I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of riffs. I've been listening to music and learning songs, but still nothing

Any tips?
Just mess around till you come up with something you like. There's no secret technique to writing a riff.
Quote by Zycho
Just mess around till you come up with something you like. There's no secret technique to writing a riff.

Although I agree that they aren't secret, there a infinite techniques for writing music, it's called music theory. Learn your music theory and you should be set.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
Although I agree that they aren't secret, there a infinite techniques for writing music, it's called music theory. Learn your music theory and you should be set.

Even with theory you won't be able to instantly write a metal riff.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
just learn some theory and listen to your favorite bands and learn some techniques they use also something that helped me is I started listening to an insane amount of bands I never heard of and a completely diffrent genre
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Even with theory you won't be able to instantly write a metal riff.

i disagree. alot of times i'll hear something in my head and think "ok thats a minor key with chromatics here and here" and a matter of minutes later i have an awesome riff. sometimes though you just have to let your fingers do the talking
Quote by z4twenny
i disagree. alot of times i'll hear something in my head and think "ok thats a minor key with chromatics here and here" and a matter of minutes later i have an awesome riff. sometimes though you just have to let your fingers do the talking
Sort of agree. I try not to write riffs wholly based off a theoretical idea, but yeah theory helps.

In the end it comes down to noodling. You don't even need to fix riffs up (not like vocal melodies), just noodle and write down the best thing you can find.

What some guys used to do (aka, Kurt Cobaine and alot of common era composers) was they used to hum a simple melody and use that as their riffs. Than you might change some notes to powerchords or add chromatics or tritones or add some chugging (you know, metal conventions and such).
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by The_Sophist

Music theory is a field of study. It's not really a "writing technique". If anything it's an "analytical" technique. It allows us to analyze what other composers have already done.

Understanding theory though, will give you tools with which to better understand the writing techniques of those composers whose works you analyze. This certainly can be beneficial to ones own development as a writer/composer.

Quote by Endless_Pain
I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of riffs. I've been listening to music and learning songs, but still nothing

Any tips?

simple:

don't try so hard. Let yourself write, and let yourself enjoy the experience. Don't force it and don't be overly judgmental.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Dec 25, 2008,