Hi all,

I usually frequent the guitar forum as I'm first and foremost a guitarist, but recently I've had a desire to take up bass (it may have something to do with watching one too many Rush videos and obsessively listening to Geddy Lee ), so I'd like to get one after Xmas. Now, I'll freely admit I'm slightly out of my depth with regards to basses, so I'm asking for help.
I'm into prog rock to metal, and Rush are my current favourite band. I really like Geddy's signature Jazz Bass, but as the only bass I've ever played has been T.I.R.O. at guitar stores or octave-shifting my Ibanez, I'm not going to drop £600 into this, so I've looked at Squier J-Basses.
I've had an agathis-bodied guitar before and I really didn't like playing it acoustically - it always sounded muted, so I really don't want a bass made of agathis or super-cheap wood in case I decide to keep it - spending a bit more on a better bass should mean I could also potentially sell it on without much loss if I don't like it.
My first choice was the standard alder J-Bass. It looks OK, and I guess the alder body gives a standard bass sound.
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier---Affinity-Jazz-Bass,-Black~ID~3427.asp

I then stumbled on the Vintage Modified J-Bass and really liked the look of it - the open wood grain and maple fretboard look great. However, the FAQ says that a maple body is very bright, much brighter than alder. Is this a good thing?
http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/0443073/details.html?kbid=1582

Amp-wise, I hear using a guitar amp isn't a good call, so I've singled out a Laney RB-1. My HCM30R has a good bass response, and I've heard Laney make good bass amps.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Laney-RB-1-Bass-amplifier_W0QQitemZ360100262331QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Guitar_Accessories?hash=item360100262331&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I also came across Squier's bass package - bass, amp, etc. Though it doesn't have the VM bass, it includes a practise amp and works out cheaper than buying either a normal or VM bass and a separate amp.
http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Bass_Guitars/Bass_Guitars/Beginner/sc1113/p5893.aspx

I guess what I'm getting at is, what's the best option for me? Are any of the options I've picked out good, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Any help appreciated!
Merry Christmas everyone,
Rob J

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
i really strongly suggest you go with the vintage modified jazz, much better than the standard series, and for an amp go with an acoustic.
Laney is good too. i have a 15 year old laney bass amp and it is still going strong

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by Stingray5
just don't use a pick, that's all i have to say

Is it such a bad thing to use on bass?

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
Quote by quantum leap

No it is not, use what feels best to you and gives you the tone your looking for
Hmm. I'd start out by saying you should definitely try to play a bass before you get an expensive one. Because incase you end up thinking: "Wow, this sure sucks balls...", you will be happy that you haven't spent ALL your money on a costly bass. Get Squier starter pack. It includes everything you'd want to start with. But why are you getting a J-style bass?
Try to see if you can find a Ibanez Starter bass pack. That particular bass has both a P-style and a J-style pickup, and includes pretty much what'd you want in a starter pack. Here's a link for ya! http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsr190jubk_jumpstart_basspaket.htm
Current gear ::

Ibanez BTB205 // 5 string bass, active pickups
Epiphone LP Special II // Lower end Epiphone Les Paul
Warwick Blue Cab 15 // My bass amp, which I use for my guitar :P
Yamaha C40 // My mediocre classic acoustic
Quote by bazz205
Hmm. I'd start out by saying you should definitely try to play a bass before you get an expensive one. Because incase you end up thinking: "Wow, this sure sucks balls...", you will be happy that you haven't spent ALL your money on a costly bass. Get Squier starter pack. It includes everything you'd want to start with. But why are you getting a J-style bass?
Try to see if you can find a Ibanez Starter bass pack. That particular bass has both a P-style and a J-style pickup, and includes pretty much what'd you want in a starter pack. Here's a link for ya! http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_gsr190jubk_jumpstart_basspaket.htm

Well, I love the aesthetics of the J-Bass, especially the ones I looked at. Good argument about the not-spending-all-my-money on a bass rig; the issue is, if I actually get into it, I don't want a p.o.s. cheap bass to continue with, and if I don't get on with it, a better bass would have better resale value, as I figure it.
Not very taken with the Ibanez option - a bit more expensive than the Squier option, not specific about the wood and a less powerful amp.

Ibanez S470
Laney HCM30R
Digitech GNX3000
First of all, thank you for reading the FAQ first. And ignore the "don't use a pick" guy. Learn both picking methods, pick the best feeling/sounding to you. Personally, I love the sound of a pick, but I'm way more comfortable fingerpicking. It's whatever suits you.

As for bass, definately pick that Squier Vintage Modified bass. It's leagues ahead of any squier and will get you that jazz bass growl for a pretty good price.

For amp.. I've got a Laney RB4 and I'm not really all that keen on it, though that could have a lot to do with the 15" speaker. Laney are Brittish Budget amps and have a pretty transparent sound.. but that could be what you're looking for. This forum will tell you an Acoustic AB50 is a great match for a VM Jazz as a starter. I've never played this amp, but the forums never steered me wrong before.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Being a rather mediocre musician myself, I'm all on the hand of Haanz.

Guitar:
MIM '09 Fender Telecaster
Laney VC15-110 Old English White '10
Freshman FOP1DN Acoustic

Bass:
Ibanez SRX590
Laney RB4
Tech21 SansAmp BassDriver DI
Boss ODB-3
Quote by quantum leap

No, though it might hamper your playing if you like to do more complex prog stuff

I use picks when I play "punk" stuff, it just sounds and feels better
(otherwise I stick to fingers)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
well i would say outta those to go with the vintage j-bass, personally fenders necks are to wide and strings are to high up for me but sound wise it aint bad.
dont get the package crap, its crap.
look for peavey amps or acoustic amps, run cheap and play good, cant go wrong.
i suggest take some lessons for a while, i did and quit lessons and have regreted it ever since
I asked the guy in Reverb (formerly Soundcontrol) and he said that they will be having a sale in january on guitar and bass starter packs.

Just thought i'd let you know.

merry xmas

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
the squier VM and laney you picked out would be perfect.

And btw, hunter, from AFI, uses a pick. And he's a sick bass player. It's a different tone.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I would aim at an Acoustic amp. Laney is nice, but i much prefer clarity.

stick with the VM, if your Geddy Lee love is anything to go by, bright is a good thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom