I have heard of them, but I have never liked any bass with them in. Comfort issues...

My question is, how have you all fared with them in the past? I am asking in comparison to my MEC pickups in my $$. I play hard rock, using a lot of the techniques that Ryan Martinie uses. I always want to cut through the mix and am one of the focal points in my band. With those things in mind, would replacing my MEC's be a beneficial thing?
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
if you've only played the bartolini's in ibanez's they're nothing like the rest of bartolini's pickups IMO. their replacement pickups cut through much better. but then again mec pickups seem to cut through ok too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Bartolini has been my favorite pickup a long time, however, I slowly like MEC's more and more.

I think they are the best bridge single coils and soapbars. MEC does a great neck single coil though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Bartolini's I've found to have a smooth, nice tone.

MEC's are edgier, and if you're looking for the tone of a guy who uses Warwick, they're the company you'd want to stick with.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Thanks, guys...

I do love the sound of my Warwick...I was kinda looking for an excuse to spend money. I have decided to keep my MECs, and maybe get a cheaper bass and put Bartolini's in that...

In that case, what bass would you recommend? Or better yet, what body style/wood would pair the best?
Duck

Bass tones are hard to find.
My Band
Mesa Boogie M-Pulse 360
Madison MAB 4x10
Warwick Thumb BO 5
Quote by aceofbass131
Thanks, guys...

I do love the sound of my Warwick...I was kinda looking for an excuse to spend money. I have decided to keep my MECs, and maybe get a cheaper bass and put Bartolini's in that...

In that case, what bass would you recommend? Or better yet, what body style/wood would pair the best?

warmer woods, like mahogany and bubinga, work the best. maple, a great tonewood, is so bright the strong lows are quite weakened by the highs given by the maple. a wood like ash or alder would no doubt permit some very funky low mids, and such.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Remember; there's two types of Barto's. Straight replacements, designed and voiced to fix percieved problems with original pups, or to offer improvements. And the original designs, which are designed to be full-toned, well rounded and powerful.

If I had to buy a bass to throw some Barto's in, I'd probably have a P/J Squier. Their latest basses are very good indeed, and Barto do have a few options for a P/J set, which you can keep if you decide to sell the bass on later.

Although, I must confess, I'm looking at my cheap secondhand Ibanez BTB with lustful thoughts of Barto H/B's and one of their high-spec preamp packages....
Im also interested, What kind of bartolini would make a good single coil neck pickup. Im modding my 5er, swapping the bridge single coil for a humbucker.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul