Hey,

I bought an Ibanez rg321mh (supposedly made of mahogany) a while ago and one of the first things i noticed was that it was really light (other people have been saying they were surprised by the weight). I thought mahogany is meant to be quite heavy?

So i opened up the lid covering the circuits on the back of th guitar and i saw that from where the holes were drilled for the wires to pass through, the wood was very bright, Like Maple. I thought mahogany is a dark colored wood?

Does this mean it's a fake coz on the official ibanez website it says that there have been lots a fake ibanezs going round.

I bought it at a well known music shop so i don't think it's the shops fault. The guitar is made in Indonesia and it came with this light blue "inspection card"

Thanks - hope you can enlighten me on this problem
I don't think it's fake. Cheap guitars rarely get replicated.

Here it says, "It's so light, but don't let that intimidate you"

Oh yeah, you can also get various different kinds of mahogany.

WikiPedia:
"The name mahogany is used when referring to numerous varieties of dark-colored wood"
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
well for one, i doubt anyone would want to make a fake RG321. it's a very well built guitar for the price but not much of value here. they probably didn't do a good job with the wood stainer would be my guess.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Yeah, certainly not something that'd be faked. So I'll have to assume it's not a copy. I seriously doubt anyone makes fakes of a $300 guitars.
yeah, but I thought the point in faking guitars is to save money on the wood. So it wouldn't matter how cheap the guitar is, you'll still be saving money because your using a cheaper wood.

If i put myself in the mind of a cheapskate guitar manufacturer, i'd think "why waste the higher quality and more expensive wood on a $300 guitar? After all, i'm using the same wood for the higher end models."

Anyway, thanks for the info, i'm feeling a lot better now that other people don't think my guitar is fake as there are different types of mahogany. i didnt know that

o yeah i also forgot, when the pickup selecter is pointing/leaning towards the bridge does that mean i'm using the bridge pickup?
Quote by Aisten
yeah, but I thought the point in faking guitars is to save money on the wood. So it wouldn't matter how cheap the guitar is, you'll still be saving money because your using a cheaper wood.

If i put myself in the mind of a cheapskate guitar manufacturer, i'd think "why waste the higher quality and more expensive wood on a $300 guitar? After all, i'm using the same wood for the higher end models."

Anyway, thanks for the info, i'm feeling a lot better now that other people don't think my guitar is fake as there are different types of mahogany. i didnt know that

o yeah i also forgot, when the pickup selecter is pointing/leaning towards the bridge does that mean i'm using the bridge pickup?

Ibanez probably wanted to use cheaper wood for a cheaper guitar though.

As for the pick up selecter...

If it's points towards the neck, it's the neck p-up. Simple as that.

EG:

It's the bridge p-up in this picture.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Dec 25, 2008,
I think it's the type and style of the guitar that makes it light. Ibanez is most likely using African Mahogany (80% of most mahogany guitars) that is a little bit lighter than Honduran Mahogany (Les Pauls) HM is getting rare and from what I read when Gibson runs out of their stock on hand they won't be able to get it anymore because it's protected now.

All of the counterfit Les Pauls I have seen are solid mahogany (probably African Mahogany) so I doubt counterfitting is to save money on the wood. It's where they are made and the cheaper pick ups, electronics that makes them cheap and the fact the actual company isn't making a huge profit is the big factor in the price. When I first saw a counterfit SG I imediately checked because I thought it would have been plywood but that was solid mahogany as well. All the fakes I have tried are actually nice and built well. The problem is people getting ripped off paying top dollar for these fakes. The guys I know who got them paid an average of $300.00 and one friend got an amazing Gibson aged Zak Wylde counterfit LP with HSC for $450.00. If it wasn't for the price, the pots are not marked Gibson but the EMGs are real if they are not they are good fakes. I would say it was the real deal if the guitar wasn't a 5th of the original price. I was planning on posting pics of it after the holidays. Actually I am trying to get him to sell it to me for what he paid because I love it it plays great and sounds awesome.

John
i think my brother that this RG comes in Basswood, which fits the profile that you discribed, check the specs and make sure its not basswood, otherwise it might be because its a low end guitar so the quality of the wood is not that good
nah all the sites say it's mahogany and even the guy at the store said it was mahogany. What i didn't kno is that u can get different typs of mahogany. Thats probably y its so light. anyway thanks for the info.