Ok, well, for my audition to Humber College, I need two things to play.
One is a jazz piece, preferably a standard, with melody and bassline, and an optional solo. No problem, I have something in mind already.

Second is a classical piece that demonstrates my technicality and ability on the bass.
Among other suggestions were the Bach cello suites. So I ordered, and withing about a month I got the music for it.

Problem is, Cello's have and extra octave (3 full as opposed to most non-24 fret, 5 string basses' 2).

I play a 4string jazz.

Cello's are strung in 5ths (I think) rather than 4ths. And they have a low C, which I cannot get.

Does anyone have suggestions for one of the suites? It claims I can use anyone, but I'm having a tough time finding one that doesn't go below E, or into a higher range than I can play. I really wanted to do the prelude, but that's way out right now.

Suggestions? I really don't want to play lines an octave higher or lower, because it DOES make a difference musically. Having a smooth descending line suddenly boost up an octave can ruin the feeling, although it can sound fine.

Also, for reference, the prelude is in G. I've seen a few transposed versions in different keys, so I thought I'd mention it.

And, I don't have a music program on my home comp like finale where I can write the music out and transpose it into a simpler key for. Not to mentionthe fact that, as I said, cello's have a larger range than bass in general.

I don't care what pieces I can play, just as long as they are do-able!

Thanks at ton.
Rig of Doom:
1. Custom Warmoth Fretless Jazz
2. Geddy Lee Jazz (backup)
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
The LowC on the cello actually corresponds to your first C (you know, 3rd fret on A or 8th on E) so you do have that.

BTW what Jazz standard are you playing?
Last edited by watchingmefall at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by watchingmefall
The LowC on the cello actually corresponds to your first C (you know, 3rd fret on A or 8th on E) so you do have that.

That's true but the high A string on the cello is the same as the 14th fret on the G string on bass so there isn't much room to play the higher stuff unless you octave down. I suggested the Vivaldi sonata because the 1st movement doesn't go below an E.
Even if it corresponds, I believe the range goes a couple notes past my fretboard.

Standard-wise, I was figuring something along the lines of Autumn Leaves. I considered Donna Lee, but it's more of a Bebop standard. Pus, it's pretty difficult. My music teacher (who's an ***hole) told me I couldn't play it. if I practiced it I could, but It might be too over the top and not what they're wanting. Plus, It will take ages to learn it.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Man you teacher sure sounds like a dick, my exteacher used to pressure me play these completely ridiculous things, like not only learning Donna Lee but playing it at 250bpm infront of a live audience with some jazz cats in drums, guitar and piano and improvising a solo to Take Five at almost twice the speed with these same cats live. Don't take **** like that, if you want play it. (Maybe right now it's a little late for the audition, dunno)
Personally I dislike Autumn Leaves everybody who has learned Jazz has that song as one of the starters and you end up hating it with a passion.
If the A goes up to the 14th fret on G then yeah, I recommend the Vivaldi sonata. I have a EADGC bass and works like a charm for Cello suites. Best of luck on the audition, hope you nail it

Also, play what you how to play blindfolded, those people smell fear and doubt and the better you have the pieces and your confidence the better. If you make a mistake make them believe you made it on purpose lol, ok not that.
Thanks for the advice.
I know, I personally dislike autumn leaves, because it is soooooooooo overdone.
I might try doing donna lee, but I've got to transcribe the lead music to bass, and work out what notes use courtesy accidentals. One reason I dislike lead music.

Other than that, any other standard songs worth practicing?
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
Ugh--yes Autumn leaves is the bane of every jazz student.

You could look at some be-bop classics like Blues for Alice or Jordu. Summertime is a bit overdone but still fun to play as well. Or Miles Davis' All Blues.

For the Bach Cello concertos--there are some bass transcriptions out there. Joaquin du Pres has a book out of Bach for Bass that is quite good.
Play Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, that would be impressive.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Personally I think you only hate Autumn Leaves if you're unimaginative and don't try to do anything with it. Plus it's not even the most recorded jazz standard, it's only at 11.

