Hey bassists.
I'm looking for a bass to do some recording, and maybe if I like it take it seriously.
I can use my Spider III as an amp, not interested in buying a bass amp if I'm only toying around a bit a first. My Price range is $300-$500au. So about $350 american at most.

I play mainly thrash metal, but also dulge into some classic rock, some alternative and punk, and some reggae/ska. So I'm looking for something very versatile, but a tad more metal orientated. I want to play fingerstyle.
I play an Epi Les Paul if that helps.

From looking in threads I found that the Ibanez GSR200 was pretty popular, but I'm not much of an Ibanez sort of guy and don't really dig the shape.

But I'm open to all suggestions.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
there are some cort and ibanez basses that switch from active to passive so you get a large variety of sounds. i think theyre pretty reasonably priced too.
Quote by zacharydak
Hey bassists.
I'm looking for a bass to do some recording, and maybe if I like it take it seriously.
I can use my Spider III as an amp, not interested in buying a bass amp if I'm only toying around a bit a first. My Price range is $300-$500au. So about $350 american at most.

So your your interested in buying another guitar amp? Because a bass will kill it. Maybe not the first time, but it will happen.

But anyways....

Squier's are good, especially the Classic Vibes series or Vintage modified series. Ibanez is a pretty solid choice as well.
Quote by Captain Insano
So your your interested in buying another guitar amp? Because a bass will kill it. Maybe not the first time, but it will happen.

But anyways....

Squier's are good, especially the Classic Vibes series or Vintage modified series. Ibanez is a pretty solid choice as well.

He doesn't care about the spider, because those things are a piece of ****.

I hope.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You'll definately need a bass amp unless you don't care about breaking your amp

anyway, get a Squier, I have one, they're great starter basses.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by watchingmefall
Get a bass amp, you will kill the guitar amp eventually.

I recommend a Squier VM P-Bass, great bass and great price.

the vm jazz is also good. and maybe just an amp like this. They're known for being a good brand from their practice amps all the way through their highest end amp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=acoustic+bass+amp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
the vm jazz is also good. and maybe just an amp like this. They're known for being a good brand from their practice amps all the way through their highest end amp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=acoustic+bass+amp&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&Search=Go

Personally I would have said the Jazz which I prefer, but looking through what he is going to play I'd rather have the P-Bass.
I don't really want to buy an amp, as I am currently trying to fund my electric guitar's marshall stack, and my priority is my guitar. But the spider is a p.o.s as most of you know, I don't really mind wrecking by playing a bass in it.

Really, I don't.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I've never been caught (beating off), but my dad was picking up my gf once and "accidentaly" grabbed her boobs.
Quote by zacharydak
I don't really want to buy an amp, as I am currently trying to fund my electric guitar's marshall stack, and my priority is my guitar. But the spider is a p.o.s as most of you know, I don't really mind wrecking by playing a bass in it.

Really, I don't.

Instead of wrecking it, why don't you sell it to some poor, unsuspecting sucker
First of all as said before.
DONT PLAY BASS THROUGH A GUITAR AMP

next,
Squire are great starters and will work for you for quite a while.

-Ryan
Since you R coming from guitar I would say first try basses with 19mm string spacing. They will feel most comfortable and allow ease of play. IME
Quote by zacharydak

Really, I don't.

But if you wreck it, then you're back in the rut of not having something to amplify the bass. You can probably find a cheap amp for less than $50. Maybe even $20 used. It may sound crap, but at least you aren't going to end up with a smoking piece of overpriced garbage.
Get an ibanez gsr200,I would post a link but I don't know how to do that from my iPod.
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
omg, cheap amp new

just sayin...

but for metal, I've always liked Schecter and Ibanez, Ibanez will get you much better in the price range, IMO.

SRX anyone?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Deliriumbassist
But if you wreck it, then you're back in the rut of not having something to amplify the bass. You can probably find a cheap amp for less than $50. Maybe even $20 used. It may sound crap, but at least you aren't going to end up with a smoking piece of overpriced garbage.

a spider III is already a smoking piece of overpriced garbage!
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
I just remembered that I have a toneport that can act as an beginning amp perfectly.

I'm leaning towards an Epi Thunderbird, as I see them as a classy explorer, and have always wanted a firebird. Good choice?

All my guitar's are Epiphone and they have served me well. As much as I want to try new brands I prefer tried and tested.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
I would stay away from epiphone, their guitars are excellent, but their basses are no where close to the same quality as their guitars
Quote by zacharydak
I just remembered that I have a toneport that can act as an beginning amp perfectly.

I'm leaning towards an Epi Thunderbird, as I see them as a classy explorer, and have always wanted a firebird. Good choice?

All my guitar's are Epiphone and they have served me well. As much as I want to try new brands I prefer tried and tested.

In the bass forum the thunderbird is like a Marshall MG.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
it is much worse, a Marshall Mg can sound ok, even if it leaves something desired.

a T-bird only has a semblance of good tone when it is a Gibson.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it is much worse, a Marshall Mg can sound ok, even if it leaves something desired.

a T-bird only has a semblance of good tone when it is a Gibson.

No, it really can't sound ok.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
No, it really can't sound ok.

you can get a clear, passable tone that will stand out in the mix and allow your little bits to stand out.

untrue of the T-bird. I didn't say desirable tone, I said ok.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard