i was thinking of refinishing my guitar with chrome paint. has anyone had any experience with a good chrome paint and clear coat that would work on a guitar?

thanks.
Chrome paint? What kind of effect are you trying to get?
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Quote by stroodles
lol yup trying to get something that looks similar to the chromeboy

Ok. I've heard that it needs about 6-7 coats to take effect. But it should come out clean.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
ok thanks. what brand of chrome paint would be suitable to put on a guitar?
I would rap my guitar in foil paper, and then clear coat it a bajillion times untill it's solid again. THAT would give you allot of shiny...
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
HAHA
^I like this guys idea, even if it would sound like **** and screw with the pickups like nothing else. I've got a nice chrome spraypaint in my garage... I could go take a look and tell you what brand it is, if you wanted.
try my idea, TRY ITTTTTTT!!!!!!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Tuf-Shield Polycarbonate spray paint. I would suggest 5 or 6 coats and around two or three coats of clear over the top. (or whatever other clear finish you're gonna throw over the top)

EDIT: one more thing:
It's going to look really thin with the first couple coats: almost watery. Don't panic and put a bunch of extra paint on.
Quote by Emoishboy
HAHA
^I like this guys idea, even if it would sound like **** and screw with the pickups like nothing else. I've got a nice chrome spraypaint in my garage... I could go take a look and tell you what brand it is, if you wanted.

How is wrapping the guitar going to make it sound bad? It wont, finish on a solid electric is pretty much negligible tone wise. Also it is not going to screw with the pickups, I cant see how you would think it would. If anything, if he grounds his finish it will act to shield everything keeping it all quiet.
... I would be cutting holes in the foil paper so that the pickups are still exposed and visible....
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
It just might vibrate against the wood of the guitar. It's the same concept as putting stickers on it: it changes the way the wood vibrates all around. Maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable as it would be on a semi-hollow or an acoustic, but it's a noticeable difference. That's why I try not to put stickers on my guitars.
And I hadn't considered that it might just shield the electronics. that's possible, I'll admit.
i dont care.... That's my new obstacle for this month, I'm going to wrap my strat in foil paper, and prove all of you's wrong... muhahaha...ahhahaha...ahhahahHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

>.>

<.<

>.>
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
No problem, dude. I help when I can... when I can't, then there are smarter people to turn to. XD
*coughjimcoughLPcough*
Quote by Emoishboy
It just might vibrate against the wood of the guitar. It's the same concept as putting stickers on it: it changes the way the wood vibrates all around. Maybe it wouldn't be as noticeable as it would be on a semi-hollow or an acoustic, but it's a noticeable difference.

Not meaning to call you out, but there is no way one sticker can make a noticeable difference and if you say you notice, it's a lie.
Prove me wrong.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Not one sticker. You're right, one sticker wouldn't make any noticeable difference whatsoever. But after a while, and oh-so-many stickers, it gets to a point where the sound will start to change.
For instance, I have a friend who has an epiphone les paul of the same model as mine. He covered the /entire/ body with probably 50 or 60 little stickers. His guitar, for one reason or another has less sustain and has a dull sound with treble notes. Maybe it's just a coincidence and it was made slightly differently in one way or another from mine, but I tend to blame the stickers.

In any case, if you'd like to continue this line of discussion, you can PM me.
Quote by Emoishboy
Not one sticker. You're right, one sticker wouldn't make any noticeable difference whatsoever. But after a while, and oh-so-many stickers, it gets to a point where the sound will start to change.
For instance, I have a friend who has an epiphone les paul of the same model as mine. He covered the /entire/ body with probably 50 or 60 little stickers. His guitar, for one reason or another has less sustain and has a dull sound with treble notes. Maybe it's just a coincidence and it was made slightly differently in one way or another from mine, but I tend to blame the stickers.

I thought you were saying you could notice a difference from one sticker. Sorry
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
If you do chrome your guitar, i do want to see this...are you a muse fan perhaps? When i see "Chrome paint on guitar" I think of some of the guitars that Matt has.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by tarlkea
I thought you were saying you could notice a difference from one sticker. Sorry

No worries, dude. 's all good.
Quote by Emoishboy

Ok, I am going to not entirely agree with you again. I'm not going after you, I am just putting my opposing views out there and it just so happens to be twice in the same day, in the same thread.

As for the two epiphone LPs sounding different, they are both probably Asian made guitars, with Asian made pickups, meaning consistency between guitars will be questionable. It is also my personal belief that body finishing is negligible as far as tone goes on solid bodies. I refinished a cheep strat copy in spray on truck bed liner, which made it indestructible, but it also never changed the sound of it.

I also feel that body wood on solid bodies has a minuscule effect on tone. Now, yes I know this is a bigger can of worms then the debate as to weather or not finish effects tone. A lot of what we "think" we hear in body woods is just what we want to hear, placebo effect. I really wish i could find the link, I stumbled upon a university test where they took two blocks of wood, I think they used alder and ash or mahogony, and CNC'ed them into telecaster bodies. They then set up one with a neck, hardware and pickups and used some machine to pluck a string, and recorded the out put. They then took the other body, and used the exact same hardware and neck, set it up exactly the same, and recorded the out put. Both out puts were the same across the guitar frequency range, give or a take a bit for experimental error. I am more inclined to believe that the given hardware make a more significant impact on tone, with the pickups being the biggest influence. Body mass/bridge combination will have an effect on sustain, as well as neck/head stock mass. Next biggest influence will be the neck, with body wood being <1% of total tone. This is for solid bodies, I believe wood choice will have a bigger impact on tone for non-solid bodies, but then it is hard to tell the effects directly as no two trees are the same.

With all that said, go ahead and foil up your guitar, just use really good glue and get it flat. Be prepared for it to flake and peel off though.
^That is the same way I feel about solid bodies. But at the same time, if you compare, for experimental sake, maple and spruce, then you WILL more than likely hear a difference, if just purely in the warmth/sharpness of the tone.

That being said, you are right when you way wood choice has a bigger impact on non-solid bodies. As a matter of fact, wood choice has a HUGE effect on the tone of an acoustic guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by skaterkevin87
i dont care.... That's my new obstacle for this month, I'm going to wrap my strat in foil paper, and prove all of you's wrong... muhahaha...ahhahaha...ahhahahHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

>.>

<.<

>.>

We are going to hold you to this promise.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
The foil from a cigarette package when you peel the paper off can be burnished on the body and it looks really cool, I have done some around the edge of a wooden table and varnished it after. It has seams obviously, but that makes it look even cooler. I may try that with my old squire to see how it looks.

I just tried some marlboro foil, it won't peel. I guess they glue it better these days.
Last edited by Tempoe at Dec 25, 2008,
kk thanks guys wil consider those. btw jsut one quick question if you use bright silver paint and clear coat that will it look similar to chrome. its hard to get a lot of stuff where i live.
Quote by stroodles
kk thanks guys wil consider those. btw jsut one quick question if you use bright silver paint and clear coat that will it look similar to chrome. its hard to get a lot of stuff where i live.

Will look nothing like chrome, the paint is simply called chrome colour, its bascially a silver opaque finish.
On the chromeboy you have to realise, they first dipped it in liquid chrome, but this really burnt the wood, so they use some form of plastic, the point is, CBs are dipped, not sprayed.
The JS600s (I think that's the right one) are sprated a sorta metallic silver, but give a slightly similar idea, but not chrome, though I'm not sure on the results with chrome spray.