im customizing my epiphone explorer and ive decided on some pickups that would suit me. i play technical death metal mostly so id like that semi clean sound for solos with the neck pickup. i picked pickups out but im not sure if they would "work" together.

bridge: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup?sku=302021

neck: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP158-Evolution-Neck-Pickup?sku=302950

i really dont know much about pickups. im pretty nervous just buying things on a whim, usually need a second opinion. good choices?
the evolution is an awesome pickup perfect for shredding and fast playing. its very articulate when it comes to notes in my opinion. and the dp102 is almost a bit much in my opinion go a shade less gain but they will work together regardless just dont use em both at the same time often
Keep On Keepen' On
What amp do you have and how good is your technique and playing skills?

Crap amp won't cut it with new pups (hardly any sound difference) and if your playing sucks the Evo is only going to make your playing sound worse if you're **** because its extremely articulate and picks up just about every nuance in your playing.
Last edited by Wakisazhi at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Wakisazhi
What amp do you have and how good is your playing?

i have the line 6 spider valve half stack (dont worry its their best amp, sounds awesome) and i can play some wintersun, a couple necrophagist solos and pestilence by the faceless.
Eh, I wouldn't push for new pups just yet. I know the valve states aren't as terrible as spiders but you still won't get that much of a tonal difference with new pups (probably would just sound very muddy with the X2N). I say try learning better ways to tweak your EQ.
Quote by exylum
i have the line 6 spider valve half stack (dont worry its their best amp, sounds awesome) and i can play some wintersun, a couple necrophagist solos and pestilence by the faceless.

No it's not, their best amp is probably the HD147.

I really don't think pickups are going to make a massive difference what with all the processing but it's your money at the end of the day.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it's not, their best amp is probably the HD147.

I really don't think pickups are going to make a massive difference what with all the processing but it's your money at the end of the day.

It depends on how similar the voicing between the new and old ones is. Even the cheapest budget digital modeller is going to make two differently EQ'd (but otherwise identical) signals sound different.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2