Page 1 of 2
Ok, so you might go "duh" at the title, but it's true. I have an Ibanez with an Edge Pro in it. Strings are stretched, nut's locked, bridge is locked. Stays in under normal use, but goes out if I dive bomb. Now here's the weird thing: When I pull UP on the bar the strings go sharp and when I push DOWN on the bar the strings go flat... Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong??? TIA!
Um...
Pushing down gives the strings slack. Flat.
Pulling up gives the strings tension. Sharp.
Quote by TatarSalad2
Um...

Look at your nut when you dive/pull up. Sometimes the nut slides a bit under the extra tension or lack thereof. This happens a tiny bit on my ibanez. If you look in the tech section of www.ibanezrules.com the guy mentions it and has answers to how to solve it.

EDIT: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning_stability.htm

HAve a read down that list, hope it helps.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Dec 25, 2008,
im gonna take a wild guess and say that your locked nuts arent the best and that they arent locking completely. maybe the quality isnt the best either. its just an idea...
Quote by TatarSalad2
Um...

OH! *smacks head* Duh....................

Mmm... the nut's locked pretty solid and it's not sliding. Any other ideas?

Thanks for those suggestions, though.
You're guitar hates you, simple.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Saminator
Mmm... the nut's locked pretty solid and it's not sliding. Any other ideas?

Thanks for those suggestions, though.

Is it set up correctly? Are the strings completely stretched? Are you sure they are in tightly at the bridge?

Edit: Take it to a tech for a look over.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
The bridge is level with the body and the action is nice and low. The ONLY thing I could think of is this: I have the high E side lower than the low E side, so the smaller strings are closer. Would this affect it???
Quote by Saminator
The bridge is level with the body and the action is nice and low. The ONLY thing I could think of is this: I have the high E side lower than the low E side, so the smaller strings are closer. Would this affect it???

I don't quite understand what you mean. Sorry.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
Quote by tarlkea
I don't quite understand what you mean. Sorry.

From the knife edges to the fine tuners, the bridge is parallel with the body. But the string height of the higher strings is closer to the body than the lowers strings. Does that make a little more sense?
Or you can get some awesome locking tuners? That helped my cousin that had a similar problem.
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Line6
Or you can get some awesome locking tuners? That helped my cousin that had a similar problem.

He has a locking nut though, I don't think it'd help much tbh.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
He has a locking nut though, I don't think it'd help much tbh.

If the nut loosens as this would suppose, then it doesn't matters if he has a quad locking nut lol...

Quote by Line6
If the nut loosens as this would suppose, then it doesn't matters if he has a quad locking nut lol...

I guess so.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Line6

Yeah, but remember, the strings are sharp when I pull up. If it was the nut, they'd come back flat.
I didnt read all the posts... but Your knife edges that pivot at the posts could be dull, allowing it to become stuck in certain positions slightly different from the normal resting spot. This would leave it a little bit out of tune after doing a dive bomb. Anyways im suspecting the "knife edges" are dull. If thats the case you might have to get a new tremolo cause im not sure that you can sharped the edges up.

Edit: Read the posts, I think horlicks right.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by Ethanb08
I didnt read all the posts... but Your knife edges that pivot at the posts could be dull, allowing it to become stuck in certain positions slightly different from the normal resting spot. This would leave it a little bit out of tune after doing a dive bomb. Anyways im suspecting the "knife edges" are dull. If thats the case you might have to get a new tremolo cause im not sure that you can sharped the edges up.

Edit: Read the posts, I think horlicks right.

Ok, I ain't saying you're wrong, but the guitar's brand new. Would the knife edges get dulled that soon?
Quote by Saminator
Ok, I ain't saying you're wrong, but the guitar's brand new. Would the knife edges get dulled that soon?

Not a chance, go to a guitar thech. And hope they don't charge a ridiculous amount of money just by looking at the guitar.

Well if you got the guitar instore and other people have fooled around with the whammy bar... maybe... probably depends on how often you use the whammy bar, the quality of the material used in the blade edges (if its not hardend steel i imagine it would wear relativley fast.), it could of been faulty from the factory. Best way to know for sure is just take a look at the knife edges see how they look. If they arent worn, then i would say its the nut and its not tightened to the neck enough ... if theres 2 bolts on the back of the neck where the nut is tighten them, or tighten the screw under the clamps if theres no bolts behind. Anything is possible lol... EVH has his whammy bars replaced between each gig... or so i have read... and he has original FR in his wolfgangs.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Dude i have the exact same problem. its an RG1570 right? same thing happened to me.hell i even made a thread or 2 if i remember correctly.

remove the strings from the bridge.
then remove the bridge and apply a little bit of chapstick on the knife edges.
put everything back together and due what you would normally due(stretch strings etc.)

make sure you bridge is parallel and tune your guitar and lock it down while in your playing position. that means don't do it on a flat surface do it with your guitar position as if you were playing it. the reason is because it's a full floating bridge, aside from the string spring balance, it is also susceptible to gravity.

if that doesn't work there's also a tremsetter you can install but i would leave that as a very last resort.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Dude i have the exact same problem. its an RG1570 right? same thing happened to me.hell i even made a thread or 2 if i remember correctly.

remove the strings from the bridge.
then remove the bridge and apply a little bit of chapstick on the knife edges.
put everything back together and due what you would normally due(stretch strings etc.)

make sure you bridge is parallel and tune your guitar and lock it down while in your playing position. that means don't do it on a flat surface do it with your guitar position as if you were playing it. the reason is because it's a full floating bridge, aside from the string spring balance, it is also susceptible to gravity.

if that doesn't work there's also a tremsetter you can install but i would leave that as a very last resort.

