Well, I DESPARATELY want a tube amp. I'm soooo tired of my piece of sh*t MG...

Anyways, my local music store only sells solid-state amps. The guy that works there says he could order me a Randall tube amp, but I would have to buy it before I order it.

I'm completely against ordering something before you try it out. So, I was almost ready to buy a solid state amp. Then I remembered: There's a Guitar Center in Souix Falls, SD. The problem is, Souix Falls is 284 miles round-trip, and I'm not even sure if they have what I'm looking for. My brother took pictures of amps there, but a lot of them were MGs and I couldn't really define what the others were.

So, would it be worth it to travel 150 or so miles to buy an amplifyer that might not be there or should I try to find the best sounding solid-state amp that I can?
You might be better off just buying online or if ordering online isn't an option at least checking out craigslist to see if there is anyone close to you that is selling a tube amp.
While tube amps are infact (imo) better than most SS amps, you can find quite a few good sounding SS amps. So if you can find a good SS amp, go for it.
Quote by FuriousWank
While tube amps are infact (imo) better than most SS amps, you can find quite a few good sounding SS amps.

Any ideas? I'm looking for something that's as close to Yngwie's tone as possible. If that's even possible with a solid-state...
the experience of playing a tube amp will be totally worth it. just make sure you go during a time where there aren't going to be many other players in the store so you can play every amp and every guitar you want. (wake up at 5am, set up a tent outside of gc and wait till they open, then immerse yourself in new tone)

it will be worth it. then you can buy if you liked any of them, or wait and buy it on samash.com or guitarcenter.com later
It's all about feel
i love the tube amps. what i would do is go on GC website, look at the amps they carry, then look for sound clips on youtube or other means. find a couple youre interested in, call up GC and make sure they have them, then go try em out yourself.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
ever hear of a phone? call and see if they have the model your looking for. when i was a kid i had the same probs. drove 120 miles one way to pick up the fender tin that i use till this day. that was in 1984. buy something you really like, use it forever. case closed.
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
Well, how much are you willing to spend? I could possibly find you a good SS amp when I know your price range
Best thing is to do lots of research, narrow it down to several POSSIBILITIES, use Youtube for demos and stuff. Then find a shop that carries it, and make the drive to buy. Thats how I did it but I went back home and ordered it on ebay
im curious about tube amps too. i have a solid state crate amp that i think sounds great with my MIM strat... but i am curious about tube tones. i was thinking about trying to pick one up for cheap second-hand at a pawn shop. problem is, i dont know anything about amps or guitars. (ive only been playing a few months)

how can i tell just by looking at one if its solid state or tube?

i really just want a modest practice amp suitable for bedroom playing that might be fun to mod.

ive been considering the epiphone valve junior but i dont really have the money for it which is why i thought i could get a deal at a pawn shop. what are some identifying characteristics? i dont want buy a used fender solid state amp... lol!
well it will be worth it when you get a tube amp... besides if you're gonna spend a lot of money on a SS wouldn't you want it to be worth it? so go the extra mile and get a better amp thats gonna last you, you know?
Just call them and ask what tube amps they have.

Or you could order an amp online. Pretty much every site will let you will it for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can just ship it back to them and get a refund.
Quote by The.new.guy
Well, I DESPARATELY want a tube amp. I'm soooo tired of my piece of sh*t MG...

Anyways, my local music store only sells solid-state amps. The guy that works there says he could order me a Randall tube amp, but I would have to buy it before I order it.

I'm completely against ordering something before you try it out. So, I was almost ready to buy a solid state amp. Then I remembered: There's a Guitar Center in Souix Falls, SD. The problem is, Souix Falls is 284 miles round-trip, and I'm not even sure if they have what I'm looking for. My brother took pictures of amps there, but a lot of them were MGs and I couldn't really define what the others were.

So, would it be worth it to travel 150 or so miles to buy an amplifyer that might not be there or should I try to find the best sounding solid-state amp that I can?

yes, and if your gonna get one that is worth while then get one that is at least 500 bux. randall sounds good, cuz they are pretty good. i dont have an opinion on them for the reason that i have not tryed one.

SOLID STATE SUCKS! (unless you pay 700 bux for something thats meant to re-create a 500 dollar tube amp)

you do know that there is a system known as UPS, they deliver stuff for not a huge fee if you really dont wana travel to guitar center.

another note of advice, there are many, many, many other stores that i would believe in the range of 150 miles that sell guitar amps. look up music stores on google and look on the maps and see which ones look good and check them out.
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
the thing ive noticed from looking up tube amps is that as soon as you get into the truly quality SS amp price range, your already in the mediocre tube amp range. So a little more could get you a decent tube amp, i think.
Quote by nightraven
identifying characteristics? if you look at the back you should hopefully see some tubes hanging down

and if you don't have the money for a valve jr, don't be expecting much because they're the cheapest tube amps around. since you've not been playing a long time i'd just save up a ton of money and buy a good tube amp later.

all the amps i looked at had closed backs...

im not expecting anything of tremendous quality. like i said, i am happy with my solid state amp and i play primarily acoustic.

i dont have the money to blow a couple hundred bucks on something i just kind of want.

it is possible to get killer deals at a pawn shop though... so that MIGHT be worth it to me.

any more help is appreciated!
Quote by TheBuddhistPalm
all the amps i looked at had closed backs...

im not expecting anything of tremendous quality. like i said, i am happy with my solid state amp and i play primarily acoustic.

i dont have the money to blow a couple hundred bucks on something i just kind of want.

it is possible to get killer deals at a pawn shop though... so that MIGHT be worth it to me.

any more help is appreciated!

