ok so the last thread i posted i put 20 bucks on the line with my grandpa

and now he wants to go double or nothing

he is saying that now a standard american song has 32 bars

i've explained to him that there is no set standard number of bars in a song

i've explained to him that in 4/4 timing that u can have 4 quarter notes and thats one bar and there's no limit or standard to how many bars u can have. i explained that the 4 quarter notes is the same as one whole note or 2 half notes.

hes saying that thats wrong and in one measure u need 4 whole notes

hes a complete idiot and wont believe me unless its in writing and on the screen,

i showed him everything that was suggested in the last thread i posted

so now i will show him the responses to this thread

SHOW HIM THAT HES WRONG!!!

and then i will give each of u a virtual hug
#57 in UG Top 100 2010!

I really ought to get my username changed...
actually a bar's length is dependent on time signature. so there could be a bar consiting of 4 whole notes if it is in 1|4 time, that is whole note get the beat, and four beats. but the 4|4 time signature is the most common, which is why it is also known as common time
Quote by PhillyHendrix
hes saying that thats wrong and in one measure u need 4 whole notes

Okay, first thing first, just to make sure he's not confused on this. A measure and a bar are the same thing. Measure is more frequently heard in the U.S and Bar is used more in England.

Right, okay. Here's what music looks like

The one thing that the music is missing is a time signature, which is good because I'm going to go through a few of them. The bar line divides the bar's (or measures), so everytime you see a bar line, it's the start/end of a bar. The length of the bar, and what types of notes are in it, is dependant on the time signature. Let's use a common one.

The most common time signature is 4/4. That means there is 4 beats in the single bar. To get those four beats, you can use different combinations of notes and rests that add to 4 beats, and there are many combinations that you can use.

Here are some combinations:

4 Quarter notes
2 Half notes
1 Whole note
A half note and two quarter notes
3 Quarter notes and a quarter rest
A half note and a half rest
A half rest and two quarter notes

Those are all combinations of note types that can make up ONE BAR on a piece of music with a 4/4 time signature. The thing that they all have in common is every one of those adds up to 4 beats. So if a whole note is equal to 4 beats, you can only have one whole note per bar in a 4/4 time signature.

Basically, if you can follow what I've been saying, it's impossible to fit 4 whole notes in a bar in 4/4 time.

Here's one last picture to show how many beats each note gets.

Quote by MooshMooshMarc

Hi 5 man! this is what Im talkin bout!

Rig:
05' B.C. Rich Warlock
Line 6 Spide III 75 Watt Combo
Behringer Cry Babe
Digitech Death Metal
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Rodam Cables
D'aDarrio XL
Chain for a strap
AABA

hah.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
He's right and you lose again. Most jazz standards (originally made for musicals) were mainly 32 bars. These were also transferred to pop and rock later. They all use the AABA form like lordofthefood1 said which is 8 bars for each section. the most popular changes (at least in my opinion) is the changes from I Got Rhythm which have been used over and over again with different melodies