Page 1 of 3
yay

strokes - is this it
smiths - the smiths
REM - murmer
the shins - oh inverted world
radiohead - ok computer

edit : mines a mixture, some personal favs (shins) some utter classics (rem)

if it were purely for genre i'd add the stone roses

for me i'd add the Kills
Last edited by lefthandman9876 at Dec 24, 2008,
Modest Mouse-Lonesome Crowded West
Neutral Milk Hotel-In An Aeroplane Over The Sea
Radiohead-Ok Computer
Elliott Smith-Roman Candle
Nick Drake-Pink Moon

That's my list
the velvet underground & nico
sonic youth - daydream nation
radiohead - ok computer
rem - murmur
my bloody valentine - loveless
Tiger style.
Last edited by kevinm4435 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by h-fed
Modest Mouse-Lonesome Crowded West
Radiohead-Ok Computer
Elliott Smith-Roman Candle
Nick Drake-Pink Moon

That's my list
Quote by kevinm4435
radiohead - ok computer
rem - murmur

combine these two lists to make

radiohead - ok computer

and out comes my opinion.
oasis - whats the story (morning glory)
Hack up her body, put it in plastic bags, and dump it in the woods. This will get you a laugh 9 times out of 10.

So, how are your iPods and your games, and your $200 jeans this Christmas. I got a ceramic horse.

Exo M6

OWNED
Quote by bowlerhatlizard
oasis - whats the story (morning glory)

oasis are more rock than indie, and anyway that albums only half good, definalty maybe is more definitive, although i really dislike that (i generally dislike oasis)
Top 5 (for the overall benefit of the genre)

1. Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
2. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
3. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
4. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
5. Radiohead - Ok Computer

Top 5 (personal opinions of albums that did more than people think)
1. Guided by Voices - Gold Star For Robot Boy
2. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
3. Husker Du - New Day Rising
4. Modest Mouse - The Moon and Antarctica
5. Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs

2. Pixies - Surfer Rosa
This is the best list so far. It's kind of hard to do in just five albums, because I think Husker Du was just as influential to the genre as a whole. You can say the same thing about NMH.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
The Pixies-Doolittle (Really any Pixies album, that's just my favorite and what I'm listening to)
Sonic Youth-Daydream Nation
The Velvet Underground-The Velvet Underground and Nico (surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet)
Something by The Cars
The Talking Heads-77
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Good call on the Talking Heads.

Unrelated, but has anyone listened to the new David Byrne and Brian Eno album?
Poor advice.
i have it and i haven't listened to it, yet.

i plan on, but there just doesn't seem to be enough time anymore.

anyway ...

slanted & enchanted - pavement
daydream nation - sonic youth
velvet underground & nico - the velvet underground
ok computer - radiohead
unknown pleasures - joy division

that's what i have, right now.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by korinaflyingv
combine these two lists to make

radiohead - ok computer

and out comes my opinion.

I agree with this. All the way.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Ok Computer - Radiohead
Pavement - Wowee Zowee
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Illinois - Sufjan Stevens
Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
Whoa.
Wowee Zowee?

You know, it's my favorite Pavement album, but I wouldn't consider it their most important album.
Poor advice.
Quote by stellar_legs
Whoa.
Wowee Zowee?

You know, it's my favorite Pavement album, but I wouldn't consider it their most important album.

Well i do.
Quote by stellar_legs
Good call on the Talking Heads.

Unrelated, but has anyone listened to the new David Byrne and Brian Eno album?

I have listened to some of it and its ****ing stellar.
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
i don't mean to seem like i care about material things. like a social status. i just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls.
Sgt. Pepper's, Pet Sounds, Double Nickles on a Dime, You Turn Me On, and uh... III.
12 fret fury
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Radiohead - OK Computer
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Oasis - (What's the Story?) Morning Glory
Quote by stellar_legs

Top 5 (personal opinions of albums that did more than people think)
1. Guided by Voices - Gold Star For Robot Boy

hmm... was Gold Star for Robot Boy an album? I could be wrong but I think it only appears on Bee Thousand and a couple of live albums (none of which are called GSfRB).

anyway, my list:

Slint - Spiderland
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Slanted & Enchanted - Pavement
i swear, half of these lists are things that i may have said, but for the sake of keeping things exciting (and perhaps for arguement's sake) i will try to come up with something different and perhaps worth saying using albums people haven't mentioned.