Nearly all tube amps have a Standby switch, and nearly all solid state amps have a AUX IN/OUT jack or a Headphone jack.

Try fenders for your first tube amp. a 400 dollar 15 watt fender tube will sound like a 700 dollar 50 watt solid state.
Quote by FuriousWank
Well, how much are you willing to spend? I could possibly find you a good SS amp when I know your price range

Well, I'm getting around $300 for Christmas+my Birthday ( They're only a week apart ) and my g-ma said she would help me out with buying one. I'm guessing somewhere around $400-$600. That's an awfully rough estimate, though.

EDIT:

Quote by xFinnellx
you do know that there is a system known as UPS, they deliver stuff for not a huge fee if you really dont wana travel to guitar center.

another note of advice, there are many, many, many other stores that i would believe in the range of 150 miles that sell guitar amps. look up music stores on google and look on the maps and see which ones look good and check them out.

First: Obviously, you didn't read my entire post. I would order a guitar amp. Cost is not an issue here. The problem is, with ordering stuff, I wouldn't get to try it out first before I buy it!

Second: You've never seen the North-West Iowa area, have you? There is nothing here except corn, pigs, farmers, hillbillies, cows, and more corn...then there's winter and it's all the same except there's no corn.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 24, 2008,
that's a decent budget, especially used. it's said alot, but a used Peavey Classic 30 would always be a good bet, small fender tube amps? Valvekings are versatile but jack of all trades, ace of none. What kinda genres? i'm assuming metal, cause your looking at randall, so most of the ones i've mention would need a good distortion to do metal. it's doesn't need the word metal in the name, just needs to get you to that level of gain. Oh, and look at the vox valvetronix (hybrid) amps, they have an XL series for more metaly things, and the roland cube series, which are good metal oriented modelers, oh the peavey Vypyr as well.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by R.I.P.Jimi
that's a decent budget, especially used. it's said alot, but a used Peavey Classic 30 would always be a good bet, small fender tube amps? Valvekings are versatile but jack of all trades, ace of none. What kinda genres? i'm assuming metal, cause your looking at randall, so most of the ones i've mention would need a good distortion to do metal. it's doesn't need the word metal in the name, just needs to get you to that level of gain. Oh, and look at the vox valvetronix (hybrid) amps, they have an XL series for more metaly things, and the roland cube series, which are good metal oriented modelers, oh the peavey Vypyr as well.

Metal is definately my favorite genre. However, I also can't stand the high-gain, de-tuned, growly crap that is death metal. I'm more into something close to Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, and almost anything neo-classical.

The unfortunate thing, for me, is that I also like a WIDE variety of guitar-oriented music. Blues, metal, shred, and country. Two are rather heavy and big, the other two are light and country has more of a twang. So, I would like a versatile amp to say the least.

I gotta go right now. I'll EDIT some more in later.
do you get heavier than van halen/ motley crue. if not i think a classic 30 would be perfect for you. my classic 30 gets a good van halen unboosted. you can get an OD to boost it even further. also have a great clean channel. look on craigslists around you. they go for 300 commonly
Quote by enalsisiht
do you get heavier than van halen/ motley crue. if not i think a classic 30 would be perfect for you. my classic 30 gets a good van halen unboosted. you can get an OD to boost it even further. also have a great clean channel. look on craigslists around you. they go for 300 commonly

I go above the VH/Motley Crue level of distortion, but only rarely. Classic 30 ehh? Would that power be enough for small gigs? Like in small bars/clubs, or would I need a...erm...ohh god what the devil do they call them...erm...well...you might know what I'm talking about. I just can't think of the name for it. ( I want to say PA system, but I'm not sure. I'm pretty much totally clueless in this area, so don't hate me too much )
Last edited by The.new.guy at Dec 24, 2008,
I wouldn't get too hung up on tubes. Sure they great but there are times I wanna grab my SS combo to jam on instead. Sometimes my bass amp.

Hybrid combo sounds like a real good bet. Tone shaping is done in the preamp and a tube there will certainly sweeten it. You can even change the grades of the tube for different tones.

I really haven't heard much difference with the power amp whether it's tube or SS. I run my pedals into the return ports and maybe the tubes sounded better with the bass response.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yeah classic 30 should handle small gigs cranked. you wouldn't need a PA (and your right in calling it that).
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Trust me, make the trip if you can. I played SS for most of my musical life, and i happened upon a Fender Twin Reverb and i fell in love. Then one day i walked into a shop and found a used Mesa Boogie Mark IV, we've been inseperable since.

Exept that its in the shop getting repaired! I feel so ****ty playing a Microcube.

