I have just pimped my Jazz Bass cosmetically and here's how it looks now. Now I want to upgrade it's sound.

I'm thinking about getting Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass Pickups . Now, I'm satisfied with the stock pickups that are in my jazz bass which are the same ones in the Mexican Standard but my mom says she'll buy me the custom shop pickups if I want them. My question is, is it worth it getting these pickups? Will it be that much of an improvement. Keep in mind that these are the ones that Fender uses in the Custom Shop Jazz Reissue. So, should I get these pickups or should I pass? I love the growl I get out of the stock pickups, but if these pickups are significantly better then I might as well get them.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Dec 25, 2008,
From what I understand they're the same pickups on the Jaco and Geddy sigs as well (I know for a fact they use the same pickups). If you want to trick out your MIM Jazz, which you clearly do, why not trick it out with something that'll actually improve the tone? Y'know, what matters?

That said, personally I'd go for SCNs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
From what I understand they're the same pickups on the Jaco and Geddy sigs as well (I know for a fact they use the same pickups). If you want to trick out your MIM Jazz, which you clearly do, why not trick it out with something that'll actually improve the tone? Y'know, what matters?

That said, personally I'd go for SCNs.

(Wow, thefitz actually posted in one of my threads!) Btw, Fitz you have a nice American Deluxe Fender. Your Fender's finish is gorgeous!. What's your opinion of the SCN's in comparison the Mexican Standard pickups and the Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass pickups? Tonally, how are the SCN"s?
Squier VM TB Bass
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
I see the thefitz has signed off. Anybody else, what's the difference between the noiseless jazz pickups(SCN's) and the the Custom Shop 60's Jazz Bass Pickups?
Squier VM TB Bass
My biggest tip for upgrading pickups is making sure you need them. What do you dislike about your pickups? If there is something you do not like about the pickups, find a model that fixes your issue.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
My biggest tip for upgrading pickups is making sure you need them. What do you dislike about your pickups? If there is something you do not like about the pickups, find a model that fixes your issue.
Well there's nothing I don't like about my pickups. They give me what tone I want. Well since I can get the Custom Shop Pickups I'm thinking, since Fender uses those pickups on their custom shop jazzes, that these pickups will sound like the ones I already have;but better because they are custom shop pickups. What I'm asking is it worth it to upgrade from the pickups in the MIM standards to the Custom Shop ones?
Squier VM TB Bass
Quote by FenderAmpeg93
Well there's nothing I don't like about my pickups. They give me what tone I want. Well since I can get the Custom Shop Pickups I'm thinking, since Fender uses those pickups on their custom shop jazzes, that these pickups will sound like the ones I already have;but better because they are custom shop pickups. What I'm asking is it worth it to upgrade from the pickups in the MIM standards to the Custom Shop ones?

If there is no issue, why upgrade? If you are so hot onto upgrading your pickups, find a reason to do so. Do you dislike the hum? Do you feel the pickup accentuates the mids too much? Too bassy? Find a pickup that fixes a problem you have, and you will be happier with it. Personally, I like Fitzy's idea of the SCN. Everyone hates hum, it will solve something atleast.

Believe me when I speak of this, from eperiance I find that upgrading a pickup just because you can is very unsatisfiying. I have pickups laying around my house that I bought for my guitars that are serving no purpose because I found that the pickups I currently have suit my needs already.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
fender doesn't use THOSE pickups in their custom shop basses, usually, they just call them custom shop pickups. My suggestion: Duncans.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
+1 to fitzy.

if you like warmth, also look at Bartolini, they make some good pickups.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I'd vote for Seymour Duncan quarter pounders. I love that sound.
Quote by max355
Hating the 49rs is like hating the retarded kid in class.

The Cowboys, weed, and bass. My three loves
Quote by ZachisSuperCool
I'd vote for Seymour Duncan quarter pounders. I love that sound.

you got the forum right.

welcome to the jazz bass thread.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well after reading you guys' responses I think I'll just upgrade to SCN's. That way I'll have the same tone, but without the hum.
Squier VM TB Bass
I use the Custom 60's pups in my Jazz... in my opinion they're much articulated than the Mexcian stock stuff. Also and warm and when pushed can give a nice growl. Gets my vote.
Quote by the humanity
you got the forum right.

welcome to the jazz bass thread.

SD makes a quarter-pounder for Jazz as well
The thing about the 60's pickups is, while beautiful sounding (and they really are), they're quite low-output. "Delicate" is how I like to put it. And the hum is quite there, but not harsh.

SCNs are a great traditional Jazz tone that's dead silent and crystal clear. They're like studio treated full-range Jazz pickups, which still being unmistakably Fender.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I don't like the SCN's, myself, they sound a little sterile to me. If you want warmth, the Duncan SJB-1's are going to be a good choice. They're better repros of the 60's Jazz sound than the Fender pups are. The Antiquities get it even closer, though. If you're TRULY serious about gettin' that jazz to sound like a 60's jazz, $200 on a set of antiquities will get you damn close.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
i put a BAII bridge on my bass and a set of Custom Shop 60's pups, and i enjoy the tone a lot more.

I seem to get more growl when i push them, and more warmth when i want to be warm.

+1 on the Custom Shop 60's.