Page 1 of 3
I have a couple electrics I have to finish up and I have to make some jigs and stuff for this so I should be making some progress in a week or two. It's going to be pretty much a standard dreadnought, it will have walnut back and sides, sitka spruce soundboard, one piece mahogany neck, walnut headstock veneer and pickguard, ebony bridge, and a striped ebony fingerboard.

back:

sides (all or most of the sap wood should be cut away):

soundboard:

neck blank (big enough for 2 necks):

Quote by Prisoner5
How are you gonna finish the body? Just clearcoat, stain...?
This looks promising. Good luck with it.

I'll have it sprayed with a clear coat of conversion varnish.
Building acoustics scares me, I want to do it one day though, just for the achievement. Kudos to you if you pull it off!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
GOOD LUCK ON IT! Hope it ends well :3

I saw someone coming to the store once with this book about building acoustics, it had all the measures and ways you should do it (duh?). Other than that i can't recall anything else >.< Working on a bookstore sometimes gets boring/

I am looking forward to see how this ends.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
this is going to be awesome.

cant wait to see it done!
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Absent Mind
Building acoustics scares me, I want to do it one day though, just for the achievement. Kudos to you if you pull it off!

Yeah they scare me too lol, but I'm getting sick of building electrics after all my recent builds and figured it was a good time to get started on an acoustic. I'll probably make some mistakes but it's my first acoustic so I don't mind. I'm buying the bracing pre-shaped though, I'll tackle that on my next one (a 12 string) if I like building acoustics enough.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Yeah they scare me too lol, but I'm getting sick of building electrics after all my recent builds and figured it was a good time to get started on an acoustic. I'll probably make some mistakes but it's my first acoustic so I don't mind. I'm buying the bracing pre-shaped though, I'll tackle that on my next one (a 12 string) if I like building acoustics enough.

Phew! I was freaking out for a second there. My mind is like "Wait! Where is teh bracing wood?!?!?!"

That's a nice piece of spruce. It's gonna be fun cutting all of that wood to roughly the thickness of two credit cards stacked up though

Good Luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oh, and are you planning on making this acoustic-electric or just pure acoustic? Cutaway or full-bodied?

In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm a bit of an acoustaholic. I'm seriously freaking out that someone is finally building an acoustic here instead of another boring old electric
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
God, this reminds me of what I should be doing.. I know how to and have every jig imaginable radius dishes go bar deck molds side bending press heat blankets etc, but i just forgot about building it last year. I gotta get on this eventually. I even have a set of mahogany sides bent haha.
This will be very interesting!! Hope everything goes well with the build!

As long as you're well informed and well prepared it should go fine.

I'm studying lutherie in school, all I can tell you is that (just as in electrics) there are never any problems, only solutions. If anything goes wrong there's often if not always a few solutions. Currently building my first classical guitar. Many of the steps seem scary at first, but when you have all of the information and proper tools/machinery at your disposal it isn't as scary as it seems.

Very interested in this build, hope everything goes accordingly. Most importantly, have fun!
hmmmm, i actually know next to nothing about building accoustic guitars, and coincidentally very little experience playing them. I look forward to watching this build progress.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
what if you made a guitar entirely out of wood, like tuners and everything. wouldn't that be cool?
Well if you could even cut 1:18 ratio tuners by hand is one thing, but metal is still a lot higher wearing that wood, the wood would just wear out, not really advisable for a crucial thing such as the tuners, frets and truss rod need to be metal also, otherwise pretty much everything else can be wood.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
you COULD make the gears/casing out of lignum vitae, they make machine bearings out of it because its harder than most conventional metals. you could also make lignum vitae frets, you'd never need to polish them as they are self-lubricating. god how i would LOVE a lignum vitae fingerboard blank, it would be so ****ing heavy though, and it would take 4 days to sand the radius into it.
Quote by Natrone
Phew! I was freaking out for a second there. My mind is like "Wait! Where is teh bracing wood?!?!?!"

That's a nice piece of spruce. It's gonna be fun cutting all of that wood to roughly the thickness of two credit cards stacked up though

Good Luck! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Oh, and are you planning on making this acoustic-electric or just pure acoustic? Cutaway or full-bodied?

