Well, currently I'm running an Epiphone Les Paul Custom through a Digitech RP500, and playing through headphones. The guitar is very nice, however the Alnico Classic pickups arent really suitable for my type of playing, which is metal.

So, I could get some Seymour Duncan Blackouts.

However, I dont really like playing through headphones, and I'd like to get an amp. Recently I saw the Crate V50 All-Tube Amplifier on sale. So, I could get the amp, or the Blackouts.

My question is this: Which would affect my sound more, and give me better distortion tones for metal? I know that the Blackouts would definately help, but I always see you guys saying that most of your tone comes from your amp, and this is a good tube amp.

Thanks
get the amp you will thank yourself in the future, but what is your price range i think i can suggst a better amp if your playing metal
amp

then you use pedals /effects for the metal tone

i have a $400 yamaha with PAF pups and it works for metal, all in my amp and pedal
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
i cant really spend over $200. Blackouts are $170, and the amp is $200
i guarantee you won't hear a difference if you got the blackouts and were running them through headphones. the amp isn't the best for metal, but it'd get you closer than pickups.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Crate V50s are not really voiced for metal
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Look used, I'll bet you could find a VK112 for $200.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, if you get the V50 you'll most likely have to buy a pedal of some sorts.

Not that I'm saying buy the pups, they wont make a big difference. Get an amp, just maybe a different one? I heard the V33 is better for metal..
looks good, but a little out of my price range. I looked used on ebay + craigslist for a VK112, but I couldnt find anything
Keep in mind that I'm using a Digitech RP500, so i wont just be using the built in distortion.
If that helps
Quote by acdcrocks0323
B-52 AT-112 for $360. Look on guitar center's website.

TS cannot really go over $200.

Quote by oneblackened
Look used, I'll bet you could find a VK112 for $200.

+1, the speaker may suck, but they are great for the price used.
I've seen them on Ebay for $175 buy-it-now, so maybe you'll get lucky.

*What exactly is TS's definition of 'metal'...?
Quote by marco515
looks good, but a little out of my price range. I looked used on ebay + craigslist for a VK112, but I couldnt find anything
Keep in mind that I'm using a Digitech RP500, so i wont just be using the built in distortion.
If that helps

If you want an actual good sound, you might have to sell that multi to get an amp suitable.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If you want an actual good sound, you might have to sell that multi to get an amp suitable.

well, your V16 sounds pretty good. Is that just the amps distortion? Or are you using pedals ?