I have some questions about my CryBaby GCB-95...

1. I'm not noticing any tone sucking when my CryBaby is off. Why do people make such a big deal out of it? Is it because I don't have an amazing ear for tone (yet)?

2. I'm most likely gonna do a couple mods to it from using salvaged capacitors. How would I overheat a capacitor? (I want to avoid doing this, cause I only have one of each cap that I need.)

I'll probably have more questions in the future.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
you cant really over heat caps, it would take alot, but what do you want to do with them?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Solder them.... I thought you could blow a capacitor by overheating it with a soldering gun?
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
Solder them.... I thought you could blow a capacitor by overheating it with a soldering gun?

You blow a capacitor by setting it on fire. You can also blow a capacitor by COMPLETELY overwhelming it.
Ibanez STM1
Ibanez Iceman
Digitech Artist Series Dan Donegan 'The Weapon'
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt Modeling Amp
Any modding questions (what to do, etc.) should go to the Wah Modding thread.

You can overheat caps just like any other component. Just be careful. If it's too hot to touch and stays that way for any length of time, you're overheating it.

I've been playing intruments (not just guitar) for almost 8 years and I don't notice the tone sucking either. I just think it's parroting; saying they suck tone just because they heard it somewhere else once or twice. I tend to completely ignore mass opinions like that and usually am pleasantly surprised.
Quote by Invader Jim
Any modding questions (what to do, etc.) should go to the Wah Modding thread.

You can overheat caps just like any other component. Just be careful. If it's too hot to touch and stays that way for any length of time, you're overheating it.

I've been playing intruments (not just guitar) for almost 8 years and I don't notice the tone sucking either. I just think it's parroting; saying they suck tone just because they heard it somewhere else once or twice. I tend to completely ignore mass opinions like that and usually am pleasantly surprised.

In a large chain, it sucks tone due to the bypass set-up (and permanent input impedance/signal opposition) so if you're using a lot of pedals at the same time you might want to true bypass a few.

Impedance isa n important issue in pedal chains, google some info on it if you're interested
^Ok, that's good. I figured it was mostly parroting/bandwagon mentality, but you never know.
Yeah its mostly just in a very large pedal board or with a wireless system. If you use something like EMG's then the tone loss is even less noticeable.