Ok, reading the title, you might be thinking I tuned my new Epiphone AL acoustic guitar too high, but no. The ends of the frets actually have sharp edges. I've bandages on my left hand right now, and I have some fingerless gloves on to hide them so my mum, who got the guitar, doesn't see them and feel bad. Any ideas on how to fix this guys?
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
file them down
Gear:
Fender MIA Strat w/EMG SA's
Fender Super 60
Boss RT-20 Rotary Sim
Ibanez AD-9 Analog Delay
EHX Big Muff

"Doctor Kindly Tell Your Wife
That I'm Alive, Flowers Thrive
Realise, Realise, Realise"
Quote by enemy120
file them down

With what exactly? Sorry, this is my first acoustic guitar and I really don't want to **** up my finish.
Quote by guitar-godfrey

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by tranzilethix
and what do you mean by "sharp edges"

Um...the edges are sharp along the side of the neck.
Quote by guitar-godfrey

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

You really like Epiphone, don't you?

Yeah, if its along the neck like that, then file them down. Shouldn't damage the wood at all, and even if it does..well, your hand is going to be covering it when you play, it wouldn't be noticeable
Quote by The Shroom420
You really like Epiphone, don't you?

Yeah, if its along the neck like that, then file them down. Shouldn't damage the wood at all, and even if it does..well, your hand is going to be covering it when you play, it wouldn't be noticeable

Oh hai David, and yes I do. XD Would a nail file work?
Quote by guitar-godfrey

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

A nail file might not be good enough to file frets. Sharp frets can be an indication of one or two things:
1. Bad quality control
2. An underhumidified guitar where the wood has shrunken.

Is the AL a lower end guitar? I can't find it on google.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
A nail file might not be good enough to file frets. Sharp frets can be an indication of one or two things:
1. Bad quality control

I think so. I didn't see the pricetag. I just got it today, and I'm trying to keep it humidified. (Don't have a real humidifier for it right now.)
Quote by guitar-godfrey

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

Quote by captivate
1. Bad quality control

If he just got it my guess would be its the bad quality control..

Or did you get it second hand?
If not shame on Epiphone, I thought they were goo enough to check their guitars so that they dont cut your fingers off...

Wait what did you mean you didnt see the price tag?
an emory board should do the trick -- just lightly file the sharp edges only until the burrs are gone!!! Don't go on top of the frets or on the sides. You don't want to make rough spots on your frets and you don't want to change the angle on the sides of the frets and have your strings slide off.

And you should tell your mom that you love the guitar so much that you played it until your fingers bled!!

Good luck!!!!!

Edit: and in a pinch, put a wet paper towel in an open plastic freezer bag and leave it in the space under the headstock in your case and close it. That'll work until you get a proper humidifier.
Last edited by milagroso at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by persevvere

Wait what did you mean you didnt see the price tag?

I tried a guitar of the same model at the store. I loved it. =/ I love this one too, of course, I just need gloves or something to file them down with.
Quote by guitar-godfrey

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

The fret could just be sharp. But first check the fret ends to see if they are raised this will make them feel sharp even if they are just raised slightly. I had bought a new jasmine and the frets were not seated properly and I had to pound them back down a bit and that fixed it. If Its just sharp then file it some.
ROCK'N 6 STRINGS GRINDING PICKS INTO POWDER
Quote by BlackandSilver
I tried a guitar of the same model at the store. I loved it. =/ I love this one too, of course, I just need gloves or something to file them down with.

Oh right okay sorry it was 3 in the morning when I posted that and I forgot that your mother bought it for you Good luck with the filing!