I recently got myself I nice Ibanez Jet King JTK2, equipped with two Super 58 Humbuckers. As much as I like these pickups, I would prefer to have one humbucker and one single coil pickup to give me a more versatile sound.

Unfortunately, although I have played guitar for years, I have never bothered to change pickups or even look into different kinds until recently, so I really do not have any clue on what are good pickups and what are not!

If you know any single coils which you would recommend, please let me know!

Cheers, Dan
I always hear good things about 'Invader pickups', pretty sure they're single coil, EMG is another brand you could look into, I'm not to savvy when it comes to pickups.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
Quote by FFTLxx
I always hear good things about 'Invader pickups', pretty sure they're single coil, EMG is another brand you could look into, I'm not to savvy when it comes to pickups.

Oh LOL!!! u should at least give a google check before u give info dude. its a Seymour Duncan humbucker and they are very high output.

What type of music are u into TS, that way, other guys can recommend gear easily for you.... and what budget??

EDIT: Arent the Jetkings coil tapped?
i have a modest rig which consists of guitar related stuff
Member of the Laney Cult
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

my band : Fragments.
Last edited by kai2demax at Dec 25, 2008,
what amp are you using? artist sound you want to be similar to? we need info!
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
we need your amp, music style, and....yea to help you best =]
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Dimarzio Humbucker From Hell? It's a very bright humbucker, supposed to get you closer to Strat-ish tones (but it still maintains some HB characteristics).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Hey sorry for the lack of info... like i said, im not used to pickup-talk so I didnt know what to put forward!

Ultimately I am looking for a bluesy tone. I have a strat copy and I like its high end, so something stratish if that makes sense? The combination I am looking to make is the equivalent of a fat strat, with a humbucker and a single coil. The two-humbuckers are a bit too bass-y for me.

Price range is something i am not sure about as I do not know what a decent mid-range pickup should cost!

Thanks for the info so far though, sorry I 'm so ignorant on the topic haha!

Dan
i kinda got lost reading what you said, but i couldnt find where you said what kinda guitar you have, p90s, are good single coils depending on the brand, i think seymour duncan has some p90s, gibsons are good but over priced, if your lookin for a brighter sounding HB i just got myself a seymour duncan pearly gates, hope i helped if not, i dont really know about strat pickups( seing as i have an sg)
I suggest seymour duncan pickups. My favourite pickup is sh-8 invader pickup in bridge position.
Quote by scream92
I suggest seymour duncan pickups. My favourite pickup is sh-8 invader pickup in bridge position.

thats a good pickup, but he is looking for a bluesy single coil, not high output bridge humbucker.

I'm assuming your swapping out the neck pickup? and if your guitar is allready routed for humbuckers how are you going to put a single coil in? or are you looking for a humbucker that is bright and single coilish.
You can still get soap-bar single coils can you not? So I assumed that they would just fit in place as they are the same size? I might be completely wrong though!

I suppose if thats the case then yeah, a brighter humbucker would be next best thing!

Thanks for all the replies btw, its really helping me out!
Which is bigger?
Humbucker or P90?
Because if his HB cavity is small, he could get it enlarged to fit a P90.
get rid of mg, get a valve combo..even a 5w one...you will realise your humbuckers are great
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
I'd reccommend a new amp but if not a Fender Fat 50s single coil is supposedly good for the blues. If you replace the amp, and it is just for practice, get yourself a Fender Blues junior or Orange Tiny Terror. If for a gigging purpose a Fender Deluxe Reverb.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Dec 26, 2008,
You're probably right...

And TS, the MG is probably the issue here.
Go to a guitar store and try any tube amp.
In fact, try the Vox Valvetronix. (It's hybrid, i have it and its cleans are fantastic!)

I thought new pickups would help my tone when i had my old practice amp.

I got a new amp first and my stock pickups sound pretty darn good.
Last edited by unet at Dec 26, 2008,
I say you put a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover in the bridge, and maybe two of the Seymour Duncan Classic Stack Plus single coils in the middle and neck spots.

Also, the Marshall MG is not good at all, and changing pickups will barely make any difference in tone.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
It's not going barely make a difference, you'll be able to hear a difference but overall, your tone will still suffer from the same issues that come from the amp.

Anyway, I'm going to on my usual pimping of WCR pickups. Their single coils are just incredible, unfortunately, they are only made in limited sets and cost an arm and a leg. On the other hand, their humbuckers, are equally amazing and cost much less. Every single WCR pickup I've personally heard is incredible, and I've heard two sets in person, the Darkburst and Fillmore sets. Both equally amazing, Darkburst for a slightly overwound PAF tone and Fillmore for Duane Allman "cherryburst" tone. There is really just something about the pickups that are extraordinary, they clean up incredibly well, and unlike most humbuckers, they sound great split. Amazing actually for being relatively mild output-wise (though the fillmore is slightly hotter than the Darkburst) that they provide such a strong single coil tone. These things kill in les paul type guitars. I've heard though that if you have a lighter guitar like a strat or PRS, or Ibanez, etc. to look at the WCR Goodwoods. Search on places like the LP forum and read what others have to say about these things. I have a set of Fillmores that are going into my les paul soon..

Definitely take a look. Finding the right pickups is something that takes a lot of time and a lot of effort because not everything will sound the same in your guitar as someone else's guitar. So keep that in mind. It might be worth it to spend just that something extra to get exactly what you want. Check out WCR though, send Jim Wagner an email, he's very friendly and will talk tone with you and suggest exactly what you need.
The switches on the bottom of your guitar are coil taps. Humbuckers have two coils and single coils have..one! Flipping the switch makes your humbucker only use on coil, and will therefore sound somewhat more like a single coil, though not exactly like one. If your guitar is routed for humbuckers, which it is, then single coils, being half the size will not neatly fit in. I suggest you buy some decent humbuckers and use the coil taps that are already on your guitar. Bare Knuckle pickups are great hand made boutique pickups, but very expensive, seymour duncan and dimarzio are two famous brands that are not hand wound, and many people are happy with them. There are tons of pickup companies out there, each offering varying degrees of qulaity vs price. Do a search for pickup threads and read through some of them to help build up an idea of whats out there.
...Bleep Bloop...