Right, so, I've been looking to upgrade my amp for a while but haven't been able to make a real decision. I've been playing around on lots of amps and have come to a very broad decision. I'll be looking for heads because I have a nice cabinet and heads tend to be slightly cheaper.

Laney- I haven't gotten to play this amp, but I've heard some good things about the V100HR head because one of my favorite guitarists plays two of these heads one straight distorted and another with a fuzz face. I dig the ability to be able to get it really distorted if need be (and I've heard that it responds nicely to pedals in front of it) but can pull off some of the more classic rock/hard rock/blues tones that I like.

Bugera 333xl/333-I really like the 3 channels that it offers and it can really shred but if I put a TS-808 in the crunch I could pull off a sweet 70's/80's rock tone.

Marshall- I'm not really digging this as much because of it's price goes up 500 bucks just for the name on the head. If any thing it would be a Vintage Modern or TSL JCM 800. But the one channel on the Vintage Modern is a big problem because I don't like to rely on foot pedals for the bulk of my tone.

Peavy- I played the JSX combo in a GC one time and it was one of the nicest amps I've played. The 3 channels can bring out a sparkling clean and a sweet crunch. The versatility is something that I really like and it has a nice design.

Line 6- I like the tonal versatility in the Spider Tube that I can get from this amp. If I run the bigger channel switcher I could get a wide range of tones from. I'm also interested in the Line 6 Vetta. My complaints though are the massive amounts of channels cause a large amount of possible problems such as a large volume increase from channel to channel.

Bogner- Today I was up at a local music shop and saw a nice amount of Bogner amps. I don't know the particular model names, but I saw a nice head that had lots of tonal options and switches and what not. Not much experience here.

I like to play rock (Think Zepp), Hard Rock (think GNR) metal (think Pantera, Slayer etc.) Blues (Albert King) Jazz and what ever the band HIM is.

Any help is appreciated.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Dec 24, 2008,
What type of music are you most interested in playing
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
Ah, I forgot that didn't I?

Let me super edit it.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Was it a Bogner Shiva? If the price is right, I'd get that. It can pull off a whole tonne of sounds on its own, and you can beef it up with a drive pedal if you feel like you have to. My dad owns one of these and he drives it from a 60's-70's rock tone all the way up to a Death-Metalish distortion (he loves Slayer for whatever reason). The cleans are pretty nice on it too, there's also a built in reverb channel that sounds pretty decent.

If not, I'd check out the Bugera. It's supposed to be a pretty kickass head, but you've gotta be careful for tech support and such... apparently its not very good.
go for the JSX its a very versatile amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
go for the JSX its a very versatile amp

But it's so damned expensive.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

buy it used or a peavey xxx the jsx is pretty much a hot roded peavey xxx
but if you buy the bugera 333xl (a clone JSX) make shure to take it to a tech and re bias the tubes
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Bogner's more.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Superstrat101
Was it a Bogner Shiva?

It was probably an Alchemist. A lot of places carry them now but don't actually carry the "real" Bogners

I say, go for the JSX. If you go used, you can get them in $700 range and they're pretty sweet amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
JSX. You get what you pay for, which is a good amp with great options and tone.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by MatrixClaw
It was probably an Alchemist. A lot of places carry them now but don't actually carry the "real" Bogners

I say, go for the JSX. If you go used, you can get them in $700 range and they're pretty sweet amps.

Alchemist was it. It was only like 1100 USD. Yeah, I'm thinking about doing a bit of ebay shopping.

JSX buy it now price is only 900 USD.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The Alchemist's sound pretty cool. You won't find any used ones anytime soon
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Haven't played the laney or the bugera. Out of those though, the bogner is very nice. I'd be concerned about long term reliability since its brand new and isn't made in the US, but overseas in china. Not to say that's bad, just that I don't wanna be one of the first to have one is all.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
the line 6 vetta 2 looks amazing
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by hxckma
get the Peavey

/thread

Laney>peavey.
hey man,
bogner kills the other amp brands you mentioned.
peavey gets reallllyyy noise when cranked, even though the JSX has a noise gate it still doesnt reduce all the noise from the amp.

dude try egnater amps if thats how you spell it:S try the model tourmaster 2x12 combo-really good.

or Engl has sparkling cleans like fender and really tight distortion thats warm and electric

or maybe....hmmm....VHT pitbull 50/12? the cleans are like fender meets vox=Amazing. the distortion has lots definition and clarity. it also cleans up very well when backing off the volume on your guitar.

those are my recommendations to you my friend.
good luck merry christmas
Quote by imgooley
Laney>peavey.

