Alrighty, so after getting angry at my parents, I decided to open these bad boys up and try them out. I figured, after I apologized to my parents, that I might as well get some good out of the event and review these pedals for all you inquisitive UGers.

BOSS PH-3 Phase Shifter pedal
- I tried this one out first, after having it recommended to me by my rhythm guitarist. It's SPECTACULAR. There're 4 knobs (L to R: Rate, Depth, Resonance, and Shift Type).

- The Rate knob lets you pick how fast the effect shifts. It's very sensitive; turning it all the way up gives a very weird, "trem-picking from hell whilst underwater" type sound.

- Depth, obviously, lets you pick how deep the shift sounds. Again, amazing range, can make it really light or extremely bottomless-pit-style deep, no matter what the other knobs are set at.

- Resonance. At first, I actually thought this knob didn't do anything at all. After messing with it, I found that it affects how well you can actually hear the shifting. All the way down the shifter is barely noticable; all the way up and you can barely hear the actual sound from the guitar.

- Shift Type. This is the reason I love this pedal. You can choose the way the shifter "waves" the sound. Rise makes the sound waver low-high. Fall makes the sound waver high-low. After the default Fall setting are further selections for the Fall type, that go 12, 10, 8, 6, 4. Didn't tinker with them much, but they drastically effect the sound. After the Rise setting is another option called "Step". Sound weird to you? It is, but in a GOOD way! It basically makes the shift sound noticable; literally making the sound "walk up a flight of steps". It's a little difficult to explain, but trust me, when you unwrap this tomorrow (or in a few minutes for those of you on other parts of the globe!) check this setting out ASAP.

BOSS CS-3 Compression Sustainer pedal
- I'll admit, when I was looking for pedals to ask for, this wasn't at the top of my list. But after tinkering with it, I've found it to be a DREAM. Basically, it makes the notes you play sustain MUCH longer, and makes hammer-ons and pull-offs ring MUCH louder, both clean and distorted. It also makes chords sound less like 3 different notes, and more like one main sound. Again, 4 knobs (L to R: Level, Tone, Attack, and Sustain.)

- Level. Kind of self-explanatory, this affects how loud the sound is. Basically a "Volume" knob.

- Tone. Affects the tone of the sound. All the way down and the tone is flat and soft, all the way up the tone is loud and sharp. (NOTE: Not actually MUSIC THEORY Flat # or Sharp b, but adjective...like...)

- Attack. Affects how loud the picking of the sound is. All the way down, everything flows together, all the way up you can hear every strum clearly.

- Sustain. My favorite part of this pedal. Affects how long the sound is held out. All the way down and the note will hold for as long as your guitar would normally sustain a note, but all the way up and the note could almost literally hold FOR...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...EEEEEEEEEEE...VEEEEEEEEEE...EEE...E...EEE...EEEEE...ER.

And of course, i'll edit this X-mas day for corrections and for other effects pedals I may or may not get. I hope this review helped you understand what these pedals do. Keep shredding!

Snap
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

i like my PH-3 its so versatile

the rise and fall modes are pretty flanger like

its nice and modern sounding too
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I was actually considering getting the BF-3 too, but then people told me the PH-3 had more modulating capabilities.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

the phase, chorus and flang pedals from boss are quite good. No idea why they get so much crap. Sure, they're not subtle like say an EHX Small Stone, Electric Mistress or Small Clone, but they're great for getting some more in-your-face sounds. I'm really tempted to look for an older PH-2 or BF-2 for my rig.
^ I'd recommend a Japanese BF-2. The other flangers don't really do it for me.

I don't really like Boss Phasers though.. maybe a PH-1r, but it'd be easier just to get a Small Stone anyway.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
CS-3 is a great pedal, pretty noisy though. Rolling the sustain all the way back acts a limiter almost, the manual tells you lots of goodies like that.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
thanks for the review! I've been looking at the PH-3 for a long time. My pastor has one, and i've tried it once or twice for about 5 minutes each time, so having this review helps!

Hm..a compressor is starting to sound nice too
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional