I'm in a band and I'm singer but I play guitar to and I was talking to my teacher about the band and he said it was a great idea and so we got together and practiced a little bit but when we play the song just like "sticks to the book". Now that's not necessarily a bad thing but when you see this professional bands cover A song they make parts longer and add solo's whenever and all this extra stuff to sometimes make it better but with my band everything has to be spot on nobody can seem to be able to add their only little touch to the song to make it better if you get what I'm saying. Also with live bands you seem them like repeat a chorus an extra time or add a drum solo randomly or like a 20 minute long guitar solo even when like they singer or someone talks to the crowd and all the other instruments just jam.

so how do we as a band be able to do our own things with the song.
Get to know the song first, don't just jump in and chop and attempt change it and improve it.

Also, If I get what you just said, you said it as if bands improvise these bits they add and such? If that is what you're saying;

They don't, professional bands will heavily plan that kind of stuff, no matter if it's in the studio or on a stage.

EDIT -
Quote by Babbs
my band improvises stuff like that all the time.

it's not completely random, though. we usually have a designated part where we'll start jamming. how this usually works is someone will find a riff that they really like, and everyone will jump on the riff, and add their own thing to it, and we'll do that for a while. then, someone else finds a riff, and everything changes. we also can tell by each others body language if we should get quieter or louder, and stuff like that.

it's all about paying attention to the other people.

That's pretty much what I was getting at, I didn't mean planned down to the last note. I meant like, where you'll start the improv' and how many bars it goes on for and shizz.

The bold bit pretty much sums it up, you should be doing that anyways, but more so when you're making stuff up on the spot.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Dec 24, 2008,
my band improvises stuff like that all the time.

it's not completely random, though. we usually have a designated part where we'll start jamming. how this usually works is someone will find a riff that they really like, and everyone will jump on the riff, and add their own thing to it, and we'll do that for a while. then, someone else finds a riff, and everything changes. we also can tell by each others body language if we should get quieter or louder, and stuff like that.

it's all about paying attention to the other people. if you want to have an extended guitar solo, just work out a cue that you'll give to the drummer when you're almost done with your solo. the drummer can throw in a fill, and let everybody know that your solo is over. if the part you're soloing over is the same as the part after your solo, you don't even need to do this. just start singing when you're done, or point to someone else and let them solo.