So, I have the chance to pick up a JCM 900 dual reverb for $450.

Is this worth getting to upgrade from my Peavey Windsor? I basically want more clean headroom than the Windsor can give....to get clean tones a la The Strokes and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I'm not a noob, and I know that the Marshall won't "nail" these tones, but I'm using them as a baseline to find "my" clean tone. Does the A channel have enough headroom to do these, and make it worth picking up and dumping the Windsor for?

I'm running a Marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30s, btw. And I would definitely play the head before I buy it to make certain, but I want to know if it's worth heading out for in the first place. Thanks a lot.
I'd say go for it. The Marshall doesn't have a ton of headroom but it probably has enough that you could clean it up with your volume knob. Also, IMO, cleans sound better through a single-coil so if you have coil tap on your guitar that would help clean it up a bit too.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Ortrigger pretty much got it right, man.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Ortrigger pretty much got it right, man.

ever been sigged? but ya, using the volume and tone knobs along with pickup selector and tapping if you have it can produce an amazing variety of tones. with my setup I can go from mostly clean fingerpicking, ala Stairway to Heaven, to pretty dirty classic rock such as Whole Lotta Love without touching my amp.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
Sounds like a good deal, I really dig the JCM900s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
im not sure how much it would be an upgrade for the stuff your looking for, but it will be 30 times better for all the stuff thats fairly high gain. thats a great deal, so i say jump on it
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
yeah thats a great deal
it will be different than the windsor, more gain, better cleans, and just an overall more modern voicing, so just be careful as to what you're getting
i know i want one though
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
im not sure how much it would be an upgrade for the stuff your looking for, but it will be 30 times better for all the stuff thats fairly high gain. thats a great deal, so i say jump on it

TBH, the JCM 900 is average, in my opinion, for lighter classic rock like that...

BUT, it is way more versatile than the Windsor (although I'm GASing for one).

I'd go with the 900, because it'll do your high to mid gain well, the mid gain extremely well, and the low gain pretty good.

Its cleans, in my opinion, are also average at best.

Sorry, that's all I got from fooling around with one at my local shop one day :shrugs:
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--