And you claim to be American?

^I doubt he has the money for half of those amps.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude

well i just saw a VHT pitbull 50/12 on my craigslist for 950...not much of a price difference from the JSX. plus it would be 1000 times better to save a extra 3-400 for a engl. it would be more than worth it.
Quote by imgooley
Laney>peavey.

This. If you can, get one
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
Well if you want versatility:

Carvin V3
Used Mark IV (or Mark III)
I hear the JSX is pretty versatile too but Ive never played one.
Quote by aznrockerdude

Well, hypothetically, money isn't an object per se, but is more of a time limit. I plan on getting a job that pays about 7.00 USD/hour and working 12 hours a week for four weeks a month means that I can net (after taxes) about 228.4 USD/month. But only about 40% can go into an amp. So that means that I can only get about 137.08 USD per month.

Divide that by 1400 USD (for the largest possible amount) means that I'd have to work about 10 months to get that much money. However, my dad said that if I bring him 1000 dollars in cash, that he'd match me up that much money. (So if I bring 700 USD to him, he'll spot me that much back). So I'd only have to work for about 5 or 6 or 7 months, at most, and less if I can find a good deal used.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

$7.00 an hour ??? Ouch.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
$7.00 an hour ??? Ouch.

You gotta get by somehow right?

And to be honest with you, I think I'd be lucky to get that.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Van Noord
$7.00 an hour ??? Ouch.

Thats far from ouch when you dont have any bills...

God I miss those days... I probably only bring home $1.00 an hour after my mortgage, car note, insurance, cable, internet, water, electricity, food and god knows what else im paying for lol
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

I went to GC at the beginning of the month and they had one (JSX Combo) that was "broken" but in "mint" condition on sale for $300 . I bought it on the spot. A complete JJ KT77 power and preamp retube later I got one of the best deals of my life. ALL it needed was tubes. This amp is a champ. I highly recommend it. It's really versitile, has great cleans, killer crunch, ultra channel might be a bit too compressed for some people's taste but I love it.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Thats far from ouch when you dont have any bills...

God I miss those days... I probably only bring home $1.00 an hour after my mortgage, car note, insurance, cable, internet, water, electricity, food and god knows what else im paying for lol
I'm lucky cause my fiance pays for half of everything. A second income saves the day. I own my car so I only have morgage, bills, cell phone, water, cable, credit card, and food.
I don't know what I would do if I was only making $7.00/hr. But like it was mentioned, if you're younger and don't have bills than I guess that can be a nice little bit of cash every two weeks.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
I'd say the JSX or the laney
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Mesa F-50

/thread

out of those amps, I would probably say peavey. I have never played the bugeras or cheap bogners, but I don't trust line 6 much and they distribute the cheaper bogners and my instincts just say bugeras are whack. The JSX is a pretty decent head except how gay the faceplate looks. Peaveys are also great because of the amount of room for mods.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
I would get rid of the Bugera and Line 6 amps in your considerations. I would Look at the Laneys, Peaveys, Mesas, and Marshalls. They are all voiced differently especially looking at different models. I would be careful with marshalls because some of their amps are not reliable while some of theirs are. Peaveys and Mesas tend to be incredibly high quality, They are both made in america, and I actually took a tour of the Mesa factory and they have high quality control.

I would steer you towards the Peavey 6505 and XXX, and the Mesa Boogie Rectifiers and Stiletto model amplifiers.
My complaints though are the massive amounts of channels cause a large amount of possible problems such as a large volume increase from channel to channel.

Not really, just get your presets right.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!