In case you guys haven't noticed, I'm a bit of an acoustaholic. I'm seriously freaking out that someone is finally building an acoustic here instead of another boring old electric

Yeah, I've actually got a couple big pieces of the spruce that would be good for bracing but I think it's a better idea to go with pre-shaped for now.
It will be full bodied and just acoustic.
Quote by 420 FREAK
Yeah, I've actually got a couple big pieces of the spruce that would be good for bracing but I think it's a better idea to go with pre-shaped for now.
It will be full bodied and just acoustic.

I think for a first acoustic build this is very wise to order them.

But if you do change your mind, having done a few already, they're pretty easy to shape. Again, you just need the knowledge and maybe someone to guide you through it for the first time.

Man I'm so psyched about this build! Let me know if there's anything you'd need help with.
Quote by amason51
any updates?

No all I've done so far is bought all the parts an glued up the mdf for the radius dishes, I've got 3 electric builds going right now 2 are getting finished this week and the other's being sent to someone when I get the body and neck done so hopefully next week I should be done.
You guys were talking about lignum vitae, right?

I know a guy with an ironwood fence. Want me to steal it?

420 this is shaping up to be rather interesting. Good luck man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
I have all the parts besides the bridge pins which are back ordered and the fretwire which is coming Tuesday. I'm hoping to get a start on this next week. I've been pretty busy with other builds (I have 4 active build threads going on right now) but I have had a chance to start the back radius dish.

parts:

striped ebony fingerboard:

Last edited by 420 FREAK at Jan 7, 2009,
That is a nice fretboard!

This is going to be a really nice guitar 420.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
^ same pic twice

edit, you fixed it
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Øttər
That is a nice fretboard!

This is going to be a really nice guitar 420.

Thanks, the fretboard is awesome, I got it from LMI and you can state your preference as to stripey or mostly black.
I just edited the pic everytime I post pics I seem to do one double so there's a better pic of it now.
Quote by LP Addict
man you gotta make your own bridge! haha.

this should be good, radius dishes suck to make.

I decided not to on this one idk why I should have done it the next one I'll make the bridge.

Yeah I hate making them, at least with the facemask and respirator I can breathe easy and theres no sawdust getting in my eyes. I'm not even done with that one yet and I had 3 inches of dust on the floor.
Wait, what are radius dishes used for? I'm lost. (acoustic n00b )
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
my member is 6'... feet, not inches

i commend you, sir 420. i dont have the patience to build an acoustic. you must be very relaxed from all that 420 action.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by Y3rd4dd1
Your parts smell of Stewmac...

What's everyone have a against stewmac? Some of the hardware and most of the tools are overpriced but for parts like truss rods, pre-slotted fingerboards, binding, and even the preshaped braces there prices are good and I get the order 3 days after I place it which is very convinient. I did get a lot from lmi for this build though including the plans which ended up being stewmac plans.
Quote by metalwarrior40
Wait, what are radius dishes used for? I'm lost. (acoustic n00b )

I couldn't figure out what they were before too before I got interested in acoustics, they are just dishes that are the same radius as the back and soundboard, and they are used to sand the bottom of the braces, sand the edges of the sides before gluing on the top and back, and to hold the top and back at the radius when gluing in the radiused braces to the top and back.
This builds going to be kind of slower once I start since I'm not sure how I'm doing everything. I'm trying to gather as much info as I can and just bought $85 worth of guitar making books off of amazon so now I have almost every book on making steel string guitars besides a few out of print ones.
I love spruce.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I sell double action truss rods for like 10 bucks... they're the single threaded rod and welded steel bar style like doeringer (they're allparts rods). I like the design, less backlash than stewmac and they seem to adjust a little sooner with tenison

problem is i have to have the parts shipped to me before I ship them out so they take a while to get

and i just got hosed on 3 pots and 3 single coil pickups tonight so from now on I want FULL PAYMENT when anyone orders parts before ANY order is placed. Now I have to eat like 40 bucks worth of stuff...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Page 1 of 3