I'm assuming that Dave pretty much uses his custom Livewire pickups exclusively nowadays, but does anyone know what he used before this? I read that he used a Duncan JB/59 setup. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm getting back into playing after about 16 years off. Megadeth always has and probably always will be my favorite group. I REALLY dig the punchy sound that Rust In Peace had and I'm trying to find a guitar that will help me reproduce that. Right now I've got a budget oriented Jackson JS series but I'm ready to upgrade and have my eye on a Schecter. The C-1 Blackjack to be exact. It's got the JB/59 configuration in it and if this is indeed what Dave used to use, then it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.
His sig models usually had the JB/Jazz combo.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Dave used Duncans. What model, I don't know.

If you really want the Megadeth sound, you should invest in a Rocktron Prophesy and a Marshall power amp.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Rick540
I'm assuming that Dave pretty much uses his custom Livewire pickups exclusively nowadays, but does anyone know what he used before this? I read that he used a Duncan JB/59 setup. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm getting back into playing after about 16 years off. Megadeth always has and probably always will be my favorite group. I REALLY dig the punchy sound that Rust In Peace had and I'm trying to find a guitar that will help me reproduce that. Right now I've got a budget oriented Jackson JS series but I'm ready to upgrade and have my eye on a Schecter. The C-1 Blackjack to be exact. It's got the JB/59 configuration in it and if this is indeed what Dave used to use, then it would be perfect.

Thanks in advance.

A Schecter wont get the tone, its mahogany. Upgrade to a Pro Series Jackson, like an RR3, that will work

What kinda amp do you have.
Quote by FRDesign
A Schecter wont get the tone, its mahogany. Upgrade to a Pro Series Jackson, like an RR3, that will work

As far as a "real" amp goes, I have a small Crate FW15 practice amp. But I don't really use it. I play through my PC with Amplitube, an M-Audio 2496 card, and some 120 Watt Fostex monitors. I've got the early Megadeth tone dialed in pretty good with Amplitube, but I think this crappy guitar is what's holding me back. I know this guitar I have now is the cheapest one Jackson makes, but I'm not impressed with the quality of it. I put a Graphtech nut on it and that really helped it to stay in tune, but I don't think I want another Jackson at this point. The Schecters have gotten good reviews everyewhere I look, so that's what's pushing me towards a Schecter. Plus, I don't want a V shaped guitar or one with a tremolo and the choices for non-V with Jacksons with string through is kind of limited from what I've seen.
Last edited by Rick540 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by Ghold125
Jackson rr3 or used rr5

Not all that crazy about V's.
Quote by FRDesign

Contrary to popular belief, the wood plays only a small part in the actual tone of your guitar.
The pickups, amp, and your fingers make more tone than the wood.

Go with the Schecter if I were you, they are very solid guitars and a great value for the money.
And the JB/59 combo will be a little different than the JB/Jazz but only at the neck of course.
The JB will still give you that punchy sound you are searching for.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Thanks for all the info. I listened to the 59 versus the Jazz pickup on the SD site and the Jazz does have a warmer more rounded out tone than the 59, but it'll probably be quite awhile before I'm throwing down some Megadeth solo's with the neck pickup. By then I'll probably be ready for another axe anyway.

Thanks again.
Quote by Rick540
Not all that crazy about V's.

Jackson DK2M then?

EDIT (to FR): the normal DK2 is HSS, and the WRMG has EMGs (I think).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Dec 24, 2008,