Poll: Which Distotion Pedal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Distotion Pedal?
Boss DS-1
7 18%
Metal Muff
18 47%
Other, specifiy
13 34%
Voters: 38.
Alright, so I have $150 to spend, and I'm looking at getting a distortion pedal for my Valveking. I've been looking at the Boss DS-1, and the EHX Metal Muff. In your opinion, which one should I get?

Edit: **** me, wrong forum... oh well.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Last edited by msuspartan at Dec 24, 2008,
I have the BOSS-DS1 hooked up to my crappy little practice amp right now, and it makes it sound so much better. I'd go with the DS1.
Quote by msuspartan
Alright, so I have $150 to spend, and I'm looking at getting a distortion pedal for my Valveking. I've been looking at the Boss DS-1, and the EHX Metal Muff. In your opinion, which one should I get?

i'd go with neither, look into an od instead.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
i'd go with neither, look into an od instead.

I already have one, SD-1
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
buy an OD pedal if you on budget get a digitech bad monkey if not TS9 tubescreamer
i myself have a Peavey Valveking
i have the 100 Head with a marshall cab
this thing gets enough gain as it is and i see no reason to get anymore out of it!!!
if your playing metal then yeah the muff (personally dont care for it)
i have a ds-1 and its not my thing either
its way to chainsawy type of distortion
if thats what your looking for get it
but the valveking unassisted gets a load of gain and it works for me
what is it you're trying to achieve that a distortion pedal is needed ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by Tfritz754
i myself have a Peavey Valveking
i have the 100 Head with a marshall cab
this thing gets enough gain as it is and i see no reason to get anymore out of it!!!
if your playing metal then yeah the muff (personally dont care for it)
i have a ds-1 and its not my thing either
its way to chainsawy type of distortion
if thats what your looking for get it
but the valveking unassisted gets a load of gain and it works for me

I'm getting mine for Christmas tomorrow, but I played my friend's Les Paul Standard through a DS-1, and I loved it. But I'll wait and see. My parents got me a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with Floyd Rose, which I'm returning for the hardtail, and I'm using the extra $150 to buy a pedal or two.

Edit: I'm trying to get a Bodom, Meshuggah, or Emmure sound.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Ibanez TS808.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by msuspartan
I'm getting mine for Christmas tomorrow, but I played my friend's Les Paul Standard through a DS-1, and I loved it. But I'll wait and see. My parents got me a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with Floyd Rose, which I'm returning for the hardtail, and I'm using the extra $150 to buy a pedal or two.

Edit: I'm trying to get a Bodom, Meshuggah, or Emmure sound.

Meshuggah .

Then i can help you.
But something pretty obvious about their tone is most of it comes from the low pitch of their guitars.

For Meshuggah sound you should get either a Metal Muff if you want more than just their sound.

But if you want just meshuggahs tone i have to say a Line 6 Metal Distortion pedal, as they use Line 6 Amplifiers.
The MXR Distortion III is cool. I tried it at GC today. Not enough distortion for metal, but seems nice for general rock.
U-G Profile

Gear:
Seagull S Series Acoustic
Ibanez RG2EX1
DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
DigiTech Hardwire Series TL-2 Metal Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
1980 Fender Vibro Champ (Weber Speaker, 6L6)
1. A good overdrive. The right EQ settings can pull metal sounds from an OD pedal, and it can do lighter stuff too.
2. A regular Big Muff. If you really want distortion, there aren't many personally I'd take over a Big Muff Pi.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
my girlfriends little brother has a boss metal zone he swears by it for heavy metal like bodom and stuff but don't turn everything to 10 if u do it sounds like noise but ull never be lacking metal distortion. or get an mxr dime distortion. and mxrs r invincible and very analog sounding which usually means good.
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by JessyB96
my girlfriends little brother has a boss metal zone he swears by it for heavy metal like bodom and stuff but don't turn everything to 10 if u do it sounds like noise but ull never be lacking metal distortion. or get an mxr dime distortion. and mxrs r invincible and very analog sounding which usually means good.

And in all honesty that's pretty much the target market for that pedal - it's really not very good.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by JessyB96
my girlfriends little brother has a boss metal zone he swears by it for heavy metal like bodom and stuff but don't turn it on if u do it sounds like noise but ull never be lacking scooped, sterile, fizzy, box of bees tone that is pretty much unusable for any application outside of rocking out in your bedroom

Fixed.
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by necrosis1193
1. A good overdrive. The right EQ settings can pull metal sounds from an OD pedal, and it can do lighter stuff too.
2. A regular Big Muff. If you really want distortion, there aren't many personally I'd take over a Big Muff Pi.

Plus one on the first suggestion, ive always tought that, with a DS you can get only balls to the walls if your using it with the gain channell, but an OD is more 3-D more flexible, not as straight forward but it can get the job done and alot more.
get the metal muff but the one with top boost
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Marshall Jackhammer JH-1 is one of the best pedals i think ive ever played on, crazy distortion and OD

but otherwise the BOSS.