I've always been learning songs by plugging my guitars straight into my mic input and learning by ear. I had no problem doing this with Windows XP as I would just go to the volume control and unmute the mic input. I got my new laptop and it has Vista and apparently Vista doesn't have the mixer controls that XP does.

Does anyone know how I can make it so that I can hear what's plugged into the mic input as it's playing with Vista without having to record? I'm thinking I'll just downgrade my laptop to XP whenever I find the disc for it but I could use a solution in the meantime.
Do you mean using your computer as an amp? also I am interested to know what you're talking about, so just tell me what to do for XP and I'll do it, and then go from there.
I'm Luke.
Ive heard reports of this problem in the past but never a "cure" for it...yet.

I suggest just getting a small audio interface like a fast track USB or EMU 0202 and running your guitar to that. You will be able to play audio out to the interface and monitor all audio though the interface phones or speaker jack.

Alternativly, you could try a small Tapco mixer and run audio to that and monitor from the phones jack. It's not as ideal as the interface but will get the job done.

Some sound card drivers will have a new mixer you can use without Vistas default setup and will be able to monitor as you input audio into the mic port.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Datrooper
Do you mean using your computer as an amp? also I am interested to know what you're talking about, so just tell me what to do for XP and I'll do it, and then go from there.

Only for practicing in the middle of the night as I'm always busy during the day. With XP I'd just plug my guitars straight into the mic input and go to the volume control menu and uncheck the "mute" box and adjust the volume accordingly. Then I could monitor the mic input through the speaker output, Vista doesn't seem to give me that option.