I'd have had both pickups covered, but i guess that's just personal taste. I actually don't mind the bridge pickup in that, which is unusual for me ^^

Pretty pretty thing - I'm going to have to start my build soon. just can't put it off any longer

EDIT: Oil the wood! don't colour it!

http://www.blackmachine.net/

like on some of these - maybe tinted SLIGHTLY darker. But only slightly!
Last edited by shoolocomous at Jan 13, 2009,
Wow thanks alot man , im going to get a chrome cover for the other one maybe, how hard are they to apply, dont you just solder the back of the pups to the case?. Keep the comments coming people
that looks reeeeeallly nice.

definately go with an oil finish, though, I really dont think it'd look as great with a colour...

edit: and you could get pickup cover here: http://www.allparts.com/store/pickup-covers-rings-parts-pickup-covers,Category.asp

but shoot a PM to nuthinbuttrubl8, hes an allparts vendor, and can usually get you stuff a bit cheaper
Last edited by james4 at Jan 13, 2009,
Quote by james4
that looks reeeeeallly nice.

definately go with an oil finish, though, I really dont think it'd look as great with a colour...

can you use oil finish and then clear lacquer it over the top, i just brought some clear laqcuer for about £15 and dont want to waste it..
Page 1 of 2