Page 1 of 3
So I was talking to one of my co-workers and bored as we were, the conversation floated from topic to topic.

So of course we get to music, like most civilized people do, and I ask her what her favorite music is.

And she says, and I quote, "oh god, I hate music."

I hesitated for a second, and then I was like "what?"

"Yeah, I don't like music at all. It's kind of pointless really."

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but seriously, someone just flat out not liking music?
I thought she was messing with me or something, but I mentioned it to another co worker of mine and he confirmed that she hated music and said that his aunt hates music as well.

I've NEVER met anyone that didn't like music.
It's such a huge part of our culture.
Music inspires books, narrates our films, and is even played in the background of every fricken commercial for christs sake.

Call me an idiot, but I honestly didn't think it was possible to hate music.
Certain kinds of music, yeah, but music as a whole? No way.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
She is obviously mentally ill in some manner. There is no one, and I mean NO ONE, on the planet earth, who doesn't like music. I guarantee you that if you took all music out of the life of someone who says they hate it, they would practically go INSANE.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That person is a blemish on the face of humanity.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
I don't see what's the big deal. Does everyone like poetry? Does everyone like literature? I don't even care about painting and visual art. What's so special about music?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
what the **** is music?
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Meh, music is for city slickers, but rodeos! Yeehaaw don't get me started.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by Xiaoxi
I don't see what's the big deal. Does everyone like poetry? Does everyone like literature? I don't even care about painting and visual art. What's so special about music?

This
Quote by Yakult
If I get a boner I generally pass out due to the massive amount of blood having to be redirected from my brain

Quote by DubStar92
I like to video record myself when I'm drunk. It's like a mini-movie. I love fapping to the sex scene.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I dunno. It just seems that no matter where you go, there is music.
It's as natural as breathing.

I've just always been under the impression that everyone likes at least some kind of music.

/culture shock
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Quote by FFTLxx
Meh, music is for city slickers, but rodeos! Yeehaaw don't get me started.

ROFL??

that made me lol so hard

on topic: music is my life
Quote by x_thurston_x
I dunno. It just seems that no matter where you go, there is music.
It's as natural as breathing.

I've just always been under the impression that everyone likes at least some kind of music.

/culture shock

And no matter where you go there's other forms of art as well, which can arguably be just as natural. For plenty of people, music is not a serious enjoyment but rather just something to have in the background or even not at all. I don't see any problem in it.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
That's pretty crazy. I was talking to this one kid one year, and he said he doesn't really listen to music. I was like what?!? But now he listens to stuff like the Misfits, but I think he's trying to fit in or find somethin.. I dunno.
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Drmmrboi180
what the **** is music?

i think its when polar bears form pictures of letter man jackets
i would probably go insane then shoot up my school and eventually hang my self Judas style.
Quote by Xiaoxi
And no matter where you go there's other forms of art as well, which can arguably be just as natural. For plenty of people, music is not a serious enjoyment but rather just something to have in the background or even not at all. I don't see any problem in it.

Didn't say there was a problem.

Just saying that I've never met anyone that actually hated music.

Not caring too much for it, yeah. But hating music? Like I said, seems strange to me.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

-- Arthur Honegger

I know somebody who genuinely doesn't like music.

She doesn't hate it or anything
She just doesn't listen to music or suggest anything about it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by x_thurston_x
Didn't say there was a problem.

Just saying that I've never met anyone that actually hated music.

Not caring too much for it, yeah. But hating music? Like I said, seems strange to me.
Maybe she's just never heard anything she liked and hasn't bothered to find something she does like. I don't give a crap about poetry and I loathe reading it. I know that if I took the time and effort to really study it, I'd be able to appreciate it, but I just don't have enough interest to begin with to want to care. And actually, I took art history this semester and now I'm able to really analyze paintings, yet I still don't give a crap about painting and visual art. The masterpieces of Van Gohg and Manet doesn't do anything for me.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by vannaXcurses
i think its when polar bears form pictures of letter man jackets

......the **** is a polar bear?
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
You're absolutely not alone, I had a similar experience about a year or two ago.

