Page 1 of 4
Maybe you have read my previous topics but if not, I'm into playing metal, hard rock, and classic rock. My favorite bands include Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Weezer. I plan to use it for band practice and for small-medium gigs. Anyway, I was set on a tube amp, specifically the B-52 AT-112.

However, going into my local Guitar Center, I found out that it is discontinued in stores. It was the perfect amp for me, being a 60 watt tube amp and only costing $360 new. However, the guy told me if it's discontinued, it was probably due to reliability issues and B-52 might come out with a new version. I could of ordered it online, but then I would have to pay shipping and I have to wait a while to receive it, then test it out. If I don't like it, I have to send it out again and deal with online return policies.

So for my price range (no more than $550), I found a few tube amps but none were exactly suited for my needs, unless I added pedals, which would be out of my range. However, I found this Marshall MG250DFX that I fell in love with. It's a solid-state amp, so it will never match the quality of a tube amp, but for the price it's a 100 watt amp that's a decent solid state.

I think that for my price range, I couldn't get a good tube amp, only lower end ones, so I got the Marshall for $410.

Is this a good move or not? Or should I get a refund and take my chances and buy the B-52 AT 112 online? (I used a credit card, so I won't have to deal with store credit.)

I'm assuming a 60 watt tube amp will be a lot louder than a 100 watt solid state amp, but I heard the stock tubes in the B-52 aren't that great, and I should swap them out for Mesa Boogie tubes. (But I don't have that kind of cash at the moment.)

What should I do?
Bad move, mate.
Get that refund ASAP and get that B52.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
NEVER BUY A MG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or a cd for that matter.... DONT DO IT!
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Yeah man, there are a few really crap amps to stay away from, and MG is one of them. Never buy:
Any of the Line 6 Spiders
Any Marshall MGs
or any Fender Frontmans.

They're all terrible.
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer
Quote by SynysterGates90
Yeah man, there are a few really crap amps to stay away from, and MG is one of them. Never buy:
Any of the Line 6 Spiders
Any Marshall MGs
or any Fender Frontmans.

They're all terrible.

ehh... id rather a frontman over an MG... but its still **** :P
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Oh dear, I can hear the MG hate crew rolling in.

IMO, MG's aren't that great. But if you like it then more power to you.

Merry Christmas
Yea but most of the people out them who like them don't realize how many better amps are out there
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Yeah, the B52 is much better, even with the stock tubes.
It'll probably be louder too.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you like it better than the cheaper valve amps, I don't see any real reason why you shouldn't buy it just because everyone else says it is terrible. Having not tried the B52, I couldn't tell you whether that actually sounds good or not though.
The B-52 is probably better.

Cheap Marshalls have crap speakers. My AVT sounded like ass until I changed the speaker. Unless you're getting an amazing deal on a SS Marshall, I wouldn't even look at one.

B-52s sound nice, that's what I'd rec.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
well technically the MG250 retails @ $470, but because the only model left in Guitar Center was a store display one, I got it for $410.

It's somewhat of a deal, but if I order the B-52, I will have to wait until Dec. 29th the earliest for it to become available on Guitar Center's website, and then wait an extra couple of days for it to ship to me.

I kind of need this amp as soon as possible, but if Guitar Center discontinued it and SamAsh doesn't even carry it, what else am I gonna do?

(No I'm not buying used off ebay, because I want a new one due to the reliability issues in the past.)

Are there any reliable websites out there that have the B-52 in stock right now so I wouldn't have to wait for it to become available?

I tried musiciansfriend, guitarcenter, music123, musician, etc.
Don't settle on something that's that big of an investment. Especially on an extremely sub par amp.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
You'd only have a to wait only about a week or so. that's not bad.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
B-52 makes affordable good sounding tube amps that are all around useful.

Try one out. I love mine.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
How come whenever I find reviews on guitarcenter.com of amps most guitarists loathe (Line 6 Spider III, Marshall MG, etc.), the reviews are generally great?

There has to be a contradiction somewhere. Are these companies low enough to pay off people to give positive reviews?
The B52s are also much more reliable than the MGs.

^Because all the reviews on GC and MF (and most on HC) are written by tone deaf kids who like that it says Marshall, or by people who are in denial that they bought a piece of crap.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Last edited by darkarbiter7 at Dec 25, 2008,
Quote by gack513
How come whenever I find reviews on guitarcenter.com of amps most guitarists loathe (Line 6 Spider III, Marshall MG, etc.), the reviews are generally great?

There has to be a contradiction somewhere. Are these companies low enough to pay off people to give positive reviews?

I think:
1. Magazines (Total Guitar ) are paid to give good reviews, people buy the amps.
2. The people who buy it (Who are usually noobs at this stage considering the price of the amp) give a glowing review of the amp as soon as they buy it.
3. People read the reviews by the original buyers, buy the amp and post similar reviews.
Quote by gack513
...Or should I get the 60 Watt Peavey Vypyr tube amp?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912

Is it that much better than the B-52?

The only thing I'm not liking from this amp is that I have to buy a $180 footswitch to get the full experience out of the amp.

