Poll: Mids: Scooped or Raised?
Poll Options
View poll results: Mids: Scooped or Raised?
I like the middle in my eq to be scooped
43 21%
I like the middle in my eq to be raised
158 79%
Voters: 201.
Page 1 of 3
My friend thinks that it's best to scoop mids and lower bass and boost treble because he thinks that guitar is a "middle instrument as is" and doesn't need any more and the bass frequencies are for the bass. He thinks that rock and metal should be in a smiley face and that "classical guitar" should be in a frowney face.

I think that it is the opposite, guitar should have a nice amount of treble and a large amount of bass and middle. I like to keep my settings at (bass, middle, treble) 6,6,4.

So we where at a pawn shop today playing a Marshal TSL JCM 2000, and he gets up and scoops all the mids, lowers the bass, and pushes the treble really hard. It sounds bland and unoriginal.

My question to you is: Should mids on a guitar be scooped or raised?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

I like them raised.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
Let's make it a poll!
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Like it scooped, but that's personal preference, I don't actually have a good reason for it.
I think that scooped mids has become so typical of metal that a bandwagon has been created for "I raise my mids", and everyone jumped on that so as to not be associated with the newbs who scoop them.
raised ftw
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Depends on what tone and style your are going for. If you want a good metal rhythm, scoop. Metal lead, and everything else, I like to raise.
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
I voted raised. I used to have em scooped, but then I tried a little bit of everything, and found that the best settings (for me) are as follows:
Bass: 2 o'clock
Mid: 6 " "
Treble: 3 " "
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Neither, I like my mids to be in...well...the middle
Quote by ravioli123
James, a type of sandwich:

A sandwich that consists of ham, turkey, roast beef, shredded cheese, nacho cheese doritos, and ranch on a toasted bun.
"Hey man lets go get a couple James's for lunch"
Quote by ginjaninja
I think that scooped mids has become so typical of metal that a bandwagon has been created for "I raise my mids", and everyone jumped on that so as to not be associated with the newbs who scoop them.

There is no "bandwagon"

If you scoop your mids in a live situation then you get lost in the mix. The guitar is a midrange instrument, if you cut back on the midrange too much then you're ripping the guts out of your tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Raised or scooped.

I actually go both ways

It all just depends on the sound I'm looking for. Hell, I remember one band practice, I actually had my treble and bass on 4 and 4 respectively, with my mids dimed.

It just really varies with the day. But, I guess on average my mids are dimed or on 8.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
All depends on the style.
For Metal, you want to boost BOTH treble and bass, and scoop the mids.
...and you need to tell your friend that he has no idea what he's talking about.
I like having my Mids Raised(Full) abit of Treble and no Bass, I am using a Gibson LP though
My Setup:

Tokai LP Copy (Korean)
Peavey Classic 30
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
EHX USA Big Muff Pi
Aria 12-String Acoustic Guitar
Quote by ginjaninja

Not really. Even when I played metal ( and I still do sometimes! ) I liked my mids raised. It just sounds better for my ears. But I could imagine that your point may be true in some cases.
Quote by stinger12345
It even says "High Quality" in the title, so you KNOW it's quality
For me, it depends on what style Im playing. For bluesey cleans like John Mayer, I cut em. But for metal, because my amp doesnt normally produce gobs of gain, i normally have em cut to around 4 or 5, with the bass up around 6 or 7, and treble maybe 8. But for lighter stuff, i do put alot more mids in it.
i play out of a marshall TSL 2000, a fender twin, and a rivera thirty-twelve, all simultaneously through an ABC switcher...the marshall has its EQ flat, the fender twin has tthe ability to play the clean and crunch channel at the same time, so clean is flat and crunch its boosted, and the mids are cut on the rivera....i cant play any other way, i have the variety of all the sounds
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
i usually keep my mids fairly balanced with the rest of my settings. of course, how you should EQ an amp depends very much on the amp, and how you like it to sound. Generally i have a slight mid-boost in my amp's EQ - not too much though, as that makes you sound like your amp has a telephone speaker. I can live with scooped mids too, i actually use scooped tones fairly often, i don't like it as much as having the mids there, but as long as it doesn't scoop to the point where it sounds like phase cancelling and disappear from the mix, it's all good

Quote by steven seagull

There is no "bandwagon"

If you scoop your mids in a live situation then you get lost in the mix. The guitar is a midrange instrument, if you cut back on the midrange too much then you're ripping the guts out of your tone.

what about that "mids at 10 or you suck" jizzwagon we had a while back that appears to have died down now (i surely hope!), but was annoying as hell while it was around?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Dec 24, 2008,
scooped at home

i wouldnt if i was playing in a band
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
My mids are in the middle... I've got a very middy amp and the only way to not drown out a vocalist is to not overpower them with the midrange frequencies. Same goes with bass, you don't need a ton before you start to interfere with the bassist. And cranking the treble just sounds like crap at high volumes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
you do realise that the guitar is a mid-range instrument? If you lower it your eliminating yourself from the sound spectrum when you play with a band. It may sound ok on your own though, but you need the mids with the band as the other instruments cover the frequencies for you Bass guitar=bass, Drum cymbals=treble Guitar=mid
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
mids 10 bass 7 treb depending on what guitar i use
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
My friend thinks that it's best to scoop mids and lower bass and boost treble because he thinks that guitar is a "middle instrument as is" and doesn't need any more and the bass frequencies are for the bass. He thinks that rock and metal should be in a smiley face and that "classical guitar" should be in a frowney face.

You should tell him that the amp's EQ doesn't "add" anything. Turning the mids to the max doesn't add mids, that's the max amount of mids the amp has to offer.
Turning the knob back only cuts frequencies.

So he's right in the fact that it's a "midrange instrument" but he's still cutting out all those midrange frequencies. Now he's intruding on the Bass' space in the live mix.
Obviously it's all about personal taste and how it works in your ear.

Personally, I like the Bass and Treble at full (9 or 10), and then the Mid at about 3.

I experiment a lot though, for different sounds, but most often I come back to that setting.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
personally i do this, for my metal tone
Gain 10
Treble 10
Mids 7 or 8
Bass 6-8
I have BMT on like 5 4 6. Having a 5150 means I have to scoop mids to a degree coz anything about 6 and it's too middy.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I max out the mids on my Ultra module, but it's naturally scooped so it doesn't sound like a phone. I roll back the trebble a bit and add in a little bass. I'll just have to see how it handles live.
I like to raise my mids, but I play blues and stuff like that.
I usually have my BMT set at 4, 8, and 5
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
I like to raise my mids, but I play blues and stuff like that.
I usually have my BMT set at 4, 8, and 5

I was wondering when you where gonna show up.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I was wondering when you where gonna show up.

Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I usually leave my mids at noon for drive. I might drop them to 11 or 10 oclock but thats it. Clean, depending on the amp I will lower or raise the mids.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Mids at 10, always.

Unless I'm playing jazz, which is when I set my EQ flat. Maybe scoop some bass.
Usually have mids ar 12 O'clock and the bass and middle a little higher depending on the room but I dont set anything to max or minimum, thats the easiest way to get a bad sound IMO.
Page 1 of 3