I recently brought my guitar to a nearby guitar shop for tunning, because I never had it tuned by a luthier since I purchased the guitar. The shop owner offered tuning services starting at $100 dollar to tune my guitar. To me it seemed a little too high for just a tune. I've been searching around the internet to see if there are any self-help tutorials on how to turn a guitar, but with no luck. All of my strings each hits their notes spot on with no buzzes, and the actions are low the way I liked it. Honestly speaking, are there anything a guitar luthier can do, that I can't learn and do myself? Thanks, I have a Seagull S6 original.
do you mean a tuning or a set-up
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Buy a tuner for like 20 bucks

EADGBE

Thats standard tuning.
I believe in you!
Tuning isn't too hard to learn. All you need is one string tuned properly to tune them all.

Try this thread here
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Just because a daewoo dealership has a tune-up service doesn't mean that the ****ers know what they're doing (no offense to anyone who drives a daewoo. pleas don't torture your little one cylinder engines to mow my lawn and bump into me)
I was advise by my friends to always take a new guitar to a luthier for proper tuning and adjustments. If that makes sense. I did check the strings and they do hit between all of the standard tuning.
Quote by vang0341
I was advise by my friends to always take a new guitar to a luthier for proper tuning and adjustments. If that makes sense. I did check the strings and they do hit between all of the standard tuning.

From this is think that your friends actually meant for you to get if set up. Still, a hundred bucks is a little much for a set up imo.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
I hope you mean setup. But yeah... $100 is a quite expensive for a setup. I know a top quality store with luthiers who fix vintage acoustic guitars on the regular and even they only charge about $60-$75 for a setup.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
yea it sounds lik thye wanted you to get a setup. usually they should go for lik 30-45 bucks for a normal setup. at least thats in my experience
I'm pretty sure your friends meant getting a setup. Tunings are generally done yourself, anyone can tune with a tuner. $100 is pretty steep for a set up, you could probably buy a crappy guitar with $100.
What is done in a set up depends upon what is needed; it can be neck/trussrod adjustment, fret level/crown/polish, shaving the saddle, deepening nut slots. Obviously, the more thats needed, the more it will cost, and if you've never had any experience with it, don't attempt it yourself.

A good luthier will tell you what it needs. The biggest trouble here is that good luthiers are harder to find than good advice, but suffice to say that you WON'T find either at Guitar Center!