It was after dinner with a couple friends of mine, and afterwards I was talking to this one girl I knew fairly well (or at least thought I did, until then) and we happened upon the topic of music. I must of been asking her what she liked listening to the most, to which she responded

"Oh, nothing really."

I was just kind of taken aback, and she could see I was confused.

"I just don't really like music."

After which I just had to say, "Well, I mean, you have to like something. I mean, it's just so broad."

"No, not really. It seems pointless to me." And so on and so forth, basically just what you were talking about in your post. I was just completely blown away, I didn't even know what to say at all. I had never before met someone who just didn't like music, at all. That sad thing was, I couldn't help but have trouble ever talking to her again after that, and honestly (as bad as it sounds) thinking less of her.

Honestly, I can't even imagine what that would be like. That would be like trying to imagine being born blind or deaf. I just can't do it. I can't think of a single moment where I'm not either playing music, thinking about it, listening to it, any combination thereof, or at least have something playing in my mind.

Tl;dr - You're not alone, I had a very similar experience.
Quote by Delanoir
That sad thing was, I couldn't help but have trouble ever talking to her again after that, and honestly (as bad as it sounds) thinking less of her.

I find that to be extremely selfish. Just remember that not everyone is you and vice versa.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Mike 'em all
ROFL??

that made me lol so hard

on topic: music is my life

most people who say music is my life listen to really ****ty music and don't jack **** about music theory.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
To quote Oscar Wilde, "All art is essentially useless".

Some people just aren't interested in ****. They seem odd to pit monkeys since we're all here solely because of music and our interest in it.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
Quote by Xiaoxi
I find that to be extremely selfish. Just remember that not everyone is you and vice versa.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't intentional at all. I actually felt really guilty for thinking that way, but I had trouble helping it. And honestly, I doubt I'd feel that way for anything other than music.

EDIT: I of course mean that last statement within reason of "anything".
Last edited by Delanoir at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by amason51
i would probably go insane then shoot up my school and eventually hang my self Judas style.

Judas didn't hang himself, he threw himself off a cliff.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
That's Bullsh*t! I can understand MAYBE not "appreciating" music, but to hate it...or any artform for that matter,I maen,I'm no fan of modern art, but I at least don't HATE it. To hate any artform is inhuman, you should kill her, she is a demon. Oh, and that whole"You're a bad person for thinking less of her..." thing...That is also bullsh*t, you can TOTALLY think less of her, she is unintelligent,unenlightened, and a bad person for HATING art, that is like hating love, or hating expression...it is just wrong. I can't even believe that...I'm pissed off now.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Quote by fret-less
That's Bullsh*t! I can understand MAYBE not "appreciating" music, but to hate it...or any artform for that matter,I maen,I'm no fan of modern art, but I at least don't HATE it. To hate any artform is inhuman, you should kill her, she is a demon. Oh, and that whole"You're a bad person for thinking less of her..." thing...That is also bullsh*t, you can TOTALLY think less of her, she is unintelligent,unenlightened, and a bad person for HATING art, that is like hating love, or hating expression...it is just wrong. I can't even believe that...I'm pissed off now.

Maybe your just upset you don't have frets?

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
Maybe your just upset you don't have frets?

EEEHHHHH?????? :
Are You Shpongled..?
I'm amazed. I've never known people not to like music. I know people that aren't fussed and are basically indifferent, but never known anybody to actually not like it.
THat really doesn't make sense to me. Music is probably the most popular thing in the world, as far as entertainment goes. Weird.
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
Up until around 3 or 4 years ago (so, I was around 13/14), I never liked any music at all.

3 years ago I started listening to more then one band (for the year before, all I listened to was starsailor).

Now I have a shitload of music.

It's not unusual to not like, or hate, music.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Jackintehbox
Maybe she listened to something really awful as a child and now she has a phobia of it.

Impossible, the Jonas Brothers didn't exist back then.
Quote by drunkinkoala
C. A whore

D. Bene Gesserit
------------------
Page 1 of 3