Seriously though, my love story aside, go test out something awesome!
Edit, DO NOT GO FOR HYBRID's, they are a marketing scheme, not a tonal voyage.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
craigslist would be a good idea because you get to try it out, see it, haggle, get it cheap, and you don't have to go too far, unless used is not an option for you. 150 miles is what, a 3 hour drive? If you're alright with it, i guess.. take more cash than 300 bucks though. you dont wanna be disappointed finding out you gotta go abck home for 50 bucks or some sad stuff like that.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by TK1
i love the tube amps. what i would do is go on GC website, look at the amps they carry, then look for sound clips on youtube or other means. find a couple youre interested in, call up GC and make sure they have them, then go try em out yourself.

Which they more than likely will not. The only amps GC carries in-store that are worth looking at are Vox, Fender, tube Marshalls, Egnator, and whatever used amps they have. In fact, most of the time the used stuff is better than the new. I've never been in a GC that has what I want, but maybe you'll get lucky and they'll have your perfect amp. Just a word of warning though: just because it is on the website doesn't mean they'll have it. And also, most of the employees at GC are COMPLETE incompetants.

For instance, I said I needed a versatile tube amp that could handle a few different genres. This guy takes me to the Line 6 section and points at a Spider. He goes "You know what this is? It's badass."
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
as far as I'm concerned a tube amp blows the hell outta any ss. go with peavey there affordable and there good for a lot of genres my favorite is a peavey valve king most versatile if u ask me from peavey and its a half stack so you know its good for almost any occasion especially with this cool little knob in the back that allows u to cut back the power so u can get the good gain at low volumes in your bed room. it may be a little outta your price range tho i dunno how much they are American. we don't even have guitar center in the great white north tho and we get our amps so I'm sure u could find a place aside from gc to buy

also i should add peavey also makes one called the Windsor its really cheap and really good for a sound that isn't over the top gain so you'd probably like it but i think its one toned kinda
Keep On Keepen' On
ENGL screamer 50, enough said.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by xFinnellx
yes, and if your gonna get one that is worth while then get one that is at least 500 bux. randall sounds good, cuz they are pretty good. i dont have an opinion on them for the reason that i have not tryed one.

Interesting, so you know it's good, how?

SOLID STATE SUCKS! (unless you pay 700 bux for something thats meant to re-create a 500 dollar tube amp)

Uh... no.

Yes, because you can have things delivered to your house for you to try them out.
Quote by JessyB96
as far as I'm concerned a tube amp blows the hell outta any ss.
go with peavey there affordable and there good for a lot of genres my favorite is a peavey valve king most versatile if u ask me from peavey and its a half stack so you know its good for almost any occasion especially with this cool little knob in the back that allows u to cut back the power so u can get the good gain at low volumes in your bed room. it may be a little outta your price range tho i dunno how much they are American. we don't even have guitar center in the great white north tho and we get our amps so I'm sure u could find a place aside from gc to buy

also i should add peavey also makes one called the Windsor its really cheap and really good for a sound that isn't over the top gain so you'd probably like it but i think its one toned kinda

I don't want to sound like I'm being condescending or a dick or anything, but honestly, do you have ANY real clue about what you are talking about?
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 25, 2008,
Check out the pignose g40v, cheap and good, I've got one. The only downside is that it's not got any effects (reverb, tremelo or anything) just the pre amp volume, which when cranked gets distorted. But its definately not a metaly amp which is what everyone on here plays anyhow so why do I care?
I've seen JSX's at every Guitar Center I've gone too. A couple have had a mesas too.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
as far as I'm concerned a tube amp blows the hell outta any ss.
go with peavey there affordable and there good for a lot of genres my favorite is a peavey valve king most versatile if u ask me from peavey and its a half stack so you know its good for almost any occasion especially with this cool little knob in the back that allows u to cut back the power so u can get the good gain at low volumes in your bed room. it may be a little outta your price range tho i dunno how much they are American. we don't even have guitar center in the great white north tho and we get our amps so I'm sure u could find a place aside from gc to buy

I don't want to sound like I'm being condescending or a dick or anything, but honestly, do you have ANY real clue about what you are talking about?

too funny. My thoughts exactly.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by The.new.guy
Metal is definately my favorite genre. However, I also can't stand the high-gain, de-tuned, growly crap that is death metal. I'm more into something close to Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, and almost anything neo-classical.

The unfortunate thing, for me, is that I also like a WIDE variety of guitar-oriented music. Blues, metal, shred, and country. Two are rather heavy and big, the other two are light and country has more of a twang. So, I would like a versatile amp to say the least.

I gotta go right now. I'll EDIT some more in later.

So to sum up, you like Heavy Metal (that's what it's called ) and country.

Hmm. Definitely go to Guitar Center. Make it a road trip with some friends (also musicians? the better). Those are the best days.

What kind of guitars will you use with it? Make sure you use the same ones when testing the amps.
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
You aren't going anywhere near a Mesa with that budget. I would suggest a Blues Deluxe and a cool overdrive pedal. The Peavey Classic 30 is cool. I used to own one. I did find the overdrive to be a little muddy.