I am a bass player by nature, but i have recently acquired a cheap little harmony knock-off electric guitar and i am just wondering if there are just some general cheap things that can be done to any guitar to improve it's sound.
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
not really.

when you cheap out, most of the time you get a cheap sounding sound
that's kind of what i was thinking, but i figured it might be worth a shot to see if anyone has some ideas
It is still my opinion that a lightning rod atop of a church shows a lack of confidence.

Quote by watchingmefall
Love has no boundaries. Except maybe dead people and liking your mom.
A "fix-up" for a guitar is only cheap if you know how to do wiring/set-ups yourself. Generally, I like to give every new instrument a good set-up (new strings, adjust action, adjust truss-rod, intonate). These things may not help it sound better per se, but they'll make the guitar more comfortable for you to play and ultimately make you play better. Also, I like to replace all the wiring, especially if the guitar is old or cheap (or a combination in this case). New pots and switches shouldn't run you over $20 if you get some decent stuff. Also, an extra $5 for some copper shielding tape will do wonders to get rid of any electrical interference and to keep a guitar a bit quieter during excursions into high-gain.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar