I'm considering one of these for my RG/M build:

Two questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with either that trem, or similar units?

2. Would I need a locking nut still? (I'm guessing that's a yes).
Id say go for it.Wilkinson makes solid parts for a fair price. Locking nut is not necessary,but its always nice
wouldnt a locking nut screw up your tuning as you dont have fine tuners?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
wouldnt a locking nut screw up your tuning as you dont have fine tuners?

Now THAT is a marvelous point.

In that case.. locking tuners? Or should I be fine with some non-locking Sperzels?

Lawl, I'm so not into this trem lark.
id go with sperzels and a graphite nut if your not going to whammy the hell out of it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Yeah, or go cheap and the get Wilkinson EZ lock, they're good by the sound of it, graphite nut and graphite string trees to. Or a roller nut! They're brilliant.
Quote by minibrowny
Yeah, or go cheap and the get Wilkinson EZ lock, they're good by the sound of it, graphite nut and graphite string trees to. Or a roller nut! They're brilliant.

Good call.

Also, I hate string trees, so I'm going to run with a retainer bar instead.
If you are not into this trem lark, why use a trem?

Also you dont need a locking nut, a graphite nut will suffice, and locking tuners as well will be even better.

I have heard wilkinson EZ lock tuners are not worth the hassle, stick to high ratio sperzles or the equivalent.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I have that trem on a strat with graphite nut, and locking sperzels. It holds tune rather well, if you do anything super crazy like take it as far as it will go yeah, youll go out of tune a bit, but even then, the first dive doesnt sent it out that much. I am not a trem fan though so I have it set up with 5 springs so its a rock, but when I had it with 3 it worked well and held tune.
^^^
the local guitar luth uses these with locking tuners, i think its amazing..he even gets them to flot, like proper floyd rose style..but he is a genius!
he has a roller nut + locking tuners..so...thats were i wud go
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
Quote by Absent Mind
If you are not into this trem lark, why use a trem?

Also you dont need a locking nut, a graphite nut will suffice, and locking tuners as well will be even better.

I have heard wilkinson EZ lock tuners are not worth the hassle, stick to high ratio sperzles or the equivalent.

Sorry man, that came out wrong - I meant that I'm not clued up on it. I've wanted to try decent trems for ages, but Floyds always feel too obtrusive, and vintage trems seem limiting.

Also, I assume that recessing one of these would allow action in both directions?
Yeah you can get strat style trems to pull up as well as dive, I'm not sure if you get the same amount of movement as a FR though

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by -MintSauce-
Sorry man, that came out wrong - I meant that I'm not clued up on it. I've wanted to try decent trems for ages, but Floyds always feel too obtrusive, and vintage trems seem limiting.

Also, I assume that recessing one of these would allow action in both directions?

sure, it would do that. It acts similar to a Fender American 2 point (which has quite a bit of travel).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by -MintSauce-

Dude. Seriously. Trem King. I can get you one if you wish and cheaper than a VS100.
hey Skeet, do you get a discount on the TK?
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I have a Cort with this particular trem.

I can safely say it is "semi-floating" as you can bend up half step normally. /i say normally because nowadays my strings have too much tension (which i doubt) or the springs became weaker, i can bend up a whole note since my bridge sits in an angle/

I think you won't need locking nut. However there are locking tuners on my guitar but i think they are not necessary too.

I think this trem is basically a pimped Strat trem.

It holds tuning good.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by bv310
hey Skeet, do you get a discount on the TK?

I have an arrangement with the man at Trem King. I had conversations with him and his wife, when I had mine sent over.

I can get it cheaper than the $ price on their site. If you want one and Mint Sauce want one, would save on shipping to get them both over.

I wont make any money on it, as a favour. And I can provide you with a link for Feedback as to my reliability.

I am not sure which version either of you would need, likely a TK1 or TK3, depending on what you are starting with.