So, it's Christmas, parents gave me money for an electric guitar and amp. At the moment I've got $600, but that should increase as the day goes on. I'm thinking my total budget is going to be $800. Also, $500 of that is on a Guitar Center gift card, so I'm kind of limited on where I spend the money. As for tastes in music, I like bands like Metallica, Satch, Vai, Opeth, etc. So a mainly metal guitar would be in order. Scale length and pickup configuration doesn't matter. I've been looking at some Ibanezes. Also, I want a locking tremolo, whether it be a FR, ZR, or Edge bridge. I know it's my first electric guitar, but I figure mechanical things out pretty quickly and I know a couple of good guitar techs in case I have problems. I think I've got the amp pretty much figured out, I'm looking at the Peavey Vypyr 15. Seems to get a lot of good reviews on here, and it's small and cheap . But I'm open to suggestions. So, thanks for the suggestions UG and Merry Christmas!
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
if your lucky you might be able to find an epiphone goth guitar (V, Explorer of Les Paul) on ebay with a floyd rose trem and an amp at guitar center, i always play Metallica and stuff on my goth v (w/o a floyd) and it sounds great
get a jackson or an ibanez
Gear:
Ibanez RG3EX1
Squier Strat (Undergoing Black strat relic)
Line 6 Spider III
Sqiuer SP-10

PSN: Thrasher122
dont get a cheap jackson or esp theyr just not worth the money

the top end ones are brilliant tho
Lady Gaga if you're out there, i don't care if you have a penis or not, i will marry you
Quote by wheatmore
dont get a cheap jackson or esp theyr just not worth the money

the top end ones are brilliant tho

i beg to differ...my JS1 was only $210 and it is a really nice guitar, nice, thick sounding tone..but..its all opinion on tone..what i like isnt exactly what others like..so..i see what youre saying..and youre right..the higher priced ones are reeally nce..but.. the cheaper ones are better than alot of guitars for the price range..but..that is..once again..opinion
Last edited by darkwolf291 at Dec 25, 2008,
I reckon an Ibanez for the guitar and some Peavey amps are fairly cheap and have built in distortion for your metal sounds and are good quality

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
INot calling that form crappy as in a deruagatory term, but that slow lilting blues, that gives off the feeling of just being in the crapper

Well, pretty much just confirmed what I was thinking. Going to sleep now and Guitar Center tomorrow to play some stuff. Any other suggestions are welcome. Also, total budget is $775 (that's USD).
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
Quote by Bristlehead

+1 schecter and jackson is the way to go... i would say look at esp but guitar center dosent carry them.