Well, the title says it all. My parents for some reason don't want me to buy used gear, how can I convince them that used gear is a good way to go?
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
just tell them a little fib man.

like its vintage or something and you can make money off it later on.

what are you planning to buy my friend?
Yeah, tell them it's like buying a used car. You buy a new one, the moment you leave the lot, it devalues.

Are you using your own money? Tell them in a nice way that it is your money after all and that it's your responsibility.

And tell them it's saving money of course.
yea its my own money, I am looking at used amps in my area and the price of new gear is so ridiculous that I think used is the way to go.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

Quote by etays69
Why are you arguing, take new gear....

because if they buy used, they could get better stuff for less money
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I would always go used on any decent amp and pedals. On the other hand, I think I would want a guitar that's only been used by me. Who knows whose grubby fingers have touched that thing, and guitars with dings/scratches made by someone else aren't too cool.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
I buy used gear if at all possible, but If they want to buy you new gear why not take advantage?
tell them that the pit says its good so it must be.

well on a serious note; I agree with the rest of the serious posts in this thread tell them that if you buy it new, take anything made by epiphone for example: as soon as you leave the store the value cuts in two. it depreciates so fast that for all you know that peice of used gear could have been bought new from the store that very same day and is now 60% off of the original price.

if they are buying it for you tell them that they could get you a new low end ibanez for example or a used high end ibanez for around the same price.

only thing is make sure it is worth buying it. make sure that it works and etc.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by pwrmax
Tell them it's like buying used vehicles.

that won't work if they don't want to buy used vehicles, though...

to be honest, it's not black and white- buying used ISN'T always a good idea, contrary to popular opinion. You have more chance of getting a good deal, but you also have more chance of someone trying to unload something which is broken, or someone unloading something that they haven't taken good care of, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sixstringsteve
Who knows whose grubby fingers have touched that thing, and guitars with dings/scratches made by someone else aren't too cool.

Other people's dings are better then the feeling in your gut after you inflict the first ding on your new baby.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
A simple lesson in math and consumer economics.

New=overpriced
Used=cheap

The whole point of being a consumer is getting the best things at the lowest prices. That's what everybody wants. We don't want to pay out our ass for something that sucks. So we find something that has already been used, buy it, and then get over the fact that it's not as pretty as the new thing because at least we can afford it in the first place.

Buying used is a way of getting good things while not necessarily being rich. And some things they just don't make anymore. Guitar equipment is like a fine wine...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by mohawkkidJohn
tell them that the pit says its good so it must be.

well on a serious note; I agree with the rest of the serious posts in this thread tell them that if you buy it new, take anything made by epiphone for example: as soon as you leave the store the value cuts in two. it depreciates so fast that for all you know that peice of used gear could have been bought new from the store that very same day and is now 60% off of the original price.

if they are buying it for you tell them that they could get you a new low end ibanez for example or a used high end ibanez for around the same price.

only thing is make sure it is worth buying it. make sure that it works and etc.

+1

dude i bought a used MIJ Ibanez 1990 RG770DXLB off my craigslist for 300 bucks. they just reissued the exact same model for 1750 bucks!!!
There just looking out for ya man... I honestly hate buying used gear from an individual. Because you never know he could have jimmy rigged it to work just for the test run then he skips town. I alway buy my used stuff from GC or Mom and pop shops because atleast there I have 30 days to return it if anything happens.

A side not as well.... Out of the used gear I have purchase I can honestly say 70% of it broke or started to crackle and fizzle within the first 30 days.
We need some more info.

What are you buying specifically? (Does it matter if it's worn/aged a bit?)
Who are you buying it from? (Is the seller a friend, is he/she trustworthy? Is it a rare opportunity?)
Why do you want this used stuff? (Is it too expensive to buy it new? Is it out of stock?)

You need the right arguments to answer each of these questions, and use those to convince your parents.
Quote by Dave_Mc
that won't work if they don't want to buy used vehicles, though...

to be honest, it's not black and white- buying used ISN'T always a good idea, contrary to popular opinion. You have more chance of getting a good deal, but you also have more chance of someone trying to unload something which is broken, or someone unloading something that they haven't taken good care of, etc.

Words of wisdom here. You must always be careful of buying used electronics like amps and TVs. However most of the time you can get good deals on good equipment. Try it out first.
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Also show them that you're smart enough to not get ripped off. If you're buying it from CL or something, just ask them to go with you to check out the item. Inspect it, ask questions, show your parents you actually know what you're talking about it and what you're looking for.

Or you could always, y'know, kill your parents.
Quote by tenaciousjp
+1

dude i bought a used MIJ Ibanez 1990 RG770DXLB off my craigslist for 300 bucks. they just reissued the exact same model for 1750 bucks!!!

congratz

i got my schecter C1 hellraiser W/ EMG 81s for 300 used and the only thing that was wrong with it was that there was a small scratch on the headstock which was easily repaired with some black nailpolish. Btw that is a great method to use when its not a deep scratch.

Left hand man of the fargoth fanclub! PM lamafunguy to join.

Quote by InvaderTSN
Better yet. "My arm is tired, could I put it in between your legs so I can sexually violate you during the movie?"
Quote by Irnmaiden4life
lets watch this thread die like i should have on page 1
Quote by E V H 5150

New=overpriced
Used=cheap

The whole point of being a consumer is getting the best things at the lowest prices. That's what everybody wants. We don't want to pay out our ass for something that sucks. So we find something that has already been used, buy it, and then get over the fact that it's not as pretty as the new thing because at least we can afford it in the first place.

Buying used is a way of getting good things while not necessarily being rich. And some things they just don't make anymore. Guitar equipment is like a fine wine...

that's a gross oversimplification.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
There just looking out for ya man... I honestly hate buying used gear from an individual. Because you never know he could have jimmy rigged it to work just for the test run then he skips town. I alway buy my used stuff from GC or Mom and pop shops because atleast there I have 30 days to return it if anything happens.

A side not as well.... Out of the used gear I have purchase I can honestly say 70% of it broke or started to crackle and fizzle within the first 30 days.

i've been reasonably lucky with the few used things I've bought, but i'm never that keen on it and only really consider it if the stuff isn't available any more.

and as you rightly say, you aren't saving anything if it doesn't work as well as the new stuff would, or if you have to chuck a pile of money at it to get back into tip-top shape.

don't get me wrong, if you know what you're doing, do your research, are careful, and don't fall for something which is too good to be true, then you can do quite well with used stuff.

but it's a bit like putting money in the bank versus investing in shares- you wouldn't tell an economics noob to start wholeheartedly investing in the stock market or in hedge funds etc., and i wouldn't advise a noob to guitar to start messing with the second-hand market either. you can get burned if you aren't very careful. Even if you are, sometimes.

Quote by Withakay
We need some more info.

What are you buying specifically? (Does it matter if it's worn/aged a bit?)
Who are you buying it from? (Is the seller a friend, is he/she trustworthy? Is it a rare opportunity?)
Why do you want this used stuff? (Is it too expensive to buy it new? Is it out of stock?)

You need the right arguments to answer each of these questions, and use those to convince your parents.

agreed. and if you can't find the right arguments, then maybe your parents are right.

Quote by SkaJon
Words of wisdom here. You must always be careful of buying used electronics like amps and TVs. However most of the time you can get good deals on good equipment. Try it out first.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ With me its because most of the stuff I have purchased has been pedals and rack gear. Rack gear im 0/10 at the moment lol. And its mostly stuff like scratchy pots and things like that, simple fix's but I shouldnt have to deal with it so I just return it. Now there have been a few broken things I have purchased on purpose to fix and profit on or for my own personal gain.

That said I have had almost just as much new stuff break on me. I have extremely bad luck with pedals for some reason...
oh yeah, it's not that new stuff can't break, it's just that if it does you're covered by law etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My parents are the same, but what the hell. at least they payed half for my amp
Quote by E V H 5150

New=overpriced
Used=cheap

if you knew anything about economics you would know that if something was overpriced there would be a surplus of said item because it wouldn't sell and the price would have to be cut back in order to meet the consumer's standards or else the company would go out of business. so no, new =/= overpriced

yes buying new does mean you'll be spending more money, however it really depends on what you're buying. if you're going to make a killer deal on something and get a piece of equipment for hundreds of dollars less than new AND it's in good working condition, hell why spend the extra money. however, buying new pretty much ensures that the item you're buying is in perfect working condition and under warranty. so if you're buying an amp and the difference between new and used is only $100 - $200 you have to ask yourself, do you want to take the risk, or do you want to fork over the extra money for the assurance that your product is going to be perfect when you get it?

personally if there's only a $100-$200 difference between new and used on an expensive piece of equipment i surely don't want to break down (like an amp), i'm spending that extra money to make sure it's perfect.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I have never bought any guitar equipment new.
I got given a digitech RP-50 new and that's probably the thing that's ****ed the most for me.
Just try and make sure you can play it before you buy.
Good luck

(I hope I don't owe that russian guy money now...)
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
I am looking at used amps, specificly Marshall JCM's. They are not going to contribute any money to this it will be all my own money. I have done research on amps and the JCM's fit my needs, the problem is that new they cost a boatload of cash, however used I could pick one up for under $500. Every used piece of gear has worked fine for me, I think they are concerned because the last deal I made (which was for a green Russina Big Muff that i love) the pedal didnt work right away and I didnt try it out first. But that was just because i was unloading a cheap bass that was eating up lots of space. As it turned out all I needed to do was kick my pedal to get it working, the local tech said it was a common issue.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by lbj273
I am looking at used amps, specificly Marshall JCM's. They are not going to contribute any money to this it will be all my own money. I have done research on amps and the JCM's fit my needs, the problem is that new they cost a boatload of cash, however used I could pick one up for under $500.
Ok, I can work with this.

