Hello all. I was recently given an old Gibson Melody Maker. I am not sure of the exact year, but it looks to be at least 30 years old.

It was my grandfathers, and my dad recently gave it to me when he discovered that I played guitar. I gave it to me because I am his only son, and everyone else in the family would simply try to sell it.

I never met my grandfather, and it is a great honor for me to play my long-deceased grandfather's guitar. However, the guitar plays pretty terribly. The neck and fingerboard is rough, and all notes are cut off when played on anything higher than the 3rd fret.

Basically, I want to fix this guitar. Put a new pickup, fix the note problem, all that stuff, so I can actually play it.

Any advice you guys have is welcomed.

EDIT: Sorry, picture won't upload for some reason
Ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider 30W

Wishlist:
Schecter Hellraiser
Line 6 Valveking
Last edited by Dwarfish at Dec 24, 2008,
Get it the truss rod adjusted, everything set up. It may need to be re-fretted. Might also want to check the wiring as well.

I suggest going to a local luthier that you trust (probably not GC), and having them do it.
theres no picture attach

and why would you wanna replace 30+ years old pickups??!?
I woundnt

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Get it setup. The guy doing it SHOULD replace the strings, properly setup the bridge and neck so that it will work properly. And ask him if he can polish the neck.

And don't replace the pickups. A guitar like that is meant to be played the way it was created or not played at all. Replacing the pickups may get the 'preferred tone' but with vintage instruments, you want the original sound. Unless the pickups are COMPLETE ****.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by -MintSauce-
^

What if the magnets in the pickups are degaussed?

Lawl.

Then you'd definitely replace them.

*REPEAT*UNLESS THE PICKUPS ARE COMPLETE *****REPEAT*
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
if the pickups are FUBAR replace them, tastefully, no emgs

if it has the original paint leave it.

basically make it playable again and replace only what needs to be replace.

oh yeah- i dont see any problem in replacing the wires, jack, and pots, those dont really matter that much to replace
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Get a luthier to adjust the truss rod, bridge, whatever it may be... you might have to get it re-fretted. DO NOT REPLACE THE PICKUPS!!!!! If it's a 30 year old melody maker, you dont want to put new EMG's or any other garbage in there. Keep it original, do NOT mod it!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by skaterkevin87
Get a luthier to adjust the truss rod, bridge, whatever it may be... you might have to get it re-fretted. DO NOT REPLACE THE PICKUPS!!!!! If it's a 30 year old melody maker, you dont want to put new EMG's or any other garbage in there. Keep it original, do NOT mod it!

...You just repeated what other people have already said...
Quote by minibrowny

I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by skaterkevin87

...You are just being childish and spamming here...

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal