Okay, for Christmas, I asked for a new Ibanez GSA60 guitar. I heard great things about the Ibanez name, and when I tried it out at the store, it sounded great. But not on my equipment.

I snuck it out of my closet today to play around with it, and it sounded pretty terrible on the music I usually play (Guns n' roses, Aerosmith, Hendix, Nirvana). I tried some of my metal licks, and it sounded amazing. More research on my part, and I discover that Ibanez is a metal-driven guitar, and I don't play metal.

Based on the music I like to play (Gn'R, Aerosmith, Hendrix, Nirvana), recommend me some brands (or a specific guitar) that will help me focus in on the sound I seek.

Also, I have a budget of around $500.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Quote by Dwarfish
More research on my part, and I discover that Ibanez is a metal-driven guitar, and I don't play metal.

Not actually true. Espcecially with an SA series (albeit a beginner one).

Learn to tweak your settings and use your volume knob. Or get a better amp, that would be an even better move on your part, as opposed to looking to replace a gift you haven't even gotten yet.
Sounds to me like a new amp would be better.

With that budget, used Peavey Classic, Traynor YCV50Blue would be good. Though your guitars aren't the best, nothing's going to really sound good with that amp.
yeah, the amp's the problem. if it sounded good in the store, and doesn't sound good at home, the amp is going to be the main culprit, i'd have thought.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That guitar was actually my first guitar. I don't play metal either. It was great for it's purpose, I got a lot out of it, and I think it's just your amp settings that you need to mess with a little.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
I have a new amp, but it is not exactly "popular" around here. *cough* Spider III*cough*

I'm happy with it, so please don't flame me.

My other guitar sounds fine coming out of it, but my new one sounds very muddy, and distant. I have fiddled with all the settings, and I can't get the tone I like.

Wait, I have a 66' Melody Maker. Would it be better to fix that up? It is a bit of sentimental value, but It plays like ****.
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
i own a gsa60 too and it sounds fine.
just try out some settings on your amp or get an overdrive pedal :P
even with my margshall mg30 + distortion pedal i get some decent tones out of it :p

merry christmas by the way..
Beer is fine.
fixing up the melody maker would be awesome, but you'd want to take it to a luthier that you trust 100%, and don't do anything that's not reversible.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Guns N Roses are metal or hard rock and ibanez sucks anyway unless its a high end one
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
sometimes guitars and amps dont match up well...from playin the spider at the store with an Ibanez rg350, it either seemed to be a extremely bassy clean, extreme warm distortion, or an extreme trebly distortion....there wasnt a lot in between, so I get that it might be tough to get that in between Aerosmith tone...I'd hold onto the guitar though, maybe fix up the melody maker and in the future you may get an amp that the guitar sounds great on
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Take that guitar and shove it all the way up Santa's ass. ATM with it.
yo man for hendrix and nirvana a fender strat ($400) would be perfect
for Guns and Aerosmith an Epiphone Les Paul Standard (bout $500) would be great for those two since both guitarists of those bands use les pauls
p.s. Line 6 Spider III amps are awesome

Peace
"Knowledge Speaks but Wisdom Listens" - Jimi Hendrix

GEAR

Epiphone limited edition 1966 G-400
Line 6 Spider III 15