Poll Options
View poll results: What should I do?
2 22%
1 11%
3 33%
Other
3 33%
Voters: 9.
I really could do with some advice right now, and so, I thought I'd get some opinions before I do anything.

Simply put, I'm not too happy with my gain.
Please feel free to skip the italics.
As I've said many, many, times, my amps has great cleans - I love them, but that amp's own gain just sucks. And yet, everywhere I go, I hear people say how good it is.
When combined with an OD, the tone is much better, but still not good enough for me. Just too harsh for my liking. And if I add come bass, ends up sounding like a blanket is covering it, sounds very "whooshy" - especially for barre chords.

So, I have around 3 [or 2, see choice 3] choices - which one is a priority?
I could either:
1 - Replace my power tubes, but would this help? And could it be my pre-amp tubes, even though they are about half a year old? Also, any recommendations for a great EL84?
2 - Replace my speaker. I have been intending to do this for a while. I know what speaker I'll get, etc. But IMO, the relatively bad overdriven tone is from the amp
3 - Buy a Vox Satchurator. It's better then my Marshall Jackhammer. And I will have money left over to buy new power tubes (kill two birds with one stone). Would have got a Fuzz Factory, but I'll wait a few months and get it then.

So, any recommendations?
Poll up. Would help keep a tally.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Dec 25, 2008,
After I replaced all the tubes and the speaker in my VC30 it sounded loads better (although the speaker took a little while to break in). The amps gain sounds so much nicer, but it's still not all that much.

I'd say replace the speaker first and get a better dist or OD pedal. Then change the tubes as soon as you can.

PS. I adore my Jackhammer through mine! (OD setting ofc)
Quote by ChrisN
After I replaced all the tubes and the speaker in my VC30 it sounded loads better (although the speaker took a little while to break in). The amps gain sounds so much nicer, but it's still not all that much.

I'd say replace the speaker first and get a better dist or OD pedal. Then change the tubes as soon as you can.

PS. I adore my Jackhammer through mine! (OD setting ofc)

I like the jackhammer for a plexi-ish rhythm. Nice and crunchy.
But it doesn't do lead playing IMO.

Do your power tubes made a lot of improvement over the gain?
I'm wondering if my pre-amps tubes aren't as good as I thought.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Well stock, the amp has gorgeous cleans. The tube change made them even NICER; I was quite shocked. Sort of made them more sparkly and crisp but without losing the "body".
The speaker change just made the whole sound a lot more full and tightened up the bass quite nicely.

True, Jackhammer sound is better for rhythm. I use another to boost it for solos.
Quote by ChrisN
Well stock, the amp has gorgeous cleans. The tube change made them even NICER; I was quite shocked. Sort of made them more sparkly and crisp but without losing the "body".
The speaker change just made the whole sound a lot more full and tightened up the bass quite nicely.

True, Jackhammer sound is better for rhythm. I use another to boost it for solos.

Well, I reckon I'll have do all three.

And that's why I want to get the Satchurator - for lead playing.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO