Is just playing enough? I mean i don't, and can't, just sit there with a metronome practicing scales and stuff. but i'll play for like 4-5 hours a day, just improvising randomly and over stuff, working idea's in my head out, practicing licks, learning and writing songs, and stuff like that. is that enough or should i be following a schedule and stuff like that?
Well like... I find what you do does help being inventive but strengthening licks + scales with a metronome does help the other stuff a lot you know....
Well, if you've got to choose between practicing and playing, chose playing, since there's no point practicing if you're not going to play.

Beyond that it's down to you and your goals. If you are happy just playing and enjoying the guitar, then that is what you should do. There is nothing wrong with that. If you really want to get better, and be able to play more challenging stuff than your capable of right now, you've got to have a more focused practice, but that should only be part of the equation - you've got to make time for playing. Maybe take an hour of the time you spend, and use it for focusing on and improving your weak areas.
What I do is, I learn chords, scales and modes.. all that stuff. Then I write out technical exercises utilizing the things I just learned. I also improvise a lot with linking modes together with different chords and such..
Schedules = Rapid Improvement

What you do with your schedule though is mix up the boring with things you find fun. I find technique practice, chords/rhythm/scales/arpeggio work, and sight reading/ear training very dull and boring. In between those sections I put time for improvisation studies and repertoire. After I began doing this years ago when I was still a beginner, I began to see improvements like I wouldn't have even thought possible.

Everything eventually goes back to what se012101 mentioned about just playing, because after a couple of months, I would get burnt out on my heavy practice routine and would take a week out to reorganize my routine, get some time away from the guitar, and when I would play, it would just be jamming over songs I already know for fun. Then I would be re energize and came back to practicing as strong as when I started.
What's this for question?

Impossible to answer cause the question is odd.

What do you wanna learn? If you wanna learn sweeps, following the sweep routines in the sticky. IF you wanna learn tapping do the same. If you want to learn Jazz, take up music theory.

You can learn every technique out there, but if u just learn for the sake of learning nobody will like ur music, cause you don't understand what you've learnt in a musicla context.

This is fact. I See it all the time.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
It's "enough", obviously.

If you want to improve faster though, you'll have to really focus on some things, which means taking time to slow down and correct bad habits. See links in sig.
practice for what...is there a goal..to be able to play songs...sight read...play jazz...do studio work...teach...or just say.."i play guitar"

my take: years ago my fascination with jazz chords and players that had full mastery of them drew me toward that style of playing...so my goal was to study and emulate that style...and to this day i still study and practice and incorporate that practice into song structures and improvisation...

and there have been many times i did not want to practice because its WORK...and a process and the results are not instant...but there have been more times when i have played that i almost cry from the joy of being able to play in the style that i dreamed of and appreciate the discipline that it took to practice and go beyond self imposed limits to get that chord or scale run to fit where i wanted it without thinking "will this work?" ...i knew it would because i practiced it every way i was able until it became me...and was as natural as breathing...

play well

wolf
Quote by SaulnierE
Is just playing enough? I mean i don't, and can't, just sit there with a metronome practicing scales and stuff. but i'll play for like 4-5 hours a day, just improvising randomly and over stuff, working idea's in my head out, practicing licks, learning and writing songs, and stuff like that. is that enough or should i be following a schedule and stuff like that?

Are you happy with what you're doing?
shred is gaudy music