I am looking for a practice / small jam amplifier. I play Blues and Classic Rock, anything from John Lee Hooker to Stevie Ray to Guns n Roses and ACDC. Metal occasionally but that is not important. I would like a headphone jack with audio quality that doesn't suck, decent portability, good recording flexibility, preferably an amp that doesn't say "MG" on it, with a budget of 200-300 dollars.

I play both a Stratocaster and a Les Paul, both with vintage style pickups (CS69's in my Strat and 'SD 59' style PAFs in my Paul) and am looking for an amp that does these justice at low volumes.

I own a Blues Junior, which I use when people are not around (not often). Generally I crank that tube, I dislike the tone it gets with preamp distoriton and low volume (very, very muddy and gross sounding). inb4 overdrive, been there, use a TS9 and a BD2 to boost occasionally but in terms of beefing up tone at low volumes, it doesn't cut it. Also the BJ doesn't have a headphone jack.

I own a Microcube as well.. and anyone who owns one and has used headphones with it knows what has got me bugged. When recording, you cannot tell a difference between my Les Paul and my Strat with this amp. Its good for portability but thats about it.

I've got a few in mind but I would like your opinions, experiences and suggestions as always.

Vox VT30
Vox AD30VT (Anyone know what the difference is between VT30 and AD30VT?)
Roland Cube 30

Thanks for all advice =)
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by Highwaytohell
weber attenuator for the Blues Jr

/thread

No... Attenuators are disguised tone suckers. Not to mention that is out of my price range in the first place...

vvv ^^^ EDIT: How about you guys focus on what I'm asking you instead of giving me suggestions on matters that I've already considered and decided against?
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Dec 24, 2008,
Well there are so few amps with headphone jacks having simultanously good tone...
you want to record direct through the amp :/ not gonna get you good tone any way you go man, sorry, it usually almost always sounds better to mic the amp (unless you are using a vetta)
maybe some guitar software for the computer?
The VT30 is the newer version of the AD30VT, and it has more features such as 22 amp models vs. The AD's 12, as well as 12 tone presets vs. the AD's 3 or so.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^^^ Thank you ^^ Sounds cool.

Quote by Highwaytohell
Well there are so few amps with headphone jacks having simultanously good tone...
you want to record direct through the amp :/ not gonna get you good tone any way you go man, sorry, it usually almost always sounds better to mic the amp (unless you are using a vetta)
maybe some guitar software for the computer?

I don't want to record straight into my computer. I want to use my headphone jack for... headphones... To clarify, I will mic this amp to record.
-Jim Morrison
So you basically want a very good headphone amp... Don't know why you don't want an attenuator ( I guess there are 2 camps, people who think they sound fine, and people who think they suck)

-I always thought the cube had good headphone tone- Maybe go for a boss Micro Br- I've got one and it actually sounds surprisingly good for the sounds you get out of it.
Quote by Highwaytohell
So you basically want a very good headphone amp... Don't know why you don't want an attenuator ( I guess there are 2 camps, people who think they sound fine, and people who think they suck)

-I always thought the cube had good headphone tone- Maybe go for a boss Micro Br- I've got one and it actually sounds surprisingly good for the sounds you get out of it.

In my opinion, using an attenuator on a tube amp defeats the purpose of a tube amp. I have no problem with my tube, for what it does. It sounds great when it's cranked. Leave my junior out of this

The Microcube... well I've had this thing for two and a half years, playing it basically every day. You can understand how the Classic and JC Clean settings that I use get old after using it for this long. It would be nice to have something more.
-Jim Morrison
bamp bamp bamp. Halp.
-Jim Morrison