I doubt the Vypyr will be better than the B-52 TBH, considering Peavey's track record with cheapo valve amps.
Phew, well that clears it up, because I wouldn't feel comfortable spending almost $100 extra on the amp, and then $180 extra on a footswitch.

The B-52 it is I suppose.
Quote by TbaLL
Find a used peavey classic 30

this could be a good solution.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
this could be a good solution.

Here's the thing: my local Guitar Center had a used one for sale, and I tried it out and didn't like it. Then again, I didn't add a distortion pedal to it. A Guitar Center employee says he uses a Peavey Classic 30 himself, but it's for more bright sounding music, ala Bon Jovi, whereas I'm looking for a Metallica sound.

So what do you think?
In other words, I'm game for the Peavey Classic 30 but I think I'll need a pedal to give it a better hard rock/metal sound. (I'm not spending more than $100 on it.)
If you're playing hard rock and metal, i'd go for the B52 over the classic.
The Classic is an awesome amp, but if you're playing mostly heavier music, I'd go for something like the B52 which was designed to get you those tones.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
^^^
definatly agreed. I play a classic 30, but i dont play very heavy music very often. My classic gets me to a van halen tone and thats all i need. A b-52 would be much much better suited for the genres you want to play. I've only had good experiences with b-52 amps and i would recomend one for what you want to play. Definatly try on out though. Also if you can drop a 40 bucks on a bad monkey it greatly helps the B-52 amps.
Quote by enalsisiht
^^^
definatly agreed. I play a classic 30, but i dont play very heavy music very often. My classic gets me to a van halen tone and thats all i need. A b-52 would be much much better suited for the genres you want to play. I've only had good experiences with b-52 amps and i would recomend one for what you want to play. Definatly try on out though. Also if you can drop a 40 bucks on a bad monkey it greatly helps the B-52 amps.

I really can't try it out though, because I can only get it online. It's pretty much either get it and like it, or just deal with it.

Then again, if I was impressed by the Marshall, I suppose the B-52 will astound me.

By the way, why is the MG250DFX that bad?

And do I really need a Bad Monkey? I don't mind spending the $50 extra for it, but I thought the B-52 already has some decent distortion, which is plenty enough to play Metallica.
Or, in theory, would the Classic 30 with a Bad Monkey give me some hard rock/metal tones?

I know the B-52 is designed for what I'm looking for, but if I can get the same result with a Classic 30 and a Bad Monkey (in store), instead of waiting online, I could just do that.
The higher wattage Marshall MGs:

Have a horrible tone/price ratio
are unreliable and cheaply made
are ugly (imo)

You wouldn't necessarily NEED the bad monkey, but it'd be nice to have to tighten things up a bit more if need be.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The classic 30 and bad monkey can take you into metal territory. I can do metallica with my rig, i run a bad monkey into a classic 30. But the B-52 will be better at it. Try out the bad monkey with classic 30 if you can and see if you like it. And the reason i suggested a bad monkey with the B-52 was not to add gain, i just prefer having it to tighten up the b52 i played. it still sounds good without
By the way, since I'm a noob to amps, especially tube amps, is it implied that I cannot get the full distortion and sound I want out of the B-52 unless it is cranked up to a decent volume? So in that case, I can't really practice at home ever.

Is that where the Bad Monkey comes in? Is it to give additional distortion, which I can access at lower volumes?

(What do you mean by tighten up my sound?)
You will be able to practice at home, but unless its cranked it will not sound its best. They still sound great at low volumes. And i dont use an overdrive to increase the gain. I dont exactly know how to explain tightening up a sound, but to me the B-52 distortion sounds a little loose and thin, the badmonkey makes it much fuller and tight. If you heard clips of it boosted and unboosted you would be able to tell.
I'm trying to stay set on the B-52, but I'm more tempted by getting the Classic 30 with a Bad Monkey because I wouldn't have to wait online to get the B-52 and potentially not like it.

Plus, I feel more confident in buying the Peavey Classic 30 used for $380 when it retails for $600 new, rather than a new B-52 AT-112 for $360.
I wouldnt count on the classic as it is not designed to play metal, even boosted. It can do it though. An eq really helps that too. I would try it and see if that gets you what you want before you buy.
Quote by enalsisiht
You will be able to practice at home, but unless its cranked it will not sound its best. They still sound great at low volumes. And i dont use an overdrive to increase the gain. I dont exactly know how to explain tightening up a sound, but to me the B-52 distortion sounds a little loose and thin, the badmonkey makes it much fuller and tight. If you heard clips of it boosted and unboosted you would be able to tell.

Oh, so when you mean loose and thin, the distortion is more "tinny" and lighter, kind of tailored towards lead playing, whereas boosted (making it fuller and tighter) is to make it more ideal for rhythm?
not exactly, i dont know how to explain it with words. Maybe someone else could help me out? but most people boost it for their leads mainly so as to cut through better, however i probably wouldnt turn the OD off. It makes it sound thicker.
Page 1 of 4