Alright, I dont wanna pollute this board with dozens of threads for each question, as I have done before, so I am making a thread for all of my questions. Anyone can post their questions as well.

If I want to build a 2-piece carved top guitar (sloping like a les paul) (semi-hollow), should I get a thick piece to put over the body, with them connecting flat and just carve that, or should I shape the body and get a thinner piece of wood and just try and bend it to the body? What thicknesses for whichever is better? The body is mahogany, the top is ash.

Might I get and feedback issues from making the wiring cavity too large (to incorporate 18v mod for one active and a 9v for the other, as well as an extra switch)?

What should I be careful of when making a semi-hollow?

If I have a locking nut, can I turn the strings any way I want once they're through it on th headstock? In other words, can I put the machinheads wherever I want, provided I have something to bend the strings around?
1. Carve from a top of around 10mm,

2. No, but make sure that you shield the cavity,

3. Just be sure not to compromise the strength of the guitar by routing chambers.. apart from that, I'm not sure.

4. Bear in mind that you have to tune up before clamping the nut, so you still need the strings to run through it nicely to the machine heads. Otherwise, you can put them wherever you like. Consider a tension bar or string trees, too. Also... why use a locking nut? Don't bother unless you're planning on using a Floyd Rose.
To carve a top you start with a thick block of wood, say 3/4" depending on how deep you want the carve. You dont bend a thin peice of wood, that would only work with an arch top (bending in one direction, impossible with a carve) I imagine it would still be quite hard to do.

Adding a extra battery wont cause feedback, you get feedback in semi hollow/hollow bodies when the top is really thin and it vibrating a lot acoustically, if you have a thick top you wont have that problem, you can have a huge cavity it wont matter.

(and contrary to what mint said, if you are using EMGs at least you dont need to sheild the cavity, EMGs are internally sheilded)

and yeah only use a locking nut with a bridge that has fine tuners such as a floyd rose, and the straighter the string pull is through the nut to the machine heads the better.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Prisoner5
Might I get and feedback issues from making the wiring cavity too large (to incorporate 18v mod for one active and a 9v for the other, as well as an extra switch)?
Do you mean you're planning on having 3 9v batteries in there cause that's how it reads?
Just use 2 9v (18v mod) for both actives. You don't need 3 batteries.
Quote by Absent Mind
To carve a top you start with a thick block of wood, say 3/4" depending on how deep you want the carve. You dont bend a thin peice of wood, that would only work with an arch top (bending in one direction, impossible with a carve) I imagine it would still be quite hard to do.

Adding a extra battery wont cause feedback, you get feedback in semi hollow/hollow bodies when the top is really thin and it vibrating a lot acoustically, if you have a thick top you wont have that problem, you can have a huge cavity it wont matter.

(and contrary to what mint said, if you are using EMGs at least you dont need to sheild the cavity, EMGs are internally sheilded)

and yeah only use a locking nut with a bridge that has fine tuners such as a floyd rose, and the straighter the string pull is through the nut to the machine heads the better.

Yeah, I didn't read the post properly - I just skimmed and didn't see 'EMG' blazing out anywhere, so I went with generic response of "shield the cavity".

Still, you won't cause any harm by shielding, even though it's rendered pointless with active EMGs.
Quote by Prisoner5
By "sheilding the cavity", what exactly do you mean?
and Bellerophon: are you saying that i can run 2 emg actives through only 2 batteries and still get an 18v mod?

Also, yes two 9V in series will give 18V to both pickups. The fact that there are two pickups will mean that more current will be drained when both are engaged.. but whatever happens, they'll get 18V.
Quote by Prisoner5
By "sheilding the cavity", what exactly do you mean?
and Bellerophon: are you saying that i can run 2 emg actives through only 2 batteries and still get an 18v mod?
Shielding the cavity means lining it with a metallic substance that can negate stray RF signals from entering the pickup's signal path. Most people use sticky-backed copper film you can buy from most guitar parts stores. Aluminium foil should work just as well though.

Mint already answered the 2 battery question but just to expand - although you'll get less life hours from 18v to 2 batteries than you would to just one, it's still in the 1000's of hours of use (providing you unlug your cable from your guitar's stereo jack when not in use) so don't worry about the frequency of battery swaps.

Also if using active pickups don't use a ground wire to the bridge. If it's your own build then just don't put one there, if you're installing actives in a manufactured guitar I'd personally remove the bridge ground if it was there.
Quote by bellerophon
Shielding the cavity means lining it with a metallic substance that can negate stray RF signals from entering the pickup's signal path. Most people use sticky-backed copper film you can buy from most guitar parts stores. Aluminium foil should work just as well though.

Mint already answered the 2 battery question but just to expand - although you'll get less life hours from 18v to 2 batteries than you would to just one, it's still in the 1000's of hours of use (providing you unlug your cable from your guitar's stereo jack when not in use) so don't worry about the frequency of battery swaps.

Also if using active pickups don't use a ground wire to the bridge. If it's your own build then just don't put one there, if you're installing actives in a manufactured guitar I'd personally remove the bridge ground if it was there.

Alright, thanks...only problem is, I wanna run one of them through just 9v and the other i wanna be able to switch between 9 and 18v..but I already requested a wiring diagram from invader jim, so hopefully he can explain. Thanks.
Thanks Mint as well.
More questions:
What are the dimensions for an EMG81 and an EMG 85, and how big does the cavity beneath it have to be?

What is the cavity size for a fender strat single coil pickup?

With a floyd rose bridge, how far should the pickup be from the bridge, and how far should the neck pickup be from the neck? (24 fret neck)
Last edited by Prisoner5 at Dec 26, 2008,