It's actually a JS1200 (Satriani signature), but still the same bridge. Maybe I'll try looking at the knife edges, but I'll probably take it into a shop.

For the record, I ordered mine from MF and haven't used the whammy much because of the reason I told you guys.
Quote by Saminator
It's actually a JS1200 (Satriani signature), but still the same bridge. Maybe I'll try looking at the knife edges, but I'll probably take it into a shop.

For the record, I ordered mine from MF and haven't used the whammy much because of the reason I told you guys.

yeah i got mine off the interwebz too. but try doing everything you can to fix the problem yourself. when i sent mine to the shop to get a tremsetter installed they did a poor job setting up the guitar so i had to mess with it before i got tuning stability.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Thanks for y'alls help so far, everyone. I've taken the tremolo out and the first thing that struck me were the knife edges. One of them looks like it has heavy wearing. I've posted some pics of it. What do you think???

Is this normal?
Quote by Saminator
When I pull UP on the bar the strings go sharp and when I push DOWN on the bar the strings go flat... Can somebody tell me where I'm going wrong??? TIA!

ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Saminator
Um...?

I missed the quote out, I edited, I understand the problem now, the first post made me chuckle though.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
I missed the quote out, I edited, I understand the problem now, the first post made me chuckle though.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the strings CAME BACK flat or sharp...
Quote by Saminator
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention the strings CAME BACK flat or sharp...

Yeah I realised after I posted, it's the same with mine but I don't have any locking mechs.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
don't worry the knife edge on the right side should be recessed a bit. try to applying a bit of chapstick right on the edge of the knife. right where it would come in contact with the stud. then put everything back together. make sure the knife edge is parallel to the body on both sides.

here are 2 old threads that i made, both regarding the Edge Pro. maybe they can be of some assistence
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951215
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893242&page=1&pp=20
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
don't worry the knife edge on the right side should be recessed a bit. try to applying a bit of chapstick right on the edge of the knife. right where it would come in contact with the stud. then put everything back together. make sure the knife edge is parallel to the body on both sides.

here are 2 old threads that i made, both regarding the Edge Pro. maybe they can be of some assistence
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951215
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893242&page=1&pp=20

+1.
If you still need help Google Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules website. Very useful.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Line6

Which poses the question... Would a guitar with a FR need a locking nut if it had locking tuners??? Curiosity killed the internet.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Saminator
Thanks for y'alls help so far, everyone. I've taken the tremolo out and the first thing that struck me were the knife edges. One of them looks like it has heavy wearing. I've posted some pics of it. What do you think???

*snip

Is this normal?

Those knife edges look fine, the one on the right it built curved so that the trem stays in place. If it was straight the trem would slide left and right when you use it.

Anyway your problem is most likely your strings aren't as stretched as you think they are, or the trem isn't perfectly level. Also some chapstick on the studs can work wonders as previously suggested.
Hmm, well... the chapstick seems to have worked... I'm gonna keep playing with it tomorrow (just put new strings on). I have used ibanezrules. com quite a lot and it's VERY helpful. I'll update you guys tomorrow.

SomebodySomeone: Did you ever get your RG to work properly?
actually as soon as i got the tremsetter installed, i broke my whammy bar so i haven't tested it against major divebombs and pullups. but i have done wide string bends and it stays perfectly in tune, which it didn't before. which leads me to believe i can probably go crazy and it should stay in tune.

just remember, pull and stretch the strings until it no longer goes out of tune when tuning your guitar, then lock the nut. also very important. do all of this while in playing position. don't do it on a flat surface, because due to the fact that it's a full floating trem with a delicate string spring balance, gravity WILL affect you tuning.

for example pluck a low E string while playing normally. while the note is ringin out, flip your guitar upside down. you will notice a slight drop in pitch. just keep that in mind.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by SomebodySomeone
actually as soon as i got the tremsetter installed, i broke my whammy bar so i haven't tested it against major divebombs and pullups.

Oh man, major suckage right there.

But anyway, I know all about the bending till it stays in tune then lock the nut and all that stuff. Thanks though!
Quote by Saminator
Oh man, major suckage right there.

But anyway, I know all about the bending till it stays in tune then lock the nut and all that stuff. Thanks though!

yup. let me know how it goes
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Well, it seems to working great now. Thanks for all your help guys and sorry for the noobish-ness... I even went through the trouble of ordering a replacement bridge... Haha, I guess I'll just tell em the deal.

Well, thanks again!
Page 1 of 2