1. Sonic Youth - Sister
2. David Bowie - Low
3. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
4. The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
5. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
for the genre:

1. pixies - doolittle
2. pavement - slanted & enchanted
3. the beach boys - pet sounds
4. the velvet underground - vu & nico
5. built to spill - perfect from now on

i know pet sounds isn't indie, per se, but enough can't be said about its influence on modern indie bands, particularly those that appeal to me (see: elephant 6).

personal list:

1. elliott smith - either/or
2. neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
3. the velvet underground - the velvet underground
4. m. ward - transfiguration of vincent
5. okkervil river - black sheep boy
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Pixies - Doolitle
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On

Or something like that. In The Aeroplane is NOT important in anyway or form.
just one question. do you guys actually consider the velvet underground, david bowie, talking heads, joy division etc indie?
Quote by trackmind
just one question. do you guys actually consider the velvet underground, david bowie, talking heads, joy division etc indie?

depends on what you mean by indie.
Quote by NGD1313
depends on what you mean by indie.

possibly. i mean, david bowie, for example, is far from indie to me. well, maybe not far from indie, but low wasn't released on an indie label, and the album was released long before people started using the word "indie" to define a sound or a certain genre of music. so i don't see how it possibly could be indie. it might have influenced indie bands, but that doesn't make it an indie (rock/pop) album. at least not to me.
if we were to eliminate anything that is on a major label a decent amount of what has been mentioned in this thread would have to be eliminated. that means no Loveless for those of us in the US, no Radiohead, no VU, etc.

but if this was brought on by my list, i just felt like making a list of highly influential albums to what is considered "indie" today using things that hadn't been mentioned.
Quote by uhh_me?
if we were to eliminate anything that is on a major label a decent amount of what has been mentioned in this thread would have to be eliminated. that means no Loveless for those of us in the US, no Radiohead, no VU, etc.
that wasn't my point at all. i don't care whether the bands are on indie labels or not. it's just that i don't consider talking heads or joy division indie as such. when people talk about indie, i think of indie rock and genres associated with it (shoegaze, noise rock, indie pop, post-rock etc) and not bands that bands that released their first successful album prior to the indie/alternative "movement" of the late 80's/early 90's (i'm thinking bands like sonic youth, dinosaur jr, my bloody valentine, pixies, pavement, and so on).

Quote by uhh_me?
but if this was brought on by my list, i just felt like making a list of highly influential albums to what is considered "indie" today using things that hadn't been mentioned.
i was really just curious. i didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. and you were far from the only one including albums i don't consider indie on your list, so i can't say this was brought on solely by your list.
Quote by uhh_me?
i swear, half of these lists are things that i may have said, but for the sake of keeping things exciting (and perhaps for arguement's sake) i will try to come up with something different and perhaps worth saying using albums people haven't mentioned.

1. Sonic Youth - Sister
2. David Bowie - Low
3. Talking Heads - Remain In Light
4. The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
5. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground

All of these could be used except Sister. I can't see it being more important than Daydream Nation.
Quote by trackmind
that wasn't my point at all. i don't care whether the bands are on indie labels or not. it's just that i don't consider talking heads or joy division indie as such. when people talk about indie, i think of indie rock and genres associated with it (shoegaze, noise rock, indie pop, post-rock etc) and not bands that bands that released their first successful album prior to the indie/alternative "movement" of the late 80's/early 90's (i'm thinking bands like sonic youth, dinosaur jr, my bloody valentine, pixies, pavement, and so on).

i was really just curious. i didn't mean to offend anyone or anything. and you were far from the only one including albums i don't consider indie on your list, so i can't say this was brought on solely by your list.

first off, i wasn't insulted. if anything i was pleased.

second, i sort of understand what you mean, but both Talking Heads and Joy Division were post-punk, a genre which i am pretty sure most people would say was massively influential to what we know as indie.

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
All of these could be used except Sister. I can't see it being more important than Daydream Nation.

psh. without Sister there would be no DDN.
also, you are crazy to say that Aeroplane isn't influential. that thing has been key in so many albums that have been released since '98.
Quote by uhh_me?
first off, i wasn't insulted. if anything i was pleased.

second, i sort of understand what you mean, but both Talking Heads and Joy Division were post-punk, a genre which i am pretty sure most people would say was massively influential to what we know as indie.

psh. without Sister there would be no DDN.
also, you are crazy to say that Aeroplane isn't influential. that thing has been key in so many albums that have been released since '98.

Yeah, but you could use that argument for a **** loada things.
And yeah, i probably am crazy. It's a great album and all...I just get sick of people saying it's such an inovative and original album etc. when it's not. I guess it has influenced bands like Arcade Fire though, and they're one of my favorites.
Doesn't The Velvet Underground & Nico predate indie by like 20 years?

Loveless
Daydream Nation
Let It Be - The Replacements
Zen Arcade
Slanted & Enchanted
^yup, but it's a key influence on the genre. Also, it all depends on whether you see indie as a genre or as a title for for any band on an indpendant label.
Quote by trackmind

No, I was considering this the most important albums to creating the genre.
Quote by stellar_legs

2. Pixies - Surfer Rosa

This.

Top 5 (personal, in no particular order)

Sonic Youth - Sister (probably my favourite SY; this one has a really lovely feel)
Pixies - Surfer Rosa (the perfect pop album; noise-rock for the whole family)
MBV - Isn't Anything (the perfect guitar album)
Wire - Pink Flag (the ultimate in brevity and minimalism; my favourite of the 77 punk releases)
The Smiths - s/t (saved my life)
Page 1 of 3