Other standards to have a look at:
All the Things You Are
Stella by Starlight
In a Sentimental Mood
Green Dolphin Street
A Night in Tunisia
Misty
Over the Rainbow

and there's loads of others.

The other option is to do what jazz masters did back in the day and take a piece of popular music and rework it.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
For the record Sinan, I've had to play that song six ways to Sunday...even my teacher and I started to have to make major jokes to get through it. The best was the "film noir" version, lol.
Have you checked out Mel Bay's J.S. Bach for bass? It seems like a few good transcriptions and arrangements of Bach songs (I think the the first prelude is in there (by the way, the Gigue is the best movement of any of the six suites)) that were specifically tailored for bass. I would definitely look into that.
Quote by anarkee
For the record Sinan, I've had to play that song six ways to Sunday...even my teacher and I started to have to make major jokes to get through it. The best was the "film noir" version, lol.

If you still don't enjoy it you're doing it wrong
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
http://creativeandperformingarts.humber.ca/music/music.html

go to bachelor, admission, auditions, then bass.

"PREPARED PIECES: Please have two selections prepared; one in jazz style and one in classical style.

A) Jazz style: Play a melody, bass line and optional solo on a jazz standard (eg. On Green Dolphin Street, Stella by Starlight, etc.).
B) Classical style: Play a piece that demonstrates your musicality and instrumental ability (eg. Bach cello suites, bass studies by Hrabe, Simandl, Bille, etc)."

I get the impression that it must bea standard, not just anything. While I listen to jazz, I've only been listening for a year or two, and really can't say what songs constitute standards. As far as I can tell, it's pretty subjective. I'm leaning to some charles mingus at the moment. While I don't hate autumn leaves, it is so overdone. I like the song, and I can make a new feeling with the song, but I'd rather do something for auditions that will stand out a little.

Jazz, which gigue do you mean? from which suite? It will also probably take a while to order in new music and learn it. It'll take me right up until auditions (March 9th).
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I played mine an octave down when I auditioned and when it went below E I did an octave up - I've seen several other performers do it this way as well. I may still have the sheet music on Finale if you have Finale Notepad if you're interested.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^Finale Notepad isn't free anymore

You COULD export a GIF or JPEG of the image for him, though!

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
thanks anyways, but I do have the music.
The only probl;em with boosting it up an octave, like I said, is that it changes the flow of the music. Its not bad, it just isnt what was intended.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
spot the supernoob, but what's wrong with the bass tabs for bach on here? I've had a look at prelude; I can't learn it cos I don't have 24 frets.
I have a pdf of the Prelude in D major, if the OP or anyone else needs/wants it. I don't know exactly how technical it is, but I know the best way to play it is by tapping, or at least that's how I do it.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll email it to you.

Edit: Yea, just checked, I have it still and you're in luck, nothing goes over the 19th fret, so you're good with a jazz bass.
Last edited by sloasdaylight at Jan 25, 2009,
for 1) may i suggest a loop pedal , i used my friends for my audition into highschool and kind of played teen town an now i'm in =]
Yeah, but that's highschool.

Im trying to get into a serious music program at college.

Also, not into looping anything, I just have to play one part. The Cello suites don't have background harmonies like Teen Town does (I think maybe another cello part at some points)

My issue just came prom inability to play 3 octave on my bass
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
I can play the prelude to the the first suite without going above the seventeenth fret you should be able to play it on almost every bass. Admittedly two of the D's I have to play up the octave but the sound isn't really sacrificed at all.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jan 26, 2009,
If your having trouble in "transposing it", why dont you just choose another piece, considering your having trouble here, i really wopuld advise something easier.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I'm not really having trouble. I would transpose it IF I had a program such as Finale at home, but I dont have it, so no dice as of yet.

Im not overly worried, but I did notice it should be impossible, retaining all original octaves.
Rig of Doom:
3. Fender Precision
Through:
VOX Pathfinder Bass 10
Soon to run through:
Acoustic 360/361 rig
It's not that difficult to transpose the octave if you want it up or down (I prefer it in the lower octave). Also, I wouldn't be worried about retaining original octaves. If you have to move one of two notes, or even a passage, up (or down) the octave, it really sounds fine.