I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so I'll just put it in the Pit, knowing it'll turn into a flamefest of unbelievable proportions.

Please be objective. Do not flame.

Looking at "modern rock" songs and comparing them to (what are widely considered to be) "emo" songs, I have realised that the largest, in fact possibly the only difference, are the vocals.
I mean, punk-influenced guitars, emphasis on vocal melody etc. are present in many sub-genres of rock music. A lot of rock songs are about failed relationships. So what makes emo so different?

"Emo" emplies the screams of a frustrated teenager venting his anger to the world. The singer is, essentially, a kid. "Rock" generally features a more masculine, mature singer, perhaps with a deeper range. Ultimately, that one thing can make a huge difference.

Listen to Dave Grohl's voice. You would never think they were an emo band. Now listen to Claudio Sanchez. Although Coheed and Cambria are not an emo band, a lot of people automatically jump to conclusions about them being emo, purely because of the singer's voice.

So pit, before you unleash the ultimate flamefest, please consider this. I have nothing against either genre. I am trying to objectively compare.

What do you think of this distinction? (NOT what you think of emo music)

And I did search, but didn't find anything relevant.
I think that what most people call emo is simply pop-rock and so you've made absolutely no discovery.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I think it has a lot to do with mitosis.
Save a drum, Bang a drummer!

Quote by Dragatear
You guys are REALLY strict. Worse than neopets.

Quote by Tyler Wright
cokesodanotdrug, your a bitch.
Quote by cokesodanotdrug
I think it has a lot to do with mitosis.

funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
are you trying to say people regard bands as emo if theyr singer sounds like a girl

you'r onto something there
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
It all sucks the same to me, man.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
i think that what makes a band emo is whether they dress like girls and have ****ty hair. also the high pitched singing/shouting does help.

Quote by sashki
I have a theory....

i was wondering what all that smoke was.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by break-me-in
I think that what most people call emo is simply pop-rock and so you've made absolutely no discovery.

+1 emo= pop rock. usually.
Quote by break-me-in

Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by wheatmore
are you trying to say people regard bands as emo if theyr singer sounds like a girl

you'r onto something there

A lot of people regard bands that way. So if you take an emo band and put a more masculine singer in place of their current one, will they be appreciated more?
Quote by captain Trips

Holy ****, I really thought that was Dave Grohl! Oddly coincides with my chosen examples...
according to your theory, led zeppelin, acdc and the darkness are emo...
Quote by jonnyrotten45
of course, we start talking about pizza, and end talking about putting our dicks in various objects, god bless the pit

Quote by lee 31392
I fapped over Louis Walsh.

Metal sucks
Quote by sashki
A lot of people regard bands that way. So if you take an emo band and put a more masculine singer in place of their current one, will they be appreciated more?

Only if they also don't suck at guitar.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

emo= sh*tty stupid kids who gave up on life and did just what life wanted them to do because they're weak and insecure faggots. they really should grow a pair and grow up.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by SlipknotRule93
emo= sh*tty stupid kids who gave up on life and did just what life wanted them to do because they're weak and insecure faggots. they really should grow a pair and grow up.

Thank you for your insightful comment.
Quote by sashki
Playing powerchords in a hardcore punk band is fine, but playing them in an emo band is not?

I didn't say it's always fine for hardcore punk bands. I like Dead Kennedy and Black Flag because they had guitar players who would do more than play power chords. I like Bad Brains because they would incorporate reggae into what they did. And they didn't have pussy vocalists, either.
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Jack Off Jill
I didn't say it's always fine for hardcore punk bands. I like Dead Kennedy and Black Flag because they had guitar players who would do more than play power chords. I like Bad Brains because they would incorporate reggae into what they did. And they didn't have pussy vocalists, either.

Which leads back to my original point. Pussy vocalist = determining factor?
Quote by B.do
according to your theory, led zeppelin, acdc and the darkness are emo...

No because Led Zeppelin , AC/DC and The Darkness don't play punk influenced guitars or sing about failed relationships.
I believe this has been discovered by, damn near everybody

E|-3------0----------------------|
B|---33------3------------------|
G|--------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------|
A|-------------------4--5--------|
E|-------------------2--3--------| 
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
****, none of you knows anything about emo
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by JAMSRS
No because Led Zeppelin , AC/DC and The Darkness don't play punk influenced guitars or sing about failed relationships.

In fact, I'm pretty sure AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and The Darkness only sang about how many women they've had sex with and the copious amount of booze ingested over the course of their careers
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Quote by sashki
Which leads back to my original point. Pussy vocalist = determining factor?

It has more to do with soulfulness as opposed to whining. Let me show you what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXXgppVU4c

This is Blind Melon, and that is Shannon Hoon. He was feminine with his vocals, but he still sang with balls, and with soul. Most of what is considered emo does not sing with balls, they have feminine and neutered vocal stylings. Same goes for John Gourley of Portugal. The Man, who also sings with balls.
Quote by vintage x metal