First print out the specs and info and learn most of it, as if someone was going to give you a pop quiz (someone = parents). Find out which parts are most likely to wear out one day (google is your friend). Ask the seller how old the amp is and when (if any) parts last have been replaced. (Does he have proof, like an invoice). Find out what it costs to replace those parts.

Get some reviews, especially the kind that says "I've had mine since WWII and it still runs like a Sherman M4". These are arguments to counter the "It will breakdown immediately"-conversation.

Find out why the previous owner wants to part with it. If it's a reasonable reason, use it. But be prepared to answer why you wouldn't one day want to sell it for the exact same reason.

Armed with all this, start a conversation with your folks. Flood them with interesting but exact data to counter every argument. Show them you've made your homework and that you are serious about this piece of gear. Often use phrazes like "That's right, but what about..." and "You've got a good point there, however...".

Here are some basic parent psychology tips:

* Parents don't like nagging and whining. They've had to deal with that their entire parent-life. Talk in a calm voice.
* Parents are not smarter than you, but they've experienced everything at least once before you. Don't tell them they don't know/understand, even if they don't.
* Parents like to be consulted. The older you get, the more they feel you are slipping away from them. So, ask for their opinions. Get them involved. Make them believe you actually need them. They will feel proud, and therefore less hostile to your plan. Maybe you can ask if one of them can come and help evaluate the gear. It will show you plan to thoroughly test it.
* Anyone who is tired is hard to convince. Talk to them when they are well rested and in a general good mood. First talk a bit about things they like before starting about the amp. The smoother it goes, the easier they will consider your arguments.

Good luck.
Ok, well my parents went ahead and got me a $200 g.ift card to Guitar Center for x-mas, I will be able to contribute money to the fund but now I am limited to what they carry. What are some amps under $500 for sure but preferably closer to $300-$400 that will be similar to the JCM's
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Its really easy to convince them.

"Mod/dad/anyone it worked for this person for maybe as long as a year, why would I buy something new and untested that may break after i first turn it on."

Thats how I convinced my dad to let me buy a used b-52. Since I went through two FAILED bugeras in a row he understood what I was talking about.

cars are a different story.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by lbj273
Ok, well my parents went ahead and got me a $200 g.ift card to Guitar Center for x-mas, I will be able to contribute money to the fund but now I am limited to what they carry. What are some amps under $500 for sure but preferably closer to $300-$400 that will be similar to the JCM's

Peavy Classic 30 and Crate V18 are good starts...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Ok so I made a new thread devoted to which amp, because I now am pretty much forced to buy from Guitar Center due to the gift card. You can find that thread here
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Waterboy799
if you knew anything about economics you would know that if something was overpriced there would be a surplus of said item because it wouldn't sell and the price would have to be cut back in order to meet the consumer's standards or else the company would go out of business. so no, new =/= overpriced

yes buying new does mean you'll be spending more money, however it really depends on what you're buying. if you're going to make a killer deal on something and get a piece of equipment for hundreds of dollars less than new AND it's in good working condition, hell why spend the extra money. however, buying new pretty much ensures that the item you're buying is in perfect working condition and under warranty. so if you're buying an amp and the difference between new and used is only $100 - $200 you have to ask yourself, do you want to take the risk, or do you want to fork over the extra money for the assurance that your product is going to be perfect when you get it?

personally if there's only a $100-$200 difference between new and used on an expensive piece of equipment i surely don't want to break down (like an amp), i'm spending that extra money to make sure it's perfect.

exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Waterboy799
if you knew anything about economics you would know that if something was overpriced there would be a surplus of said item because it wouldn't sell and the price would have to be cut back in order to meet the consumer's standards or else the company would go out of business.
You forget marketing. A good campaign can turn a pile of monkey droppings into an expensive sought-after commodity.
Quote by lbj723
Seems like your parents out-manoeuvred you. :-) But your initial $500 plus an extra $200 makes a total budget of $700. What happened to the rest?
Quote by Withakay
You forget marketing. A good campaign can turn a pile of monkey droppings into an expensive sought-after commodity.

yeah, that's true. but that's going to affect used prices as well as new prices. if something's sought-after, both the new and used prices are going to be affected, as used prices are usually based on how much the thing goes for new, minus maybe 25-50%.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tell them if you can't buy it used, they're buying it new.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by Withakay
Seems like your parents out-manoeuvred you. :-) But your initial $500 plus an extra $200 makes a total budget of $700. What happened to the rest?

I didn't have any of it yet, I was anticipating paychecks. I am seriously considering the Palomino v50 which is going for $350 at GC. Otherwise if I waited until my next paycheck I should have around $600, which would put me into the range of the Classic 30 and the AC15. Does anybody have soundclips of the Palomino v50? I don't really like the sound of the Classic 30, but does how does the AC15 do classic rock and blues? I am trying to go for a ZZ Top tone mostly, but as heavy as GNR, I really do need two channels because I use clean tones alot.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by IbanezPsycho

Out of the used gear I"ve bought, 90% worked perfectly, 30% I used and sold later for a profit, and another 50% I've used and sold later for even money.